Did or does your cancer have a smell?

I don't know about any of you ladies, but my cervical cancer has a smell. It has really changed how I feel about myself. I don't smell like a woman, I smell diseased. I am hoping treatment and getting cured will help me get back to normal again. Has anyone else had this experience?

5 replies. Join the discussion

I did have the same experience. Before my diagnosis I had a discharge that the Dr kept treating as BV (the paps kept coming back normal with some bacteria). It was my third or forth examine in a couple of months when he visually saw the tumour and took a biopsy.

Anyhow... my complaint to the Dr was this discharge that was foul. I had thought it might be bladder related as at times it would be heavy (would "gush").

I too have the same troubles with how I feel about myself. While it is now gone (chemo/radiation/surgury) I always fear it will come back and while this probably sounds very strange I am on constant "odour" alert!

Yes, that part does go back to normal after treatment!

I have not personally had this experience. However, I do work at a hospital and in my time there I used to work on an oncology floor. Cancer has a distinct smell. Whenever we would admit a patient with certain types of cancer the smell was very noticeable. I dont know exactly what causes the smell, but i have heard it goes away after successful treatment

Did you notice your dogs smelling you more? DH doesn't smell anything different, but my Lab keeps wanting to smell me. It was what made me go in for a pap after too many years skipping it.

I'm also a RN, and I believe cancer does have a "smell" I have often noticed it on pts who weren't diagnosed yet. When I started having sx----I said to myself-----that smells like cancer. AND it was!!

the good news is----its seems to have gone away with the radiation & chemo.

Hang in there!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NCCC

Help the National Cervical Cancer Coalition reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Discussion topics

Community leaders