hpv and dysplasia during pregnancy

i am just brimming with questions. does hpv escalate during pregnancy? i had never tested positive for hpv until i had a pap test very early in my pregnancy. thats when my hpv went up to cin III in a very short period of time. (i did unfortunately miscarry) but it did escalate from a completely normal pap and hpv test, to cin III in less than a years time.............boy am i glad i found this group. hope i am not driving everyone bonkers :)

10 replies. Join the discussion

yes, pregnancy is an 'environment' that the hp virus 'likes', and also one in which dysplasia may develop. sometimes the active hpv infection and the dysplasia will clear after pregnancy. and, there's a distinction between hpv and dysplasia. the hpv test indicates whether or not the hpv infection is active or not, and shows whether you have high risk and/or low risk hpv infections active. CIN3 is an indicator of the degree of dysplasia (it ranges from CIN1 to 3). hpv can potentially cause cervical dysplasia/cancer, but most women have hpv without developing problems. hope that helps!

I had a clear pap test 6 months before I became pregnant. Six weeks after my baby was born I went for a routine checkup and was diagnosed with 1B1 cervical cancer. My oncologist confirmed that the pregnancy probably accelerated the cancer - we weren't talking HPV or dysplasia, because I was past that.

Incidentally, all my paps (before, during and after cancer) have been negative for HPV. I suppose most likely I have had it at some stage, but apparently cervical cancer can (rarely) be caused by a genetic factor unrelated to HPV.

mobils, do you know if your doctor checked for hpv before the abnormal pap? it seems like most women with normal paps who then discover they have cervical cancer did not have routine hpv testing done. of course, hpv testing is fairly new, and not yet routine for many doctors.

April of 08 I was 2 months pregnant. Pap came back mild or moderate (not sure b/c had since 05). Then in Dec of 08 came back CIN3. Dr was concerned and said this usually does not accelerate this fast, but he does see this happen w/ pregnancy b/c our immune systems are down. I have had a colposcopy and Leep since then.

Will i be able to have babies? Is it better to try to have babies before it progresses to cancer or is it better to wait and get treatment? I dont want the LEEP/Laser, etc..... to decrease my chances of having a miscarriage,etc....Should i wait to talk to a docotr? I want to go meet with a naturophatic doctor before heading off to remove parts of my cervix. Should i ask her what she thinks? I was planning to make babies in the summer or fall.

Skip the naturopath. Having laser or cryotherapy won't have much of an impact on your chances of later becoming pregnant or keeping a pregnancy. On the other hand, if you delay treatment you may end up losing your uterus or your life rather than just bits of your cervix. Sorry to sound so brutal, but that's how it is.

What treatment does your doctor recommend?

o my gosh, please dont delay. i have had friends who had the leep and the cone biopsy both done, and have had children.

I had a leep last year and now I'm five weeks pregnant. Everything seems to be going well and I see my doctor for my first pregnancy exam on the 17th. Wish me luck.

Oh yes and by the way. I had a normal pap smear in February of '05 then had CINIII high grade dysplacia less than a year later in December of '05 but I was also going on two months pregnant at the time, so yes I do think it had something to do with the pregnancy. I didn't have the LEEP done until after the baby was born.

In 2006 I had cin 1 caused by hpv. Didn't have a leep & it cleared itself. I had clear paps until after I gave birth in march 09. Dr says the pregnancy could be huge factor. In june I found out I have cin 3. I was scheduled to have a leep the end of aug then found out I'm preg. My dr doesn't seem too concerned. He said I need a colposcopy every trimester to monitor my condition. If it progresses into invasive cancer, they'll take the baby early & start my treatment asap. I'm really worried what this pregnancy is goin to do to me next.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NCCC

Help the National Cervical Cancer Coalition reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Discussion topics

Community leaders