HPV Diet

Not sure if anyone has posted this before but I found it interesting. I read it on the blog of the author of the book, "Avoiding cancer one day at a time" by Lynne Eldridge, MD. http://www.avoidcancernow.com/

Also interesting is the mention about a study concerning tampon use.

Cervical Cancer Prevention: HPV Diet

The HPV vaccine may offer a method of preventing cervical cancer, but what about those that have already been infected with high-risk strains of HPV? What about those over the age of 26, for whom the vaccine is not approved? What about those aged 11 to 26 who receive the vaccine, but are infected with the cancer-causing strains of HPV not covered by the vaccine?

Unfortunately, the controversy over the vaccine has pushed information about other preventative measures to the sidelines. What are these measures?

First of course, is having regular Pap smears and following up on any abnormalities. Pap smears can save lives.

Secondly, try to incorporate foods into your Diet that have been shown to help clear the HPV virus from your body. The HPV virus causes cancer by the inflammation caused by persistent infection. Phytochemicals and vitamins that have been shown to hasten clearance in reputable studies and foods that contain them include:

Lutein/zeaxanthin - spinach, kale, turnips, mustard and collard greens

Beta-cryptoxanthin - papaya, pumpkins, red peppers, tangerines

Vitamin C - oranges, grapefruit, peaches

Vitamin A - carrots, sweet potatoes, pumpkins, spinach

Lycopene - tomato products (especially sauces), watermelon

Thirdly, though it is less convenient, consider using sanitary napkins instead of tampons. In one study, using tampons slowed the clearance of the HPV virus.

For further information on HPV and cervical cancer, go to www.avoidcancernow.com and check out the excerpt on infection and cancer (Chapter five).

7 replies. Join the discussion

thanks mel for finding those articles for us. you are what you eat!

Thanks ever so much for posting that link.

mel -- thanks for sharing that information. These are the things the doctors don't tell us... and isn't it interesting how it takes all of us to put this together?

By the way, I came across a nutrition screen/bloodwork ordered by my naturopath right before my LEEP (at my first appointment with her). My folate levels were off the chart high, meaning folate deficiency (and I doubt any vitamin deficiency) caused my dysplasia progression.

I believe, despite what the doctors say, that the progression corresponded to resumed sex with my boyfriend. I pulled my medical records and studied every pap, every colposcopy, every biopsy. And because my BF and I were on again off again, I can see there's a definite correlation between prorgression or regression depending on when we were and weren't having sex.

The literature all makes progression out to be related to our immune systems - but I swear, they are putting their heads in the sand and ignoring the most obvious clear cause of progression of this disease. It has to do with the particular virus strain (how aggressive a type and variant of that type) as well as how bad of an exposure you get (viral load). And during the period of time when your body is trying to establish immunity, you can continue to spread the infection from one part of your body to another (autoinocculation) or your partner can infect additional parts of the epitheilum that were not initially infected.

My question is.... how do we quickly identify an initial infection and then limit it -- so that it clears as quickly as possible and does not spread to additional spots on the vulva, anus, vagina, cervix? Because once the basal layer is infected with HPV in a particular spot, it's that spot where the HPV could possibly remain forever -- either causing a problem or lying dormant to potentially cause a future problem. And don't we want to limit the number of cells that are infected with this virus to minimize the damage that it can cause?

Hey Corellin,

I had a dream last night that a balm was developed (packaged in something similar to a roll on deodorant or bronzing stick) that is used prophalactically on the entire perineal area that comes in contact with areas of the body not protected by a condom - just glide it on and it creates a 'protective' skin or shield - like liquid bandaids, thereby creating an impenetrable barrier to the contact mode of transmission for a period of time.

Too bad I'm not a pharmacist or I'd experiment with a mixture.

I must be on good pain pills, though, that I'm dreaming this!

On second thought, any researchers/pharmacists out there willing to develop something like this?

Faith -- that's an awesome idea!!

you know, creative genius probably starts with what some would call 'wild' ideas....i like your dream idea, faith!!! (and sorry that you're needing to take pain meds....hope that eases up soon for you)

that list forgot my favorite: DIM!!!! (yep, the cruciferous veggies!!!)

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NCCC

Help the National Cervical Cancer Coalition reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Discussion topics

Community leaders