Hip and back pain after radiation therapy

I have had internal and external radiation therapy. I also had four treatments of chemo. I was wondering if anyone who has also had this above treatment have severe back pain, hip pain and also bone pain. I do not know how to describe the body pain, but if you have it you will know.

I understand that bladder and bowel pain. But I need to get my doctor to understand my problem and the only way that I know is to start this discussion to see if it is just me.

Please help.

15 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Skinsfan--

I had 6 weeks of external beam pelvic radiation for anal cancer. One of the side effects that I continue to deal with is hip tightness and lack of range of motion. I have heard so many others who have had the same treatment complain of the same problems, so I think it is normal, although not pleasant. I continue to do exercises to help stretch that area, which helps some.
I would recommend that you have a bone density test, as radiation can damage your bones. I had one in March and was found to have osteopenia--the precursor for osteoporosis. I have since upped my calcium intake (both dietary and supplements) and also take magnesium now to help the calcium absorption. Please check into getting this test done, as it is not too early to begin preventive measures for osteoporosis. Take care and I hope this info helps.

Martha

I have had a bone density test done and they said it looked within normal range. I know that the radiation damages the bones and makes them hurt.....but here is the deal I am trying to get all the reviews that I can on this matter so that I can take them to my doctor, (no ones privacy will be exposed) and let her read from others. I want to expose the fact that these things were not discussed before the radiation treatment and are hidden after the fact. I am disabled because of the side effects to radiation. I did not know that I would be side lined for life. Therefore, I need all feedback I can get to make all women who have to go through this a better understanding of WHAT can really happen to you.

I had the same issues and have been found to have arthritis. My dr said I will need surgery in a few years. I am in my early 30's and went through treatment about 18 mts ago. I would see if you can have an xray done to view your hips.

Do you exercise at all? I found the more active I was the better it was.

Yes, I was very active before the radiation. I worked with the USPS and came home and work in the yard. Since the radiation...I have found that exercise will make the matter worse. I have had physical therapy with massages and aquatics. Massages are great but only for the moment. I spent my days (disabled now) sitting, walking, laying in cycles. When I overdo it, I am down flat from two days to a week.

Exercising and yoga have helped me with those problems as well. I also do some gentle streching every morning right after I wake up, that really helps.

I also have hip and bone pain. My feet hurt a lot. I wish the doctors would acknowledge that these are side effects from the radiation

Esca

let me guess, your feet hurt on the ball of your feet. The area where the third and fourth toe runs. Please tell me that is where the pain is. I have pain there. It is called neuroma. It hurts really bad. In order for me to stop the pain I have to apply pressure to the area of pain. I have to wear new balance sneakers. You have to wear them inside the house as well. No flat shoes or bedroom shoes that irrates the nerve.

I've had radiation to the pelvic area which ended July 3, 2009. I'm now having terrible pain in my hips and back when I get up from sitting, or lying down for to long. I've not discussed this with my doctor because I am afraid of what I will find out. I use to be a very active person, now I can hardly do anything without ending up in pain. Please let me know what you have found out.

I have found nothing other than I have tears in my labrum and osteophytes with asymmetrical spine, and a bludging disk. The doctors are telling me in "lames turn" well they saved your life---deal with it. I struggle everyday with this problem and I have yet had enough support from my friends on the site. If all who was suffering... wouId speak up...I could get enough support and fight for this. If nothing but for the doctors to discuss the hip and back problem that go alone with this treatment. SPEAK UP LADIES!!! I want your voice to be heard. By the way, exercise and meditation does not help the pain.

Hello, I'm not a lady but I found this site after another sleepless night. I had testicular cancer at 28, surgery and radiation, after which I developed severe back pain. I've never had an issue before and I was always an active person. I gained 40 pounds and the pain started so I assumed that was the cause, I lost the weight and the pain continued to increase. I have been bounced back and forth between my PCP and the pain clinic for over a year now with no real relief. I've tried acupuncture, chiropractor, physical therapy, and of course pain meds. I'm currently on morphine tid and vicodin tid. These haven't been able to keep the pain under control. I've had spinal injections, multiple MRI's and a couple other things. One thing I found is that whenever you mention pain to your PCP they immediatly shy away and it seems like they don't want to aggressively treat your pain. Why don't they understand? They don't have to live with it. They don't understand what it's like guarding your every move, the sleepless nights, the missed events and all the other things you miss out on. I feel like I'm 90 and I'm not even 35.

sfish460

I totally understand your thoughts and pain, for I am only 48 and feel 60. My pain is with me everyday. I have tried all the exerxises that I can do, changing my diet, increasing calcium with no help. I understand that the doctors think that pain meds are like gold to them and do not want to prescribe it. I have been told, "well the doctors saved your life and they are some side effects to radiation" but refuse to prescribe any medication to help me. I have fibromyalgia on top of all the damage from radiation and the doctor will only tell me that my sleeping medication is not working. I do not care if I have eight hours or four hours the pain is always there...I do feel for you and I have no answers to share because I am still looking for the same. If you find some please do not forget me.

Iam dealing with the hip pain also. My onc sent me to a pain gyn that works with a physical therapist. That has helped some. As fas as the sleep a pharm. told me to take magnesium at night. It has done wonders to my sleep. My husband also now takes magn at night. (It has something to do with relaxing the muscles). I finished my radiation in Sept of this year, so I have no clue as to how long I will be dealing with hip pain. I see my rad onc next month, I wonder what he'll advise!

This may seem "off topic," but I think it's important to point out that those of us with hip and leg pain may be missing something important that can be a contributing factor. Yes, it's true that radiation can damage the bones and hip and leg pain can be a result. However, we also need to make sure that we do not have flat feet--yes, flat feet! I say this because a few years ago, I had a stress fx in my right foot, along with a bunion. I had surgery to move the bone back into proper position (he purposely fractured it, then joined it again with a screw) and have the bunion removed. The podiatrist who did the surgery made custom orthotics for me because I have no arches. These have saved me since from horrible back, knee and foot pain. Now that I've had radiation, I know that I absolutely can not walk around without the orthotics in my shoes, even in the house. I still have the hip pain from the radiation, but have to believe it would be so much worse without the inserts. So ladies, if you are suffering from hip, back, knee or foot pain, you might want to be evaluated by a podiatrist to see if orthotics will help. Just a thought.

Martha

I did see a podiatrist but not for flat feet!!!I say one because I hurt so bad on the ball of my feet. I was diagnosd with neuroma. I alway thought that neur=nerve and oma=tumor. The doctor gave me an injection into both feet, then put me into a walking cast with no help to my feet. I have had some not so good doctors. I have also been diagnosed with asymmetrical spine. ostophytes, and buldging dics in L1 and L2, with labrum tears in my hips, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome. The doctors that I go to tell me that exercise is the answer. I do all the exercise I can. I only takes two minutes before the burn begins in my hips and I have to sit down. I have changed my diet, nothing is helping. PLEASE ANY SUGGESTIONS!!!!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NCCC

Help the National Cervical Cancer Coalition reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Discussion topics

Community leaders