Bleeding and Sex after Leep

Hi, I had a leep done 3 weeks ago. I am still bleeding, most days it is very light, every so often it gets heavy for an hour, then goes very light again. My first question is how long did you bleed after your leep? When did it fully stop- where you stopped wearing pads?
My second question is how long did you wait to have sex - how long after leep and how long after the bleeding stopped? And did you have bleeding after having sex or did it hurt?

I moved while waiting to get in for the procedure - so my doctor is 2 hours away and I'm waiting to hear back for a family doctor here. I have an apt with my gyn November 17 (6weeks after). My doctors papers say 4 weeks for sex/tampons, 3 weeks for bleeding, and I see lots of sites say up to 6 weeks, but I am looking for what real experiences where.

I know I have a lot of questions, thank you so much for any answers

32 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Melissastar!
For me the bleeding lasted about a week after my LEEP. As for how long I waited to have sex, I started back way too soon. My Hubby and I started back after only 2 weeks. I do not recommend this! It did hurt some for me, but as I said I started back too soon, so if you wait longer it should be more comfortable for you. Keep in mind that no matter how long you wait, you will need to remain mindful of positioning. Ask your partner to take his time, be easy and avoid deep penetration as you first return to sexual activity. You will probably find that the positions that yield deeper penetration are the most uncomfortable because it will irritate a still sensitive cervix. The cervix takes quite a while to heal. I had my LEEP back in August and I still have to be careful in order to avoid pain.
The good news is: if you are careful and your partner is caring and gentle with you, sex will be as wonderful and satisfying as ever, possibly more because of the two of you being more in tune with one another. Good Luck & Take Care!!!

I wish I was able to answer some of your questions but I was told 10 days to 2 weeks to wait for sex and bleeding could last up to a month. I waited 15 days and then my partner and I tried to be intimate again. I started bleeding heavily in the middle of everything. Once we stopped the bleeding slowed to barley anything. I have read numerous posts on here lately that say I was informed worng and should have waited longer. Now my partner feels as if he has hurt me. I would just suggest waiting. Just give yourself time to heal. I only wish I would have found this site earlier.

hi melissastar,

my bleeding lasted about 2 1/2 weeks. on my third to last day of bleeding, i had really heavy bleeding, then all of a sudden it got very light and then not at all. i have not had sex with my fiance yet, he is too afraid he will hurt me and i think we read 6 weeks somewhere. it is somewhat frustrating, but at least the 6 week mark will be very exciting!! hopefully your dr will call back soon. from my experience though, it is never soon enough. let us know if the bleeding goes away. have you had your post op yet? i went in the day before i stopped bleeding, the dr said i was healing nicely, and next thing you know i was done. very bizarre.

also, to the rest of you, when did you start working out again?

I waited six weeks, both times, for sex and for working out.
Sex has never really felt the same to me since the LEEPs. Don't know if it's psychological or physical.

I ended up having the Leep and got my monthly during my healing process. I've been bleeding for 3 1/2 wks now. I went in right after the procedure because it wasn't clear if it was the procedure that caused the severe bleeding and child sized clots...but ended up being the period that came early. Supposedly, my Doc (a woman) who is is gracious and has a great bedside manner told me that what she could see was a period. It started out as spotting with these pieces looking like rust particles, then turned into severe clotting, to the point physically that I felt like I was giving birth., My own Doc got to see first-hand a clot emerging from my body that I couldn't believe I would let a stranger see....
I was looked at and told from a "professional" that I started my period and this was heavy, we'd have to biopsy my cervix to make sure there weren't any abnormal cells there". Ok fine, let's take a look. If not, I want to have whatever procedure is available to eleviate this pain. If so...then let's talk about treatment and what I can do to get rid of this as it has taken a toll on my relationship with the man who has finally come into view that really does love me. Who wants to continously bleed and not know why? I cannot take this not knowing..and I don't expect him to either! This is something I cannot handle as a person...

I had my LEEP back in September and was told to expect bleeding and "spotting" for several weeks. It has been almost 3 months and I "spot" often and experience what feels like cervical contractions with heavier bleeding that last an hour or so. I had my fist post-opt check up and the Doctor said that it was fine to have sex... but, with the spotting and bleeding and strange contractions... I do not feel physically or emotionally ready yet.

Here I am answering my own questions for anyone else who is curious about this, lol.
I stopped bleeding/spotting after 4 1/2 weeks. I then had mild sex after 6 weeks without any pain or problems (bf and I were both nervous and cautious). At 7 weeks we resumed normal sex without worrying about depth or position without any bleeding or pain.

My doc changed my appt to tomorrow so I still don't know if everything is good (margins, healed). But hoping so since I hadn't had pain-free/bleeding-free sex since getting the 1st abnormal pap over a year ago. So hoping this is finally the end of all the problems :)

Thanks for sharing Melissastar! Sounds like you did a nice job of waiting until your cervix had healed enough before you resumed sex. And, I too am hoping for you that your next pap is normal and there are no more problems!

Hi Melissa, how soon after your leep did you get your period? I am supposed to be starting mine around Saturday, and kind of nervous that it will be longer than it's supposed to be (going on vacation a week and a half later) I guess worrying doesn't do a whole lot, but just curious. Thanks!

