HPV type 1... is that permenent?

I have HPV type 1. I heard that HPV can stay with you. I also heard from a nurse that mine has a chance of going away because it is mild. I also heard that the Gardisil shot might help my immune system get rid of it. My current test results say that I do not have it I think. I need to confirm it with my doctor because I asked the nurse about what my lab report reads.

7 replies. Join the discussion

mariah, hpv type 1 is the type of hpv that causes warts on one's hands and feets. it's not in the grouping of either low risk nor high risk hpv strain types that are tested for by a gynecologist. assuming you were at the gynecologist's, perhaps they said you have HSV 1, which is herpes.

They told me it was HPV. The nurse said mine has a chance of going away forever since it is so minor. I haven't even had any symptoms. I am pretty lucky.

mariah, you may want to get clarification....if this was a gynecologic exam, then they wouldn't be discussing hpv type 1 since those would be warts, most probably on your hands or feet. the digene hpv test, used by gynecologists, doesn't even include hpv 1 as part of the testing process. more info on gynecologic hpv types can be found at www.thehpvtest.com

I called today to make sure. Talked to the nurse for 10 minutes about it. They told me my cells were abnormal and that I had type 1 HPV. I told them to check me for everything at my most recent exam (at a different facility). Got my results today too. I was tested last week and the doctor is going to call me as I requested to explain it. When I told the nurse at other place about my results (I asked her because I was already on the phone with her and the thing about my med. records) she said it sounds like it didn't show up in the pap. My genitals are also appearing normal from what I do understand on the exam.

hmmmm.....maybe you have CIN1 and HPV? I'm trying to help you out.....but something's not quite right with your info. i would encourage you to get a copy of your medical test results.

I know you are trying to help. She never mentioned CIN1. Just HPV type 1. I just read that CIN1 is mostly involved with the high-risk HPV types like 16. My recent results don't indicate that either. >.< I am still waiting for the doctor to call me so she can make reading my pap results a little clearer.

Gardisil protects from HPV 16 & 18. These are the two that can cause cervical cancer. The lab would not even test your pap for HPV1. I would speak to the gynecologist himself about this info. If you get the same answers get a new gyne.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NCCC

Help the National Cervical Cancer Coalition reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Discussion topics

Community leaders