Can a caregiver transmit hpv to a child through bathing or changing diapers

Hi,
I just want to say that there is so much conflicting information on the internet that I really need some real answers.
Last year I asked a nurse if a caregiver could transmit hpv (not the strain that causes genital warts) to children through bathing and changing diapers. I was told absolutely not, mothers with hpv do this all the time.
Here is my predicament: When I was a child myself (13) I babysat and now I am scared I passed Hpv to my the children I cared for. I was not sexually active, but I was terrified of using a tampon and in order to go swimming, I had to have my mom put it in for me. At that time, my mom had cells removed from her cervix and at the time I never put 2 and 2 together. So, my reasoning is that I got hpv from my mother, because she was my caregiver (and she had me vaginally so she could have passed it on them) and then I unknowingly passed it on to children I bathed and changed. I can only remember one child's name and where they live after 25 years. I feel that I must go and warn this person, because what if they decide to remain a virgin their entire life and never go get a pap smear and then I might have passed the disease to them. Even though I'm not 100% sure I even had it at the time.
I know this sounds a little strange, but I just feel that it is my responsibility.
However, everyone is telling me that if I do this, she and her family will think I did something worse than this because I am associating it with an STD and then a whole big drama will start.
I don't know what to do. If I had some definite answers, I could make better decisions. Please anyone help.
Thank you.

6 replies. Join the discussion

ww4, hpv is transmitted via intimate skin to skin contact. this can include intimate 'touching', but unless you touch your genitals and then touch the baby's genitals while bathing them or changing a diaper (which would be very unlikely - and a whole 'nother problem!), you would not be transmitting your virus, which is on your genitals. the non-wart causing hp virus is not passed to babies during birth, and the wart causing strains can be passed (rarely) and they cause problems in the baby orally. again, remember that this is a skin to skin touching transmission. if you have an active hpv infection on your cervix, regardless if it's high risk or low risk, you were exposed to it via intimate sexual contact. i would encourage you to continue to learn more about hpv so that you can also understand how it's transmitted, and ways to reduce the risk of transmission. a good starting source of information is www.thehpvtest.com. i hope this helps....knowledge is power!

Remember that the majority of the population has been exposed to HPV at some point in their lives so if the virus was transmitted that casually, everyone of all ages would have it. That's just common sense, ww. Why would you think HPV could survive in soapy water? I hope you're not kidding about this. This is a serious website about a serious problem!

Hi Marsha,
Thank you for responding so quickly. I really mean no offense..I agree this is a very serious problem, that is why I am so concerned.
I wasn't thinking about soapy water, I was thinking more in terms of putting desenex or other ointments on the genital area before you put a diaper on or washing the area with a washcloth..I know the washcloth moves around and your hand can touch the skin around that area.
I just really don't understand how this all works and I know that the childrens own mothers can have hpv.
I guess I just worry alot and I never want to feel responsible for harming someone on purpose or accidentally.
I felt confident when a good nurse told me there was no way this could happen, but then I read about how they did a study and they found it underneath men's fingernails and then I started thinking..what if I went to the bathroom and didn't wash my hands well enough and it could be passed from hand to bathing, etc. because from what I know is it lasts along time on objects. This is causing me tremendous anxiety.
Thank you.

WW, have you done any reading about HPV? Flowershoplady is right, knowledge is power! Google HPV and read all you can from credible sources. I can't positively guarantee that HPV can NEVER be under a man's fingernails, but if that happened, I'd wonder what the man was doing to get the virus under his fingernails. (Get the idea? It's just implausible under normal circumstances.)

You sound like a responsible, caring person. I hope after learning more about the virus, you'll be less anxious and stressed out.

marsha, if your posts were the first I had read when coming to this site as a newbie, I doubt I would have ever stuck around to get the help I so desperately needed. I posed the same questions about bathing with my son, putting diaper cream on him, etc. but received much more tactful, and helpful, responses. I bathe with him and sometimes it's after I've gone for a run or exercised outside, so we both get clean together and used to share a washcloth. You made it sound like these were stupid questions but they absolutely are NOT. Perhaps, as it occurred with me, this site came up in a search engine as one of the RARE and FEW things ww43296 was able to find on HPV on the internet that does not simply repeat the same, vague information. It is very hard to find detailed information about HPV, in my opinion, and I received much kinder reponses than the one you gave to ww43296. The way you responded to her hit a nerve with me because it sounds just like the mean people I have spoken to when calling around trying to find a doctor to perform an anal pap. Why on earth would someone joke about things like this?! Why would you talk down to them and make them feel stupid for asking??!!

fyi, marsha123 is gone....she was very critical of others on another discussion thread....and her response to the negative feedback towards her posting/response was to leave the community.

fortunately, overall, i think the members of this community are incredibly supportive of one another.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NCCC

Help the National Cervical Cancer Coalition reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Discussion topics

Community leaders