Concerning Tampons

I thought I would ask this question here. After I received my colpo the doctor said I shouldn't wear tampons for a while. Does that mean from now on? I miss wearing tampons and I haven't worn them for the past few periods. Is it a healthier decision with health issues relating to HPV and cervical health not to use tampons? What are some of you ladies doing? Does wearing tampons negatively affect your health as it relates to HPV? Dysplasia? CIN? CC? Etc.?

Thanks =)

16 replies. Join the discussion

well, i know that i am not comfortable wearing them eventhough i had my cone procedure 3 months ago. I don't want to irritate my cervix but i guess you need to ask your doctor when would be the appropriate time for you to start wearing tampon again.

I personally more or less stopped wearing tampons about 2 years ago. (My periods aren't too heavy, so pads are ok). For some reason, I just feel more comfortable with knowing I don't have anything "stuck" in there, if that makes sense. I still wear them during my softball games, going to the beach, and especially when it's really hot out in the summer. I'm just more comfortable not using them unless the moment calls for it.

But, as long as they're used properly (changed frequently, etc) I don't see why they would be a problem. At least give your body a chance to breathe and use pads overnight maybe.

I agree with Miltie & Taylor. I stopped using tampons when I had my LEEP procedure and now only use them on very rare occasions, such as swimming. It's easy for me, though, because periods are light. Shouldn't be a problem if you change them and if you feel lubricated enough so that they're not irritating. I sure wish I had stopped using them while I had dysplasia, though, because I think they contributed to a less healthy environment.

Well, did you have a biopsy? My doctor told me nothing in my vagina for 2 weeks. But, this is because he took a biopsy. I wear tampons during the day, but I wear pads only during the nighttime.

I went back to tampons this periods. I used them for about 2 days thru the heavier flow then went back to pads. For some reason after all this I feel better about not having the tampon in me.

I had a colposcopy and biopsy on Monday, April 28. My doctor said i could use them and resume intercourse with my boyfriend in 5 days. I got my period that Thursday and used pads the first 2 days and by day 3 used a tampon and had NO problems, no pain - nothing.

I'm having a LEEP done on June 4 because my biopsy came back as CIN II. I'm told I can go back to tampon use and intercourse after 4 weeks.

And I plan to do both - I could not stop using tampons, and have been told there will be absolutely no risk using them in the future after the 4 weeks have gone by. Since I learned I had high risk HPV - I have also learned that a number of my friends have had biopsies and or LEEPs - they just never spoke about it, because it wasn't a big deal to them! They have all gone back to their normal routines. Personally I just can't see any correlation between the HPV virus and using a tampon.

My doctor is a Board Certified Gynocological Oncologist who practices at Columbia University - Medical Center as well as a private practice in NJ. He also teaches and has one awards for his research - so I trust what he says.

But we all need to do what we are most comfortable with and based on what our doctors tells us.

once you're no longer in the waiting period after a biopsy or after having a leep, it should have no impact on your hpv infection or dysplasia development whether or not you use tampons. of course, to maintain good vaginal health, you want to change them freqently enough. and, you may want to look into using tampons (and pads) that have no bleach in their manufacture, such as ones made by natracare.

Just did some reading on diet tips to help clear the HPV virus from your body ( posted it in the prevention area ) and I did read there is a study that
showed using tampons slowed the clearance of the hpv virus.

I'll have to ask the doc about that one.

in addition to avoiding chlorine bleach, the natracare products are all cotton, so there's no rayon or other synthetic materials. there's lot of articles out there on the internet about dioxin levels, and whether or not they're valid is a whole discussion in itself, but i think it's good to do whatever you can to keep the vagina as healthy as possible, avoiding chemicals.

i would also encourage women to avoid synthetically made fragrances and colorings in products they use on or next to their vagina, from soaps to laundry products.

melgreeneyes, i'd be interested in reading the study about hpv and tampons....do you know the source so we can learn more? thanks!

No I do not know the study. I assumed you would since you are discussing all natural tampons.

I posted in the prevention area and listed the link and quoted the article, but it just says 'study' - hence why I will discuss with my doctor. I've been using playtex 'regular' absorbency tampons my entire life and don't intend to switch brands at this time, but will still discuss with him.

