Leep Procedure

I was looking at some other discussions and I saw women saying that they are waiting for their Leep results? I am confused my Dr. told me that I need to have the leep done and this will usuallyget rid of the bad cells and they don't come back and that was really all he said! All I know is that they laser off that layer of cells and I thought that was it! I was wondering what results you wait for after having a leep done! Thanks!

16 replies. Join the discussion

Hi heather! My doctor had me under the same impression, and I've been meaning to ask the same question! So, while I wish I could help on this one, I'm glad you asked and I look forward to hearing more from some of the other ladies!

I am waiting for my LEEP results at the moment. From what I know and have read, they normally test the piece of cervix that was removed to see if it has clear margins. That way they know if they got it all or not.

the cervical tissue that is removed during the leep is sent to a pathologist and the leep 'results', just like a biopsy, will describe the tissue, indicating whether it's normal or abnormal, and if it's abnormal, there will be a description of the abnormality. in other words, if the pathologist sees dysplasia, the report may indicate, for instance, cin2 or cin3 (just as and example). the report will also indicate whether the tissue removed extended far enough to get clear or normal tissues at the edges, which are called the margins. the doctor's goal is to remove a sufficient area so that the edges are normal, which would indicate that all the abnormal area has been removed.

Hi Ladies,

Whenever tissue is removed it is sent to pathology to be viewed for abnormalities and a report to your doctor is generated (be sure to get a copy of this report).

Your dr is speaking in terms of prognosis, but the actual diagnosis will depend on the findings of the LEEP.

2 weeks ago I underwent a LEEP and laser ablation. I just received my results from pathology this Tuesday. Something I'd throw out there is that if the margins are positive (mine were... she was trying to preserve as much of my cervix as possible), they can use laser ablation to get the rest of the lesions that they can't with the LEEP. While my results came back saying it didn't go to invasive cervical cancer, I am nervous that the laser wasn't able to get all of the bad cells... even if they did, I'm under the impression that the cancerous cells can always come back (although it's more uncommon for them to).
If you do have to have a LEEP with laser ablation, I highly recommend going to the hospital instead of an in-office procedure. I ended up in the hospital and I firmly believe that it has made the whole situation less traumatic. I don't remember anything being done and my GYN thinks that has helped my recovery (no trauma makes it easier to move on).
Good Luck! It's certainly been a scary time for me... and there is so much information out there that it's hard to pick and choose what to take in...

Thanks so much for the replies! So then when I go and get that done, and lets say he says that there is more or we did not get it all will they keep re-doing the procedure until they get it all, and if that is the case then this can go on and on?

To an extent. I have read that after two cold knife cones, it is time to seriously consider alternatives. LEEPS, which are also cones, just a different method, can be done multiple times, again depending on the amount of tissue taken each time. Sometimes I think of this more of an art than a science. Your doctor exercises her/his discretion at the time of the procedure.

It's important to take this one step at a time. Try not to overthink this - it can be overwhelming and you may be rid of dysplasias the very first procedure. Keeping you in my thoughts.

Hi Heather.
I know exactly how you feel, I had my leep procedure done nearly 2 wks ago and my doctor also said that the cells would go to lab to be tested, I dont know if this is any help but I asked him how he knew or thought he knew that all 'bad' cells had gone, he explained that when he does the colposcopy he can 9 times out of ten tell what degree the abnormal cells have reached, my smear test showed cin III and when he carried out the colposcopy he agreed with the smear result and said that because he could see all affected cells he could remove them there and then which he went ahead and did. He did explain that they go off to the lab to make sure that all the cells around the cervix had been taken and that none of them had broken threw tissue which therefore would lead onto something else. He went on to say that although it is just common practice for the cells to be sent off the doctor can normally tell wether or not they managed to get all cells and also tell if they broke through tissue, in my case all was fine (hopefully), he said thats its just like gettting a second opinion, a bit like a smear test should always be looked at by 2 lab technicians, it just has to be done. I hope that if like me, you had/have enough confidience in your doctor to know that he would tell you if he felt anything was wrong. I hope this may help, although maybe I have just rambled a bit, sorry.
Best wishes

I just had the LEEP done last month-the day after I got back from my honeymoon... The doctor did it on
a Friday and called me at work the following Monday to let me know that the cells extended to the margins. She said that it could have been from damage to the edges of the tissue caused by the procedure itself. She only said that she would be checking my cervix to ensure that it was healing okay in 3 weeks, and then check to make sure that she'd gotten everything and that nothing had come back in six months. This sounds like an awfully long time to wait to me. Is this what you guys have experienced? My grandmother had cervical cancer, hysterectomy, radiation, the whole nine yards and I am terrified of not catching things soon enough. While the cells they found in my cervix were not considered malignant at this point, doesn't it seem like they would recheck sooner that six months considering that the margins were not clear? I'm confused.

Heather,
The results that I got back from my LEEP basically verified what the previous biopsy had shown and also stated whether or not the margins were clear. Good luck to you!

mom2_5,

I had my first LEEP done in July...I too am having my first check up in 6 months. As far as I know, they don't want to 'touch' the treated area any earlier than 6 months so that theres sufficient time for the cervix to heal. Having a check up prior to this may irritate or disrupt the healing process, hence the 6 month wait.

Hi...I had the LEEP done a few months ago, and was told that the margins were positive...I'm really worried about what will happen now. I'm due to go back for another pap soon. I noticed that you said your margins weren't clear....what has happened since then? I'm starting to freak out so any info would be great! Thanks.

Hi...I had the same results with my LEEP procedure, and they told me the same thing...6 months. And I had the same feeling that you do....6 months?? But I go back next month, and I'm so nervous. We'll see I guess...just wanted to let you know that I'm in the same boat you are! Good luck.

Hey hilaryliz,
Nothing has happened thus far besides a visit to the doctor. She said that they'll do another pap in Feb. and that because the margins weren't clear and that the biopsy also showed glandular involvement (did they mention anything like that to you, or did they just say that the margins weren't clear? My understanding was that if it weren't for the glandular involvement they would be more hopeful of the body clearing itself of the active hpv infection.)the chances are we'll be looking at conization next time. I'm worried because I don't have insurance right now and I would feel much better if I could go ahead and make an appt. with a gyn./onc. but can't afford to at this point. Sorry to hear you're in the same boat as me. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

I had the LEEP procedure done about 7 years ago and I had to wait about a week for the results. The first year following the LEEP I had to go back every 4 months, then it was every 6 months and finally back to once a year. Since then all my paps have come back normal. I've always wondered what the chances of have abnormal cells return following the procedure but all my doctor says is that "it's rare". Maybe they don't really know. I had my LEEP done in the office and I do remember it being quite painful!

Not to scare you but Drs should inform women of this before the procedure to prepare them!: I had a LEEP procedure done about 3 weeks ago and was told that the procedure would remove all the abnormal cells. 5 days later, I received a call from my Dr that I had cervical cancer. AND usually even the LEEP procedure would have taken care of it if was only 3mm deep but mine was 4mm deep. I now have to have a hysterectomy but mine was found just in time and it will probably be taken care of with the surgery.
The initial shock of the scary word "cancer" has had time to wear off and now Im preparing myself with positive thinking that i WILL be ok.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NCCC

Help the National Cervical Cancer Coalition reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Discussion topics

Community leaders