Getting Pregnant with HPV

I have a question for you ladies... I plan to consult my doctor but I would like to know the opinion also of a woman that also has HPV. Two Months ago I was diagnosed with high risk HPV.. several weeks later had a colposcopy.. the results came back LSIL and I will return in 6 months for another examination to check the spot in my cervix. I am 27 years old.. will be 28 this september... my husband and I had been talking about have a child shortly preceding this diagnosis... I was wondering where it would be smart to continue with our plan and start trying in a couple months or if we should continue to wait.. my fears are that the longer we wait it may become harder to conceive.. or if I would have to have further procedures in the future it could begin to create scar tissue.. we feel really ready but I just dont know with the HPV present if it is okay to start trying? any thoughts?

12 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Hummingbird,

If I were you, I'd wait until my next pap before getting pregnant just to make sure the dysplasia's cleared.

Regarding the HPV, remember that you will always have it -- what you can do is to keep it dormant by having a healthy immune system, but the virus will be there.

Good luck with your decision!

Su

i would encourage you to be as healthy as possible before you become pregnant, for both you and your baby's health. hopefully your dysplasia will clear on its own, and your next exam will show a normal pap and negative hpv test! and, you're still young and have many years ahead of you to 'make babies'! :)

Also, it is worth noting that dysplasia can get worse during pregnancy due to hormonal changes; so things can go from CIN1 to CIN 3 or carcinoma more rapidly than you might see in normal circumstances. Doctors can monitor you with colposcopies, but usually won't do surgical procedures such as LEEPS, etc. while you are pregnant.

ok i had dys. when i was pregnant and it went a way after i had the baby so, you can get pregnant and the one you have is low.but all hpvs are diffrent there are slow and fast pace hpvs .if you are cin 1 low then you have nothing to weiry about. but you do want to have a child before you get in your 30s. people who have there first child in thier thirtys are more appt to breast cancer . I know this because my aunt was told this when she got breast cancer . it does not run in our family and she has had it 4 times now,and she had her only child in her thirtys.

Hi Hummingbird. I have had the exact same thing happen to me. I would suggest trying to get pregnant now. Most likely we will be fine in the long run, but you never know what could happen in the future with the HPV/pre-cancer. So if you end up getting pregnant now, at least you will (hopefully) have that one healthy biological baby, just in case things take a turn for the worst later on. And I have heard from my doctor and many other websites, that almost all the babies and pregnancies end up being healthy and normal while being carried with mother's that have HPVn or related issues. Just some advice! It's what I am going to do, probably.

Hummingbird -

I think this is something you really need to talk to the doctor about, like now. if you are going to start trying or really want to, go talk to the doctor and see what he/she has to say or if they feel it is a good idea at this point. As mentioned above in other posts, sometimes it can cause the disease to advance, but in others, it can cause it to go away altogether, as the cervical changes during pregnancy can make the situation more favorable.

There are numerous factors at play, but I really think the doctor or high-risk pregnancy doctor would be a good start. It is really about getting your doctor's buy-in before you start and making sure they will go along for the ride, even if the HPV does progress. So, go with your hubby, bring your questions and get the answers you need.

Best of luck!

P

I wanted to mentioned regarding Jayquins post above. This is not actually correct. The progression of HPV (though several strains are more aggressive than others) is contingent on so many factors that one cannot tell someone they have nothing to worry about. I realize your intentions are good in wanted to reduce any anxiety for hummingbird but the fact is that immunosuppression which occurs during pregnancy can indeed accelerate the progression of HPV (I know this from personal experience as well as research articles).

Hummingbird - I would address your HPV before becoming pregnant and make sure you are healthy and in good shape before embarking on an attempted pregnancy.

Pregnancy causes hormonal changes which can promote dysplasia, so I would definitely try to clear it before you become pregnant. If dysplasia suddenly regresses after pregnancy, it's my guess that the dysplasia was caused by the pregnancy and then when hormones stabilized after delivery, the dysplasia regressed.