Here's an excerpt from the attached link:
http://www.selfstudycenter.org/topic_uncomfort.htm

Cervical Dysplasia & Yeast Infections

Modern western culture does not set aside time for women to menstruate. Women themselves do not wish to alter their typical lifestyles and activities simply because they are having a period. As a result, many women, especially young ones, use tampons to minimize the effect of menstruation on their lives.

Tampons are convenient, provide minimal hand and eye contact with menstrual blood, and make walking, running, and other physical activities easier than when having an absorbent pad between the legs.

But what are the consequences of using a tampon? The walls of the vagina are lined with a mucus membrane, much like the lining of the mouth. Imagine if you were to put a tampon in the cheek of your mouth for 3-7 days, 24 hours daily. Your cheek lining would feel raw. This is what a tampon does to the vaginal lining.

As a result, the vaginal mucous membrane secretes extra mucus to sooth its irritated membrane. This is why some women experience a mucus discharges after their menstrual period ends. If tampon usage continues, month after month, the irritation of the vaginal lining causes an overgrowth of cells, in the same way as rubbing the skin of the hands can cause thickened skin. This is the body’s way of protecting its skin layers.

As the tampon rubs on the cervix, skin covering that organ will develop extra layers, as well. This overgrowth of cervical skin has been called cervical dysplasia. It is a direct result of the mechanical irritation of the cervix by tampons, and is reversible.

In addition, an irritated vagina has an inflamed mucous membrane which is more susceptible to infections and which oozes lymph fluid. This can create an environment ripe for yeast growth, producing yeast infections. The cause of these infections is not the yeast. It is the irritation of the vagina that makes it possible for yeast to grow and attack the vaginal lining. It also makes it possible for bacteria to grow, which is why tampons can cause toxic shock syndrome.

Tampons, then, can lead to vaginal irritation, cervical dysplasia, and vaginal infections.

thank you again corellin for getting to the source of this tampax question for us. instead of just re asking ones doctor about it, if you bring the study or article to show him he may have a different opinion. doctors are more informed about how to cure than how to prevent. that has always been one of the differences between alternative medicine (prevent) to ama (cure).
i believe holistic stuff for prevention but is i did get sick then i go to traditional drs. for the cure.
i don't have to worry about my period any but if i did i certainly would not take any chances with my gynecological health, especially anyone on this site who already has compromised gyn health.sex is a hard enough one to avoid for me making using a pad a walk in the park in comparison.

like you, ariel, most times i use more 'alternative' approaches for prevention, but conventional medicine for treating/curing illness. that was a good distinction to make - thanks!

Ha! Great reply, Corellin! Makes sense & sounds like a logical foundation... nevertheless, it implies that I can indeed use tampons as long as I do not to a point, where I irritate the mucous membrane inside my vagina. In my case, that would mean "tampons on Day 2". For the rest of the days, when my vagina's too dry, I will use pads.

I shouldn't even be complaining, because I don't even have a heavy menstruation but an extremely light one or any pain or itch or whatsoever, but I'm wearing pads for the 2nd day in a row now, and apart from spending more time in the lady's than anywhere else and walking like a penguin with hemorrhoids, I seriously feel like, I have to do that for 2 more days and I get diaper rash! There is no oxygen circulation whatsoever, I'm sweating and feel like breeding on my very own germ culture! Gargh!

Hey Ladies, this was the hard part for me. Ive never worn pads since I started my period. I hate them, feel like Im wearing a diaper and self concious about it. I hate hate hate them. Still, i wear them now because my doc says I should avoid tampons until I have my hysterectomy. What got me to the doctor in the first place was because I had severe pain one day while wearing a tampon and other problems so I went to the doctor after six years. The doc said that saved my life. If I waited another year she was sure I would be looking at chemo instead of surgery. I tried wearing a tampon for two days when I was in the clear to do so. It was not bad but the doc said to avoid them so I am. I only have three more periods until I am done for good with them anyways so why not. This is a great site and thank you ladies for all the information you have posted on this topic. Interesting and informative.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NCCC

Help the National Cervical Cancer Coalition reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Discussion topics

Community leaders