Chemo Port Placement

Hi All,
Does anyone have any input on port placement? Arm or chest? Are there pros/cons for placement location?
Mine is scheduled for placement on the arm, but it seems that most others have it on the chest????

Edited January 10, 2009 at 11:04 am

5 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Jane, I can't really help you there. They put mine in the top of my hand each week. Did you ask them why the arm, instead of the chest? When I was doing my chemo it seemed most people with ports did have them in the chest. I'll email you later to see how you are doing. Amy

Hi Bookbabe20--

First, let me wish you the very best with your upcoming chemo treatments. When are you to start?

I had a port put in my chest on July 21st. Since I had to wear a chemo pump, I was glad I had it in my chest. If it had been on my arm, it would have gotten in the way of everything, not to say that it still wasn't a major inconvenience. It made it hard to sleep at night, go to the bathroom, etc. I had the pump for 4 days, 2 rounds, and both times, could not wait to get rid of the thing. I kept my port until December 8th. It made blood draws so simple and relatively painless. I wasn't sure the first time they stuck that needle in my chest what it would feel like, but it really wasn't painful at all. Plus, I was given Lidocaine/Prilocaine cream to apply to the site of the port about an hour before blood draws, and you barely feel anything at all after using that stuff. I would definitely ask for some if you can get it.

Getting the port put in was not too bad--I was out for the procedure. It was painful for the first few days, but after that, not bad at all. For the first 2 weeks, you are not supposed to get it wet, so had to cover it with plastic wrap when showering. They may also restrict your lifting and exercise for a couple of weeks after it's put in. Getting it out was much easier--under "twilight" anesthesia, and afterwards, only had to take Tylenol a couple of times for discomfort. My incision is healing nicely, although I still have quite a bump where the port used to be. With time, this swelling should go down.

Again, good luck with your treatment. I hope this information helps, although, your doctor may have the final say as to where you have the port.

Martha

I have only ever seen them in the chest.

I was asked if I wanted one for this round and I said no. I don't know....I just don't want it.

I've had twilight anesthesia before and it did not knock me out at all...so I'd go for a general if they will give you that! :)

Thank you for the input all. Have a great Sunday all- Go Chargers!!! :)

I had no idea a port was an option until my third round of chemo. Had I known I would jumped all over it. I think the part I dreaded about it the most was the nurses not being able to find a vein. With the constant blood work and everything else a port would have been welcome. If I were you I would choose your chest. Seems to me anything else would get in the way. Good luck to you.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NCCC

Help the National Cervical Cancer Coalition reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Discussion topics

Community leaders