COCCOBACILLI FOUND IN PAPSMEAR

my papsmear result showed that i have bacterial infection coccobacilli.. prior to that i had excessive discharge.. first it looked white then turned to greenish and has a foul smell. and my vagina is sore, the inside of my vagina is itchy and reddish.. so i went to my ob gyne, she said it could be trichomoniasis, she prescribed DOXIN 2x a day for 7 days and FLAGYSTATIN suppository once a day for 7 days and CLARITIN for 3days.. so i followed the treatment.when i got back to the clinic to get the result of my papsmear it appeared that i have bacterial infection coccobacilli. and my ob gyne looked at my vagina and she said that it's still sore though it has improved. she prescribed 3 FLAGYSTATIN for 3days and 6 LACTACYD VAGINAL GEL.. im on my 2nd day now, i still feel some itch in my vagina. i am advised to have another papsmear next month. i'd like to know will i be okay after i finish this treatment? is this life threatening? please help, i am really worrie, what should i expect now? is this chlamydia? i remember my bf who is a foreigner said that his left testicle was aching.. im afraid, i told him about this and he seem to ignore me.. i've only known him for a month.

9 replies. Join the discussion

Hope this helps I found it online. But if I'm not mistaken chlamydia is treatable and not life threatening (as long as its taken care of). So definately make sure you go back for your follow up pap. Hope this helps, and best wishes for a positive outcome.
Coccobacilli can mean alot of things.... but it's a bacteria. It can range from chlamydia to H. infuenzae. It can also be bacterial vaginosis. If it was an STD, your doc would have told you. Shift in vaginal flora is read as bacterial vaginosis. (NOT an STD). Bacterial vaginosis is a big medical term for a disturbance in the yeast and normal bacteria in your vagina. Which can be caused by stress, some medications, douching, taking bubble baths, no reason at all.

thank you jennmarie83.. means a lot to me.. im just hoping that things would be okay soon.. im really depressed right now. a year ago i had genital warts and i had them removed. now it's a different one.. but when problem arises, my bf would leave me, considering that i got this from him

Have you tested positive for hpv at all? There are strands of hpv that cause genital warts. Hpv is an sti. It is sexually transmitted, however it is a virus that your body can get rid of on it's own by your immune system.

HPV only goes into dormancy- the immune system is key in supressing it, BUT it will never be completely gone; It can "come back" at any time.

Jenn*

thank you jennmarie83 and jennstar.
last year i had my genital warts removed and my obgyn said that i should abstain from having sex for a year, which i did. then now i have a new bf and he has inspected me with this coccobacilli bacteria. we've only had sex twice. first time we did it, i havent felt anything bad except for my discharge which i notice became white.. then he told me that his left testicle has been aching. i searched online and it said it could be epididymitis or a symptom of chlamydia.. im just afraid if this is chlamydia. coz a week after we had sex the second time, there a has a great burning and itching in the inside of my vagina and i took a look at it and it's all red.. and has excessive discharge. first it doesnt smell bad but the following day i started to smell bad and my discharge turned greenish and had a foul smell.. so i took the medicines that the doc gave me for a week.. then came back to my obgyn and said that i have to continue another week of treatment. right now i feel like my pelvic is somewhat aching. i dont know if im just going to have my period or if this is pelvic inflammatory disease.. are the medicines that im taking now working?

Well everyone is different and if its still aching or any other symptoms after your completely done with the dosage then you probably need to call the doc and ask for a stronger medication or ask what other things it could possibly be. Even possibly google your medications and find out if they have worked for past patients etc. And also the side effects the pelvic pain could just be from trying to heal, a side effect, or the meds not kicking it out.

And jennstar I know. However it doesn't show on pap's when your "dormant" and some women get clear of it with proper diets and supplements.

@jennmarie: okay i will inform my doc.. hope it's nothing serious.. im afraid if it's PID or what.. thank you for taking the time answer my questions.. i really do appreciate it.. God bless you. happy new year.

Chill Girl!
If it were an STD your doc would have found it on the pathology screen. Coccobacilli are bacteria naturally dwelling in the vagina. When the vajayjay is disrupted (by stress, diet, pharmaceuticals) your bacteria can sometimes overtake the area thus causing vaginosis. though annoying, very easily treatable....so don't worry. ;-)
p.s. you should have yourself and any potential sex partners tested before any sexual contact is made...i know this isn't the most convenient thing to do but it's so worth it. as a woman you've got to empower yourself! <----I'm a Mom and therefore lecture.

thank you raunalong :) i reeeeaaallyyy appreciate that.. :) happy new year!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NCCC

Help the National Cervical Cancer Coalition reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Discussion topics

Community leaders