Pain after hysterectomy

I had a TVH little over a week ago and I am so miserable with pain. Bowel movements are now the most painful experience I have ever known and I have given birth 4 times!! I found this sight and have found a number of women with the same situation. I am now hopeful that what I am going through is normal. Thank You to all of the women that have shared their experiences on this sight!!!

11 replies. Join the discussion

Hi there!

You know, you just had a MAJOR surgery a week ago. What you are feeling is totally normal right now. Did the doctor send you home with pain medications? If so, how are those working for you? If you have narcotic pain meds that causes constipation and that can make bowel movements extremely painful.

Your bowel gets put through a lot during a major surgery. It takes a while for it to 'wake up' and function normally again. Have you tried adding more fiber to your diet? That might help ease the pain. Did the doctor send you home with a stool softener? If not, call him and ask him about that too.

For me, my pain started easing up a couple weeks after the surgery. My bowel took a good month before it stopped being painful to have a movement. Just hang in there, give it a little time. Make sure to rest and pamper yourself right now. Call your doctor with any concerns and they should be able to help you out with those! :)

I find it strange that you are having such bowel pain after a vaginal hysterectomy. The bowels get moved around a lot during an abdominal hysterectomy, but not with vaginal. I wonder if something went on during the surgery to account for it, such as adhesions from previous surgeries in the way. I would call the clinic to talk to someone about it and also be sure to get your surgical report from the medical records department of the hospital. The pathology report will help too. You may get the path report at a follow-up visit with your doctor, but probably not the surgical report. And if the pain meds are causing constipation, the clinic can order something that won't do that to you. It's strange that you are in such pain that it's worse than your deliveries (assuming they weren't epidural). I had zero pain from this. What did the other women say caused their pain?

I agree with mdwstdoula, and i don't think you should be experiencing this kind of pain. This happened to me last June with my LAVH and I thought it was simply what you had to put up with. I ended up i nthe ER and CT scan revealed pelvic fluid accumulation. Normally, the intervention radiologists drain this and the pain is gone but in my case, there wasn't a safe entry. So, they put me on an antibiotic and eventually (about 2 weeks), my body re-absorbed the fluids and the pain subsided. I don't think the bowel movements should be hurting like this. Mine were worse than labor.Call your doc!

I had a vaginal hysterectomy about 8 weeks ago, and did not have pain w/ bowel movements.
As is typical, due to the pain meds. there was constipation, and due to feeling sore in that area there was "discomfort." But if it's pain worse than childbirth?? ...I would say put a call in to the dr. or go to the ER, and get checked out! Just does not sound right, and was not a complication or concern they warned me about whatsoever.
Hope you feel better soon/ Please keep us updated.

Thanks for the advice. On a few pills now, stool softener laxative and some gas ex, seems to be helping! I am resting lots. Husband has taken over cooking and cleaning detail! He has been amazing! Doc says I am doing good and has me restricted to my couch.

Doc said what I am dealing with is ok. Said I should start feeling better in another week or so. Said he also removed a golf ball size syst from the overie I have left.

I am glad you are feeling better. You are only a little over a week out and will continue to improve. Staying on the couch is a good idea. You should lay down as much as possible instead of sitting and standing. You will heal better if you keep pressure off your internal sutures, and laying down is the way to do this. Especially for the next week, stay laying down as much as possible. But try to stay down as much as you can for the next three weeks. Best wishes on a good recovery!

Hi, I am so glad I found your posting. I had my hysterectomy on 10/23. I had no idea that this labor pain would happen for a simple pee or bm! I actually broke up with my boyfriend because he was getting mad at me while I was going through this! When they say to walk more, I'm afraid of walking in public, as I might double up in pain and not be close to my house. I am walking inside my house! It's been 3 weeks, and I thought by now I would be feeling fine, but not yet. I am laying down all day in bed, as sitting on the couch hurts my tummy. I am eating all fruits and veggies and soups along with mineral oil and stool softeners, prune juice and cranberry juice. I just finished antibiotics for bladder infection, because I thought the cramping pain was an infection, but the pain is still here. It's so great to read that this will go away in a few more weeks. I am looking forward to wearing white pants!! I haven't worn white pants in years! Thank you for your stories!
I have always judged my pain tolerance by my natural child birth experience 30 years ago. This has by far come right up to it, and more. My head jerks back, and I have noticed spots on the ceiling that I had never seen before! My lamaze breathing is helping.

Hey butterfly.. Sorry to hear that your man was not as understanding and wonderful as he should have been. I talked to my dac again on Friday and he assures me that I am still on the right path.. I do take the stool softener gas x and correctol every single night but let me tell you when the gut wrenching pain hits now I know it is time to find a bathroom ans FAST!!! I am on day 14 today and feeling better everyday. I am still on the couch for most of my day.. To ease the pain in your tummy while sitting up I find a donut pillow is amazing!! Good luck darlin... you have my sympathy!!!

Try taking metamucil capsules - start off with 1 or 2 caps for a couple of days, then every couple of days, add another capsule until you're taking 6 at one time - preferably before bed with AT LEAST 8 OUNCES OF WATER, which we all should be drinking anyway. This will help add fiber to your diet which helps the intestinal peristalsis - movement. Too much fiber all at once may cause bloating/gas, thus the gradual increase. Also, try Miralax - it's tasteless (put mine in orange juice or apple juice) but works great without cramping, bloating or the sudden urge to go. Again, take it at night before you go to bed. It takes a couple of days to build up in the gut. Basically, Miralax causes the absorption of water in your intestine so that it's easier to go. Drinking lots of water or other liquids (not caffeine) and walking also help to stimulate the peristalsis or movement in the intestines. If you drink a lot of caffeinated drinks, you need to counter that with glasses of water since caffeine can be dehydrating which does not promote good bowel health.

Hi, Thank you for your kinds words. This site has really helped calm my fears, and lower my stress level! I like to know what to expect, so I can work with it. There is no rush to get back to my job early, or vaccuum or mow the grass, it will all wait!! I thank my lucky stars that I am this old, and don't have little kids to take care of while I'm doing this. I have lots to be thankful for. I'm going to try to be a normal person today, shower, and drive to the store for some Medamucil and Miralax, and yarn. My quiet time is good for crochet right now. Thanks again.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NCCC

Help the National Cervical Cancer Coalition reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Discussion topics

Community leaders