Has anyone gotten rid of HPV?

Hi, I've recently been diagnosed with HPV and am very scared. I have no one to talk to about this. My boyfriend thinks it's no big deal and is not very emotionally supportive. I've read a lot that %80 of people get rid of HPV naturally. Has this happened to anyone out there? I have no symptoms of HPV and am really hoping that it will go away. How long did you have to live with it before it was gone. Thanks in advance for replying.

60 replies. Join the discussion

I've had it for 3 1/2 years. I've had a few procedures that have not rid me of dysplasia. After finding this site I realize that hacking away at my cervix isn't solving the problem.

Was your pap abnormal?

My pap only showed that I had HPV. I did not have any abnormal cells though. I do not have an warts either. My dr. told me that most people with good immune systems will get rid of HPV on their own. She said about 80% of people with get rid of the virus on their own and the others would have it for life. I just really wanted to here from one of these people so I could have a better sense of hope. I hope you are doing well and have no further signs of this horrid virus. Thanks.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but once you have HPV you will never get rid of it completely. It is a virus that is in your body for the rest of your life. So when your doctor says something about getting rid of it they are stating it inaccurate. You can clear the current infection. The virus can go dormant for years and years or for the rest of your life and not cause you any problems. But it will always be in your body. But like I said. That is not to say that you cant clear your current active infection and make it go dormant. Hope that helps in some sort of way.

Jenna where are you getting this information from? Because after talking to two doctors, they both stated that the virus "goes away" eventually after a few years. My current OB also stated once the LEEP is done and if everything is clear, she will conduct annual HPV tests so we know when the virus is gone and I'm fully in the clear. And finally, here's an excerpt from the CDC's website:
"Most of the time, HPV goes away by itself within two years and does not cause health problems. It is thought that the immune system fights off HPV naturally. Experts do not know why HPV goes away in most, but not all cases. It is only when HPV stays on a woman’s cervix for many years that it can cause cervical cancer."

This isn't to contradict what you're saying, but if my doctors aren't giving me the most accurate information I'd like to know. If you have more current information, please pass it along.

Here's the CDC URL that I obtained the above from.
http://www.cdc.gov/STD/HPV/default.htm

Hey, this might add to the confusion, but i was under the impression that there are many types of HPV, and some types do naturally go away if you have a healthy immune system and others are more difficult or impossible to get rid of-- e.g. HPV 16 and 18. Types 16 and 18, it is my understanding, are those that are directly linked to cervical cancer. I know this first hand since i have both types...lovely! I have had a laser and a leep in a course of 3 years. I am just now recovering from my leep and on a serious vitamin/supplement and diet to rid myself of either the HPV or the current infection. I have NO idea if this will work, but the steps I am taking now I would suggest to anyone to have a better immune system and healthier life.

tootsiepel, I understand your concern and your fear. It is real, but it is also totally manageable and nothing that should hinder your desire in life! In fact, everyone woman i know, both young and old, have some form of HPV...it is extremely common, as in like i think 80% of the pop has it. (This percentage might not be accurate, but the point is that more people have it than do not.) If you are wanting to look into alternative methods visit the discussion group "How my diagnosis changed my life" and click on "supplementation-schedule" posted by DIM.

http://www.inspire.com/groups/national-cervical-cancer-coalition/discussion /supplementation-schedule/

I am sorry to say that once you have HPV it will never go away. The most you can hope for is that it will go back to being dormant and stop causing problems for you. But its a lifetime virus that many of us are going to have to deal with, roll with the punches. Its very unfortunate that so many people have to deal with this everyday of their lives, but it is better to know and prevent what could possibly happen than to be in the dark about the scary things that are a real possibility.
I wish you the best

It is common knowledge to me that HPV never totally goes away. Alot of women on this site will confirm that if you ask them as will my doctor and the medical classes I am taking in college. We just went over this. It is a virus. Once it is in your body it never goes away. Just as aids is a virus, it never goes away. Unless they somehow find a cure for it, it will not totally go away. Like any other virus it will lay dormant in your body but will stop attacking your cervix. Sorry if this confuses you but knowledge is power. I would make sure to ask your doctor more specifically. I think when they are telling you you can get rid of it their saying clear your active infection and put it dormant.

Thanks for your posts. Potina I believe your right about the HPV 16-18 not going away but other types of HPV will be attacked by your immune system and go away. I choose to believe the advise of two dr.s when they say that you're immune system can kill the HPV and after some time will dissapear. My dr. never told my what type I have though. Frankly I'm rooting for the warts if anything!

Thanks Zemphira for your post. Your dr told you the same thing and this is they type of hope I'm looking for. I drink 3-4 cups of super antioxidant organic green tea per day, I'm vegetarian, and don't eat any processed food. I'm going to have to start exercising to be truely healthy and to have any hope at getting rid of this virus. Thanks again for your posts.

