Hpv transmission

Ok. So all this treatment. 2 surgeries. Cysplatin int/ ext rad etc. It will all hopefully be over soon. Then what. I've read what they have said about Hpv transmission. I absolutely know my partner is who I contracted this from.. So now what.. 30% chance you can get this if you use condoms. They don't know if I can be reinfected again. Now what? No sex again with him? Im not going through this stuff again.. But I honestly don't know what to believe!

17 replies. Join the discussion

I am also 99% positive that I contracted HPV from my husband. He is the only person that I have ever had intercourse with. We met in 2010. By Feb 2012 I had my first abnormal pap showing LSIL/HPV. My biopsy showed CIN1. By October 2012 my pap had returned to normal. My 3 month follow up pap on Jan 2, 2013 was also normal.

My doctor explained to me that once infected with a strain of HPV you cannot be reinfected by it. You and your partner have the same HPV strain(s). Typically, within two years, HPV will regress. Your surgeries were to remove the abnormal cells caused by HPV...not the actual HPV infection.

You can certainly have sex with your partner again.

I have read that theory too. I have also read conflicting ones. My doctor is adamant that he honestly doesn't know... They are coming up with new data. I'm petrified. If there is even the slightest chance I think I would just rather obtain from it altogether. At least until I read something that definitively proves that. The whole thing has just been so painful. Emotionally and physically. When I'm done with treatment and resume my life I will have to have an additional surgery to remove all the scar tissue that has built up inside of me too. This guy I'm with honestly isn't worth it. I know it was him because his x girlfriend (now a good friend of mine) had to have a complete hysterectomy because of Hpv and cancer. I've been with him 5 years. He knew this and didn't tell me.. Claims he didn't know this could happen. I don't know..., I'm honestly not focusing in him right now. I'm pretty focused on getting me through this

Jap I'm curious I too was diagnosis w CIN 1, in April 2012, but I rushed to have a leep/cone surgery done in May 2012 to help get rid of the abnormal cells. you said you pap came back normal in Oct 2012 and Jan 2013, congrats on that. Did your body get rid of the abnormal cells on it own or you opt to have them remove via surgery? My first pap after surgery was ASCUS, after more testing it's now normal,

Neenie right now that's the best thing to do, focus on getting rid of this virus, and living a better healthier life. Love will come again when God sees fit for us. I was bitter and angry, I blamed myself for getting this diagnosis, I know too how I contracted this virus, but for us to start healing process we have to let go of the negative and fill our body w positive energy.

@Neenie01 You should focus on yourself getting through this. My husband did not know he had HPV or anything about it until I had an abnormal pap smear. Fortunately, I only had mild dysplasia. Just be aware that any future partner you have is likely to have HPV if they have had sex before. By the age of fifty 80%+ of the population has had an HPV infection. Most people's HPV clears without causing problems. Maybe you could look into getting the Gardasil shot as you are probably not infected with all four strains that it helps prevent. My other advice is to begin taking vitamins. I took high doses of folic acid, vitamin C, a multivitamin, & a prenatal vitamin after my CIN1 biopsy. My next pap was normal and my follow up pap after that was also normal.

@bklyn077
I never had a surgery. I did begin a vitamin regimen after my CIN1 biopsy. I have kept up with that and my paps have returned to normal. Are you over 30? I am 26 (almost 27). My doctor did not feel like I needed to have the cells removed unless they became CIN2/3 or remained at CIN1 for more than 18 months. CIN1 has a high regression rate. However, I believe more aggressive approaches may be taken if you are over 30, I am not sure.

I was in my early 20's when I had a partial hysterectomy from HPV. I still have my overies. I always wondered if this means that I don't have to worry about cancer anymore or the HPV. I had a Hysterectomy because they found cancer on my cervix and my grandmother had died of cancer the started with her having HPV, she hated going to to the doctors, the only reason she found out that she had cancer was her kidneys shut down, it was all down hill from there, I watched my grandmother slowly die. So you can imagine hoe scared I was to find out I had contacted the same strain of HPV, I like my grandma don't like going to the doctors, I know I should and I do just not as often as I probably should. I am married and have only had sex with my husband since we met 5 years ago, before that though we were both sexually active with other people of course. I am now 34 and well I am thinking it is time to go to the gyno again, just to be safe. I hope that everyone that reads this is going for there anual visits or semi anual visits, and remembers that HPV can kill if not treated on time.

Jap I'm 44 now diagnosis at 43. My doc did offer me 2 choices when I was diagnose w CIN1, he said I can wait 6 months to see if my body can get rid of the bad cells or I can do the surgery. I was so scared and didn't know much about hpv that I did the surgery, I thought about (the what ifs}, what if I wait and my body didn't get rid of them or what if in 6 months it get worst, so I made the choice to get them out. How much folic acid should be taken I'll try it along w what I'm already taking,

@Neenie, I have had similar concerns after having a LEEP, so I can only imagine how much more reluctant you must be after having cancer, surgery and radiation. I've had a really hard time trusting that it's okay to go back to having sex with my partner. We have used condoms the few times we've done it, and Ive thought about HPV the whole time, every time. I know this is not going to make you feel too much safer, but I did buy this lube called Divine 9 that has carageenan in it-- an ingredient which has been shown in some studies to block HPV transmission. I don't know, it's a small measure of security but admittedly not much. I really don't trust it when doctors say that partners can't re-infect each other- it seems to me that it's really up for debate still. I don't know if I got HPV from my partner or from an ex who (it turned out) used to slut all over Japan with random females. Either way, I guess my partner has it now too. this is why there needs to be a test for men!

@bklyn077 Yes, that is probably why you were told to have the cells removed. I know many of the protocols for removal changes when a woman reaches 30. I take 6400mcg of folic acid every day. I take eight 400mcg tablets in the morning and eight 400mcg tablets at night.

Jap, thanks for the info will try it. God Bless.

I was also taking 1,000mg of vitamin C, two fishoil capsules, two multivitamin tablets & two prenatal tablets daily. I take half in the morning and half at night. Since beginning this I have had two normal paps.

Ok, good to know I'll get the vitamin C as well. I'm doing a mutli vitamin, DIM, and probiotics. I heard that was good also, I'll get them on Wednesday. Why the prenatals? Does that have something extra other than the multi vitamins?

They have higher doses of folic acid in them. 800mcg instead of 400mcg.

Thanks u soooo much for ur advice, I'm going today to purchase a few of the supplements u mentioned. Hugs to u.

Where do u get prenatal folic acid

Longs or a store with a pharmacy in it I would think

Yes I too believe a pharmacy or a Duane Reade, Rite Aid, Walgreens or a Super Walmart. If that fails I would try online drugstores. Good Luck.

I get my prenatal vitamins at Walmart. I just like getting 800mcg of folic acid in a pill as opposed to only 400mcg.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NCCC

Help the National Cervical Cancer Coalition reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Discussion topics

Community leaders