Hummingbird,

I had a pap smear done just one week before finding out that I was pregnant. When I returned to the doctor the following week for a pregnancy test, he informed me of the fact that the pap had come back abnormal (ASCUS).
My doctor never followed up with a biopsy and told me that it was only "Mild Dysplasia" and would probably clear on its own. If it didn't clear, he said that it normally takes 6 to 10 years to progress and was nothing to be concerned about.

I was supposed to get another pap smear after the baby was born, but ended up losing my job and medical benefits, so it was close to 4 years before I went back. Now, I find out that I have CIN III or 'Severe Dysplasia" and need the LEEP procedure, so I definitely believe that my pregnancy had something to do with the rapid progression.

On another note, my second pap smear also came back ASCUS, which was a little alarming to me, since it should have been HGSIL, so you really can't rely on just the pap results, in and of themselves, to determine the degree of your condition. I'm glad to hear that you had the colposcopy done, but I wouldn't recommend trying to get pregnant until you get a normal pap AND biopsy. Seems a little risky, in my opinion. Talk to your doctor and get his take on it, but its been my experience that doctors are not a wealth of information when it comes to HPV. Good luck to you!

I am a nurse, although not in this particular area (med-surg strictly). And I also have HPV or at least when I was younger I had abnormal papsmears that have since cleared up. I too am wanting to start a family and have concerns.

I would advise you as someone in a somewhat similar situation to talk to your doctor before making any decisions. It is an exciting time getting married and starting a family, but I want to make sure that I am doing everything I can to have a healthy pregnancy, thus hopefully a healthy baby. And I am sure you do to so it is better safe than sorry, and I would def seek a professional's opinion.

It was nice though to read about others who have HPV and have had healthy pregnancies and babies.

My own personal experience- I had abnormal paps/ hpv for a few years before pregnancy. The pap before pregnancy was finally mild (from many moderates), and a month after birth it was severe/ CIN 3. Since then I have had a Leep, and finally the last pap was normal.
Good luck to you.

Your doing the right thing by talking to your doctor- as every situation is different. Hearing others responses and experiences will help you know more questions to ask.

Here's my experience:
2 Abnormal Paps in college, colpos- low grade- no major issues. Clear for 2 years. Conceived our first little one in Jan 09. Abnormal PAP and high risk HPV-in early February, the doctor would just keep an eye on things and most likely it would go away on it's own after I had the baby. Miscarried in April at 11 weeks (no heartbeat at first ultrasound, missed miscarriage)- I do not think this had anything to do with my HPV or dysplasia!!! I believe that the change in hormones and reduced immune system with pregnancy allowed the HPV and dysplasia to grow/come out of dormancy. After healing from the miscarriage (with lots of complications) I had a colp (mid-May) to follow up the abnormal PAP. The colpo results showed HSIL-CIN III. LEEP in early July. Results showed LSIL no HSIL!!! I think my immune system was cleaning up and taking care of business. In my 20/20 hind sight, I would have put off the follow up colpo to allow my body more time to heal after the miscarriage- maybe I wouldn't have had to have the LEEP (which I am now worried will cause complications in a future pregnancy). At the time, I was just terrified that it was going to turn into cancer and thought I was doing the safe, smart thing. This whole thing delayed our attempt #2. We are now going to try in Sept (which is when #1 was due). I asked my dr. prior to the LEEP if there was any reason he would tell me not to try in Sept...he said no, there was no reason we couldn't start trying again. BUT, since the colpo I've been doing what I can to get my immune system as strong as possible so that when we do try again, hopefully, it won't come back (which is a huge fear). I don't think that my pregnancy will be harmed by the HPV/dysplasia, even if it does come back, but in my situation if it does come back, there is a chance it could progress even further (praying it doesn't). Like I said, this is my experience in a nutshell- I'm sure you can use this to fuel some questions for your doc.

Don't forget every situation is different, talk to your doc about your options that will keep you and your future bean healthy. You can't predict how your body will react or behave. Try not to worry or stress and do everything you can to keep healthy and postive! (I know easier said than done...)

Good luck :-)

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NCCC

Help the National Cervical Cancer Coalition reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Discussion topics

Community leaders