not diagnosed

I am scared a struggling with anxiety right now. I am almost 43 years old and for no good reason I have not visited my gyn for annual paps in almost 6 years. About 1 month ago, I started having unusual discharge and irritated vulva. My PCP took cultures and I was positive for BV. My pcp prefers to refer out for pelvic exams but I shared my concerns with cervical cancer. He looked at my cervix and said it "looked pretty good". Meaning there was no visible growth. Five days after the appt I noticed light blood on the sheets after haveintercourse. A few days after that there was light blood on my pantiliner after sex. This has never happened to me. I have had leg and back pain for over 2 years but was diagnosed with herniated/bulging disc . Never even knew these could be symptoms of cervical cancer. I have a 13 year old son and I am preoccupied with this. My appt with the gyn is not until feb 8 but thinking about calling PCP and begging him to complete pap. I am angry at myself because when detected early, cervical cancer can be prevented. I am employed and fully insured. I was totally irresponsible...thanks for letting me share/vent/cry. All I can do is wait. For those who are already diagnosed, my prayers are with you.

27 replies. Join the discussion

Don't take the bleeding lightly. Your body is telling you something. When I look back that's how it started a lil blood after sex & the Dr. told me it was ok, normal & dont worry. Well no it wasnt ok. Later the blood got worse & only after intercourse. Seriously follow up.

You have every right to be concerned about abnormal changes in your body. Don't beat yourself up about what could have been. I have been going to a doctor every year and still had cervical cancer. Bleeding is cause for concern so get a doctor who will take you in this week. Its an emergency! That being said, calm down and do not think the worse until you have all the results.

Thanks, I called my PCP and he will see me this week.

I'm so glad you will get an earlier appointment! I hope you'll let us know the result, especially if it's good! Speaking as the queen of worry-wartism, with a vivid imagination, I had nearly driven myself insane prior to my PET scan, so I understand the stress (my worries were in vain, thank goodness). And I regretted past opportunities for tests which I refused because they were inconvenient. Try not to beat yourself up :)

Other than the pap, should I request other tests from my doctor?

Great to see you are seeing someone earlier. Ask for internal ultrasound, it can help aid in diagnosis.( it can't tell if you have cancer but it help see the area better and may determine if in fact something is growing in the area)

Thanks Curlylocks and laylacat. Thursday seems like years away. My prayer is that everything is OK and I can learn from this experience how important yearly exams are. My greatest fear is that I have neglected my screens for so long that I am now in stage IV cervical cancer, which is not curable. Please continue to pray for me. I can't talk to many people because without a diagnosis, they tend to think you are crazy. I can barely work and I am preoccupied with all of this. When my doctor took cultures for BV, he did routine blood and urine workup. I mistakingly thought that if something was "seriously wrong" it would show up in one of those results. He said both were good but now I am learning that it doesn't matter, I could still have advanced stages of cervical cancer wth normal blood and urine results.... Too much to handle. Thanks again.

One last question, when I go to my doctor on Thursday, it will be the fifth day of my period which is normaly pretty light. So far nothing has changed with my cycle. Will it be OK for me to do the pap being so close to my period ending?

Here's what I found: "The ideal time to have a Pap smear is 10 to 20 days after the start of your last period. Ideally, you should never schedule a Pap during your period. Menstrual blood and fluid can make abnormal cells difficult to detect, possibly causing an inaccurate result. You may be able to get a Pap test if the flow is light. Consult your doctor if your appointment coincides with a period. He or she may want to reschedule."

As to the progression of a cancer, if that is what it is, the fastest growth takes place initially and as the tumor gets larger the rate of growth slows because it's harder for the cancer cells to get food. I was extremely glad to learn this from my oncologists, as it seemed my symptoms and my pain were changing at an alarming rate. I was diagnosed from a colonoscopy, which found one lesion, not very large. The PET 2 weeks later found no significant change and no other cancer in my body. This was despite the fact that I had graduated to percocet and then to morphine, which scared the dickens out of me. I start chemoradiation on the 14th and the docs say my pain will decline rapidly. Hallelujah!