Hi, my period started on time a few days after I had my leep. I bled for 4 weeks (heavy or light) then nothing for 2 days and my period started a couple days later (on time again) it was my usual about 5 days. And each period after was on time and normal length. So if your bleeding has stopped I would assume that your period should be finished before the vacation. Have a good trip :)

Thanks Melissa. Can't wait for all of this to be over with!

I had my leep Feb 13th, 2009 and 1 1/2 weeks later I started bleeding BAD. I called my doctor after this went on for four days. I had originally thought I had started my period but what had happened was I had picked up my son (which I wasn't supposed to do) and the scap on my cervics broke and I started bleeding from it. The doctor put some medicine on it to stop the bleeding and now I am back to just healing.

i had my leep almost 2 weeks ago and i kinda have the same question>> I cant really remember what my doc said abou it bc i was a wreck everytime we spoke about it, so any answers would be helpful. I was wondering if there is discharge (im sorry if this is gross) and does it look like black.
and what about ur first period after, is it terrible cramping??

thanx:)

hi Melissastar.... I wish I could answer your questions but I just had my leep Thursday ..Thus far day 2 was heavy bleeding mild pain day three (today) moderate bleeding heavy pain :( and ohhhh the stress

Hi Aly,

I had my LEEP 10 days ago, then got my period 6 days after the LEEP - ugg. In my case, yes my period was heavier than usual and seems to be lasting a bit longer. The cramps were a lot worse than usual. It's normal to have light discharge following a LEEP up to 4 weeks, too.

In reading up on this, it sounds like many of us have heavier periods following a LEEP or Cone procedure. I'm imagine that it's the body's way of healing and responding to being "interrupted".

A good standard to go by for the quantity of discharge with your period is going through more than one pad in an hour. This may indicate heavier bleeding than normal and you should contact your Dr. in this case.

I had a LEEP two weeks ago. I have been bleeding somewhat heavily for the past seven days. It's dark blood w/ an awful smell. Ughh, I'm soooo ready to go back to tampons but want to wait until I'm done bleeding this first round. My period isn't supposed to start for another four days. Is that too soon to use tampons? (It will have been 2 1/2 weeks since the procedure). My doc (who I normally LOVE) didn't advise me about ANY of this post-op bleeding. He said this procedure was very similar to a colposcopy, which I've had twice w/ no side effects.

Doc said I'd be good as new after two weeks, but I'm clearly not back to normal. He didn't even suggest that I come in for a post-op visit to make sure everything is healing nicely. I'm not scheduled to go back until my next pap, which is four months away. Is it unusual that he didn't suggest I come back in sooner? He called with results that were good---said it looks like he got all the bad cells.

Since this was my first LEEP, I don't know what to expect (esp since he didn't tell me ANY of this!)
How long will I continue to bleed? How much longer should I wait to use tampons and have sex? I feel so gross b/c it even smells weird...and it makes me not even want to go out and be around people. I'm starting to feel depressed and just want to get all of this behind me!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

shoegirl99 my doc said wait 4 weeks before inserting anything in the vagina. And I had the smell as well. It wasn't' really a horrible smell but it was very very strong. My five year old daughter said I smelled funny. it was awful.

I had the LEEP procedure done 2 1/2 weeks ago. I am post-menopausal, so no worries about heavy periods. I had it done in the OR, under anesthesia and for several days wasn't sure they had done anything! No pain, no bleeding, no other discharge. Then after a few days I began spotting. That has continued since. No other discharge. Saw the doc for my post-op exam and he said I was healing nicely. He said I could resume sexual activity whenever, but I'm waiting at least 2 more weeks, having read others' posts.

Overall, though, the whole thing was not nearly as scary as I'd thought it might be.

I had my LEEP done on June 9th.... All abnormal cells removed with clear margins!!! YAY! Thank you Jesus! I went back to my doc on June 25th for a follow up just to be sure the healing process was on the right track. I have had smelly discharge and very little spotting. On the 25th the doctor said she could see the scap and that healing is going as planned. I have read for many that the scap falls off between 7-10 days post LEEP...... Is it normal that I'm at the 4 week mark with no real bleeding? And I've been VERY nausea. Any input will be great. Heal well all :)

hi,
i have read on all the post that u guys have written... my gf just had a LEEP done abt 2weeks ago (today is the exact day that she had it done) and she began to bleed 3days after the LEEP... there were inital "big" clots to begin with and for the next 4-5 days she have been bleeding non stop... for the 1st week she have been to nearby shops for groceries and stuff... but ending of the 1st week she began the heavy bleeding as i have mentioned above... then she restricted her movements to just by walking around in the house and lying on the bed... however the bleeding did not stop for the next 4 days... she went to the Doc and he did some procedure (i am not really sure the actual name... but it involves electric burning into the vaginal). and according to my gf there was a burning smell and she experience sharp pain straight after the procedure was done... and yesterday (the day after the procedure was done) there was minimal bleeding... but today the bleeding continues... I am wondering if this is normal... and we have abstained sex since the op...

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NCCC

Help the National Cervical Cancer Coalition reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Discussion topics

Community leaders