HPV High Risk or False Positive Test

ok...so this is wierd....I got my results today from my 2nd pap and colposcopy/biopsies. My pap was normal, and 3 biopsies were normal. This is only 3 1/2 weeks after the first test was taken. I'm happy with the results (great news), but is it possible that the HPV high risk positive w/abnormal was a false positive to begin with? My doctor has scheduled me for another pap in four months.....and said to continue every four months until 4 paps are clear/normal to be safe. Has any body else ever heard of this? I have never had abnormal paps prior to this episode, and tested negative HPV two years ago. The lab sheet did say that the test could produce false positives/as well as false negatives....however the biopsies are usually the good indicator of what is going on.....and mine were normal and clear!

5 replies. Join the discussion

when the doctor did the pap during the colposcopy, did he also run the hpv test? perhaps you just don't have dysplasia, or, the hpv has cleared.

She said she was going to do another HPV^pap series...and then did the 3 biopsies in the colpo.......I had a lot of questions...and she did mention that the test is super sensitive...and false positives/or false negatives are possible but she will just follow protocal to retest every four until there are 4 clear. I plan to take the cautious route and stay on top of this regardless. I was just amazed that I could get such opposite results in such a short span of time. I wasn't aware that a virus could clear/go dormant undetectable so quickly.

i would encourage you to get a copy of all your test results!

Hi Sassymiss -- I second flowershoplady's advice, and would ask for a copy of all your lab reports. It would be unusual for a doctor to do an HPV test in connection with biopsies, and biopsies miss significant lesions about 30% of the time (very rough number) -- but more often miss from the anterior of the cervix. So, some researchers have suggested that doctors biopsy all four quadrants of the cervix, whether they see anything or not to reduce false negatives.

A "false positive" from the "high risk" HPV test is usually when a low risk type registers as a high risk type. That can happen because the test "cross reacts" with some other types. Some types are HPV's 53, 66 and 67 which are actually "indeterminate risk" and 66 has just been added to the high risk screen for the cervista test. But all those types have a low, low, low risk of progression to cancer, but can cause abnormal paps and should technically register HPV negative on the HC2 Digene test, since it's not supposed to look for those types.

HPV can also fluctuate in and out of negativity and so can pap results (fluctuate between various grades including normal). It's really persistent detection of the same type of high risk HPV that indicates risk, so I'd try for at least a few negative HPV tests in a row (along with the normal paps). So... good that you're being diligent about followup!

Also, biopsies can sometimes fully remove lesions (if they're small) and the removal of lesions sometimes prompts clearance of HPV -- so you really could be clear* of the lesions and HPV. Even CIN3 lesions have been known to regress -- and one study found that the longer between colposcopy and LEEP, the more lesions were gone by the time of the LEEP. Of course, a lesion could also progress (or be indicative of a worse lesion), so that's why doctors usually urge prompt treatment of the high grade lesions.

*Where "clear" is defined as maybe HPV gone for good or maybe just below detection (researchers don't know)

Anyway -- I think that's just very good news, and I hope everything continues to be normal & negative!

I had an abnormal pap. A month later I had the colposcopy done. They found one microscopic part of me that had CIN III. When they went in to do the leep, it was gone. The tissue taken was clear. There was no sign of CIN III.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NCCC

Help the National Cervical Cancer Coalition reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Discussion topics

Community leaders