Since I scared myself silly between my diagnosis Dec 11 and the PET Jan 3, I feel free to reassure you that you are not going crazy. Anybody who thinks so has never been in this position. Uncertainty is our biggest enemy. But you might want to get some xanax or other quick-acting antidepressant, not one that takes 3 weeks to take effect. By 3 weeks you may have already had a negative result, and we can throw a party :) That's what I'll be praying for you, morning and night.

Thanks laylacat,

I was just reading about the ideal time to complete the pap. I was so hoping to get it done this week but for fear of having wacky results, I will postpone until next week. I think I will take your advice on the quick acting anti-depressant.

Yea, staying they wouldn't do a pap on me at all until my period stopped completely. Don't beat yourself up I had a pap in August after 9 yrs and only then because I was having lower abdominal pain. My pap came back abnormal with lsil and mild dysplasia. Because of all the other symptoms I delayed my colpo until Nov 30th so I'm still waiting for my results. As far as worrying at first I was hysterical!!! I had myself dead and buried in my mind but then realized it wouldn't change anything. Now i'm just waiting sometimes a little worried but knowing God has my back:) Much love and prayers and peace to you love. Saying the serenity prayer over and over helped me alot!

Thanks Jaded13, You are still waiting from Nov 3oth??? How long does all of this take? If I get my pap next week, will I get the results immediatley. Also, I am new to all the lingo. What is lsil and "mild" dysplasia and what does all that mean? I like the serentiy prayer suggestion.

Never mind Jaded13, I just looked lsil and "mild displasia.

Hi and hope you are feeling better today. I would ask your gyno to do a "Pap Plus" meaning, the tests includes HPV. Be sure if it's positive, the gyno requests DNA types of HPV strain. Also, someone else mentioned a "trans-vaginal ultrasound". I had one of these. After that I had a uterine biopsy, endocervical biopsy and colposcopic biopsy (these were done at the same time). However, all began with the Pap Plus (HPV) exam.

Thanks

Thanks prog3. Right at this moment I am OK. That could change in a matter of minutes. The posts really do help and I am learning from others experience. Still super worried but trying to stay positive. I am going to tell a few family members and close friends so that I have some support while I wait. Trying not to diagnose myself and just wait on the results but we all know how that can be:) I have lost. A few poundds due to stress. It was my New Years resolution to lose a few pounds but did't want it to be like thisThis scare has alos caused me to think about things that I thought Ihave Kforever to consider like wills, reviewing financial record, etc. I know this all sounds crazy for someone who doesn't havve a diagnosis but I have run a lot of scenarios through my head over the last few days. Overall' I AM Still praying for good results but no matter what happensM I want to stay onnected to this site...thanks again and praying for all.

My results are taking longer because I have Medicaid. I also had a transvaginal ultrasound done and would suggest it. You have your posts set to public, more people will answer if you switch it to private:)

Hi stayingprayedup,
I am also a newbie,
Have been feeling dreadful for a few months (since April actually) went to docs back then with breast leakage (I am 42!) so no pregnancy etc - ended up having my ducts removed and was dismissed- wish I had kept on at doc as after getting through Christmas I still felt awful
Had doc appt yesterday who has done a mountain of blood tests and asked if he could perform a smear ( think 1 1/2 years overdue ) he said the top of my cervix was bleeding and sore and would arrange for me to see a gynaecologist
My other symptoms have been extreme tiredness,dizziness and half a stone weight loss over the Christmas period! and very heavy periods ( and a bit of pain in my left leg )
I understand how you feel - it is the waiting to see someone then the waiting to be referred again for more tests that I find frightening
I will be here to hand hold if you like as we take the journey together?
Thank you to all on this site - I have been reading posts for hours before plucking up the courage to join and post x

Hi Laetissimus

Thanks for the support and yes, we can all take this jorney together. I have gotten a lot of uselful help from the ladies on here in the very short time I have been signed on. I am trying each day to stay positive but it's a minute by minute struggle for me. I am praying for you and your strength.

I am 10 years postmenopausal and would not stop bleeding before my pap, so they did it anyway (liquid prep) and gave me antibiotics afterwards, which slowed the bleeding. The blood did not affect the results in my case.

Both of you stay strong we are definitely all in this together:) Baby steps and big HUGS!!!!!

Just to be on the safe side, I switched the appt to the 23rd. Two more weeks to wait but I am trusting GOD for good results.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NCCC

Help the National Cervical Cancer Coalition reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Discussion topics

Community leaders