HPV AND IMMUNE SYSTEM

OK WELL I JUST GOT MY PATH REPORT BACK SAYING I HAVE CIN3 WHICH I AM GOING TO HAVE A LEEP DONE FOR IT. I HAVE PSORIASIS WHICH MOST PEOPLE THINK IS JUST A SKIN DISEASE BUT IT REALLY AN IMMUNE DIFICENCY THAT ALLOWS YOUR SKIN TO MAKE NEW CELLS EVERY FEW DAYS. SO BECAUSE OF THIS I GET SICK REALLY EASY. MY QUESTION IS IF I CAN GET SICK ALL OF THE TIME AND I HAVE A LOW IMMUNE SYSTEM WILL THE HPV INFECTIONS ALWAYS COME BACK? WILL I EVER GET RID OF THIS???

8 replies. Join the discussion

I have studied a great deal on the immune system. Basically, if our immune systems are strong and working effectively, we would truly never get sick.

From what I understand so far about HPV, it never goes away, but again, if our immune system is strong enough, it can keep the virus at bay or make it go dormant.

I do think that if your immune system is not strong enough to fight off the HPV, then the infection could persist and continue to cause you problems. What does your doctor recommend for boosting your immune system to fight both the HPV/dysplasia & psoriasis?

In addition to standard medical monitoring for my dysplasia, I'm also seeing a naturopath to help with my immune system. He has me on 10mg of folic acid daily, a food-based B-vitamin complex, a food-based multi-vitamin, Beta-carotene drops (10 drops/day), 3g/day Vitamin C, & a Vitamin A suppository. Some women also take selenium & DIM (which contains the good ingredients found in cruciferous vegetables).

In addition, I've really been watching my diet. I'm avoiding processed & fast foods & refined sugar & flour as much as possible. I'm eating lots more veggies (especially crucifierious ones like broccoli, cauliflower, etc.). I stopped drinking alcohol & coffee (drink green tea & lots of water instead). I'm also using condoms for sex & using pads instead of tampons.

Here's a link that includes a lengthy list of nutrient support for cervical dysplasia. I would seek the advice of a naturopath or an MD who knows something about using supplements before doing everything on the list, to make sure you get the right dosage. For example, folic acid is good for dysplasia but the kind you get at the store usually has way less folic acid (800mcg) than is needed to effect a change. Plus, some things you can only get through a licensed medical practitioner (like the suppositories).

http://www.lef.org/protocols/female_reproductive/cervical_dysplasia_02.htm

Good luck!

I was wondering this also. I recently had some blood work done by my primary Dr. I get blisters on my hands and feet & every winter it seems to get worse. This year it was unbearable. I finally went to see my doctor & he thought Raynaud's phenomenon (which I had never heard of) so I started researching this & discovered it was a auto immune disease possibly caused by Lupu's. My blood work was good! He suggested dyshidrotic eczema which makes since from cold weather. Not sure if that is an immune disease but I too feel like it's always constantly something lately. I'm starting a new exercise program this weekend & me & my husband are both on board to get healthy & in shape. Maybe things will start getting better. We'll see! My & hands and feet already look better (thanks to sunshine!) so hopefully my LEEP comes back clean, too.

Dear Ashbar,

Thanks for sharing this information and the link - I found the information really very useful.

I'm glad you found it useful! There's actually a lot of information on the web about natural support for cervical dysplasia...I would imagine there's a lot out there for psoriasis as well. I'm really enjoying using a naturopath too.

Best wishes!

Hi hbentley,

I agree with ashbar.

The diet has to be taken VERY seriously, and as you know it is all about boosting your immune system. I have the Epstein-Barr Virus which is also an immune deficiency (having had chronic fatigue syndrome 16 years ago) and I am now also learning to meditate to lower my stress levels.....it might be worth thinking about, or maybe yoga etc.

The EBV produces proteins to trick the cells and make the cells more resistant to apoptosis, therefore enabling the cancer cell to continue to proliferate. I don't know anything about psoriasis when it's associated with HPV. I had a cone biopsy 5 1/2 weeks ago, clear margins, so I am off to a fresh start. I have to make sure there is no recurrence as I'm not sure my body could fight it.

I would like to really encourage you to start on a healthy diet.

All the best.

Hi Ashley

Great link that you posted. Thank you so much...it is really appreciated!

Cheers

I've dealt with HPV for 22 years now. At one point I was tested for HIV because my immune system was not controlling the virus. Thankfully that came back negative. Since there is nothing you can do regarding your immune deficiency issues you mentioned, you can do other things to help boost your immune system. If you smoke try to quite as this is one of the risk factors in all HPV research. Avoid taking steroids which are sometimes prescribed for inflammation and other conditions. Stress will also compromise the immune system.

It is secondary Raynauds syndrome that can be caused by lupus, scleroderma and rheumatoid arthritis all of which are autoimmune disorders. However primary Raynauds has no known cause. Do you know specifically that you have secondary Raynauds? You may be upset unnecessarily if your Raynauds is primary and your doc should have informed you of the difference. Do you have other symptoms of Lupus or RA that would lead him to believe it is secondary Raynauds? I'd suggest you discuss this with him or her and find out which type you have.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NCCC

Help the National Cervical Cancer Coalition reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Discussion topics

Community leaders