Zemphira, just so you are aware the HPV test can only detect *active* infections. It is true that HPV has the ability to lay dormant for years before becoming active - if it ever does so testing negative on an HPV test does not mean that a person is HPV 'free' it only means that there isn't an active infection at the time of testing (or that the viral load is too low to be detected). Many doctors refer to "clearing the virus" or that the 'virus goes away' but that is generally in reference to the virus not being in an active state. It is when the virus is in a persistent active state that dysplasia and/or cancer is more likely to develop or progress. Currently the experts have not come to an agreement on whether or not the virus is cleared and the body is rid of it forever or whether it is cleared and goes into a state of dormancy, however, I believe many of us women here can attest to the fact that HPV can and very often does become active again later in life without any new exposure.

Yeah this really doesn't sound like %80 of people get rid of HPV. I'm going to call another dr. Thanks everyone again for your posts.

tootsiepell, i don't think you even need to call another doctor if you ask your present one a point blank question of 'does the hpv virus remain in your body for life, whether its dormant or active?' quote everyone on this site if need be. if this doctor of yours isn't aware that it is a lifetime condition he/she need to know this common truth. herpes virus also stays in your system for life but may only be active every now and then or never. but these virus's remain none the less and only seem to become active when your immune system is low. just as you are more suseptable to a cold or flu. i've been through cervical cancer and believe me i wish it wasn't true but it is.

the more common term used is that we 'clear the infection'..... referring to the active infection clearing or going away. but it's generally agreed that scientists don't agree (!) whether or how the virus truly goes away or is in a 'dormant' stage. i'm sure corellin could add more light on this subject, particularly after attending the hpv conference!

Hi everyone,

I've heard a lot of disagreement about whether HPV can completely go away or whether through treatment or natural immune response it can often be reduced to such low levels that it's undetectable and presumably not contagious.

Dr. Hunter Handsfield has said that even though some HPV DNA may persist and be present in cells at low levels, people can go through life and never experience any recurrence:
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/Clarification-of-HPV-clearance/show/24931 2

The HPV forum also uses language that suggests the virus may completely go away:
http://hpvforum.com/hpv-clearance.asp

I think the short answer is that scientists are not sure. HPV has not been studied to the same extent as chicken pox, for example, which everyone knows remains in our bodies forever and sometimes erupts again as shingles.

I do not believe that HPV has been officially classified as a retrovirus. That classification would tell us once and for all that HPV is in our bodies (and most everyone else's!) forever and ever.

Can anyone find a medical web site that definitively classifies HPV as a "retrovirus?" I can't find one right now that actually defines HPV as a retrovirus like chicken pox or herpes, but perhaps someone who's posted here that HPV is incurable for sure in has a link to share?

Sophie

While I have already had this discussion with my physician I will have it again tomorrow at my follow up pap appointment. I agree that some scientists may disagree on the fact of wether this virus actually goes away or not. Right now I believe it is most commonly accepted that the virus lies dormant and does not actually leave the body. Sorry if my knowledge has offended or upset anyone but I believe that knowledge is important. And denying what is believed to be mostly truth can cause damage to ones health and decisions.

jenna, that's my understanding as well. and, when you have a pap and hpv test, etc., for detection, etc of cervical health, the doctor hasnt' screened for the hpv on the vagina, and elsewhere, so besides for screening/detecting on 'active' hpv infections, there is a focus on one physical area rather than a wider spread screening.

FSL - I agree w/you. Why don't they screen the vagina as well? Does't make sense, especially if you have HR-HPV. I'm a perfect example being that I have cleared hpv on my cervix following my LEEP, but I am still hpv positive in my anal canal. IMO, it wasn't my immune system that cleared the hpv, it was getting rid of the infected cells that cleared it! What upsets me is that I am a pretty healthy eater on the whole, so why didn't my body clear it? I have hpv 16 and I fear that it will never clear without some sort of surgical intervention wherever it is active.

My doctor recommends me the HPV vaccine even if I have dysplasia. He says that it can still help. But I do not believe, after I studied some materials about it.
I am after leep but the sample taken during operation showed that some dysplasia still remained. So I suppose that also HPV may still be 'active". I do what I can - support my immunity by drinking Aloe vera and I will also have it injected (my parents bought it from Ukraine, the package for injection usage). Next thing - I take Indonal, tablets extracted from brokoli, cabbage, etc..they destroy the abnormal cells. I hope that my immunity will "win" and send the HPV to go "sleeping", hopefully for ever. Soon I will go for tests so I will see..

The reason they sometimes suggest the vaccine even after you have HPV is reinfection. My Dr has recommended it to me as well. She said that since there is more than one strain I could get another form of HPV that could cause all other kinds of havoc. Or lets say you get this one to go dormant and you have sex with someone and they re infect you. I am thinking about doing it. It may seem kinda hopeless to get it at this time but you never know.

jamiegirl, a complete colposcopy 'should' include an examination of the vaginal walls along with the cervix.

yes, true, but you were talking about a pap. Do you think they should do a vaginal pap too, even before a colposcopy? It's possible that someone would have a normal cervical pap but an abnormal vaginal pap. If the cervical one was normal the doctor might not even do the colpo.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NCCC

Help the National Cervical Cancer Coalition reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Discussion topics

Community leaders