Bleeding after LEEP....Still

Hello-

I want to see if anyone out there has had a similiar experience to mine...I feel like I'm going crazy.

I had a LEEP done on Dec 9th, so about 3 1/2 weeks ago and have been bleeding bright red blood ever since. Sometimes I can go for two days without bleeding and I think its stopped, but then I will go pee and the toliet is full of blood again. I don't understand. I saw the doctor a week and a half ago and she put some solution on my cervix to stop the bleeding which worked-for a day and a half. The bleeding is not heavy, but still it is bright red. Has this happened to anybody?? And if so when did it stop? I'm reluctant to see the doctor AGAIN for fear that I'll just end up repeating the last appt and waste MORE money but I will if I'm the only one that's experienced this.... HELP!!!

46 replies. Join the discussion

I'm answering my own discussion to possibly help anyone out there that experienced prolonged bleeding after the Leep procedure.

I ended up bleeding for 4 and 1/2 weeks. The bleeding was on and off, light and heavy and scarily BRIGHT RED! After a visit to my doctor and several phones calls we decided for me to wait five weeks and then if the bleeding didn't stop the doc was going to cauterize the area. Thankfully, it stopped-no infection occured or anything else. It was just my bodies way of healing.

If anyone has any questions, please ask-it was frustrationg for me at that time that nobody answered my questions, so I just want any ladies to know that they are not alone with the healing process.

Hi Kk, I know you are past your bleeding stages (lucky you!!) However, I had an episode similar to yours last night... I am currently on my period, but wow I would go to the bathroom and the toliet water was completely full with blood (sorry to be descriptive) This happened all night when I went to the bathroom, it has subsided a bit since. Even though I'm on my period, I've never seen that much bleeding. I am hoping it's not an infection. I am thinking maybe the pressure of peeing pushed onto my cervix and made it bleed? I have no clue.

Who knows why but just know it is normal and just one of the stages of healing. My bleeding got very heavy in that last week before it finally subsized. I had toilets FULL of blood whenever I would pee. It feels so terrible-like you're bleeding to death. Some good news though-I'm having my second period post-leep and it is pretty much normal, light even. I had the usual cramps the first day and after that just a normal period. WHEW! I was worried it was going to be weird from now on but nope. I'm thinking the stress of having a period on top of the leep trying to heal up causes all the blood, I think it pushes off the scabs. Anyway, what week are you in?? I know you are going on vacation soon....keep me updated.

I had my leep feb5th . I have had 2office visits and one to the er. All this bleeding has been so miserable. I feel like I am loving in fear of the next clot or gush. It makes me feel better to know I am not alone. I feel like I will never be normal again!!!

I meant living in fear not "loving"
I am typing with one finger on a tiny iPod key board. It's so I can lie down and use gravity in my favor.

You will be okay. Believe me I know how scary it is and how much it sucks. This too will pass-hang in there

I originally posted my situation as "spotting after leep" yesterday... Hopefully you can read it and tell me if any of you were in this situation. I can't judge the amount of bright blood because even with my period I am a strict tampon user so all this blood is freaking me out. (BTW I'll warn you....I created this situation) I was spotting watery pinkish yuck 10 days post LEEP...and then decided that for the gym I would use a slender tampon...(the dr said it should be fine) NO WAY. I may have to go into the office for them to use the cauterizing black meds...
I think the tampon took the blackish meds with it when i took it out (sorry girls for all the graphic info) and just irritated the cervix. I am so worried I compromised the healing process.

I'm sooo glad what I'm going through you guys have as well. I had my LEEP June 25, had pinkish discharge afterward until my peroid 4 days after which was normal. Then bleeding was light, some days none at all, but come this week it started again like having a moderate peroid. Not enough to fill a pad in an hour but enough to make me a little scared. Maybe dancing on the weekend wasn't a good idea. I just I just have to be patience.

I don't know if this is a stupid question- but how can you even tell the difference between bleeding from healing and bleeding from a period? I had the LEEP done on June 27, and only had a discharge for a week after (no spotting even, and barely any cramps). But then after a week, I started getting the BRIGHT red you're talking about! It seems like a period, and it makes sense because it could just be early. But my periods are usually much heavier and darker (sorry!!)...so how the heck do you know the difference? My doctor thinks it's a period and said I can use a tampon if I want but now you scared me kiki! Is this sort of what you went through?

Hi all, I had a similar situation. I had a LEEP and did not bleed after, only mild cramping and slight discharge. After 6 days, I started bleeding bright red (not blood stained discharge but RED BLOOD). Like some of you, it was worst after going to the bathroom. It seemed like the blood was clotting at the bottom of the toilet. It continued for 8 days. I was getting really worried - particularly as I had had an orgasm on day 5 (no penetatrive sex though) so I thought it may have caused it. I also had lower back pain - particularly at the end of the day. On Saturday (day 6) I stayed in bed for most of the day it seemed to get better. I rested for about an hour or so the following afternoon too. Since then I have just spotted lightly (brownish) (3 days now) and I am due to start my period this week. I have now resumed normal activities (walking to work, running around with kids etc) and it seems ok although the spotting is boring but better than bleeding. I am not sure if it was the rest or just a coincidence that I stopped bleeding but hey, I would recommend rest if you can because I don't think it hurts. I have read other women's posts which have said that it is normal to bleed after 7-10 days. I am not having the discharge or black stuff yet though. Are you guys? I do feel like I have to urinate more though. It is so nice to share concerns on this site.

I am unfortunately going through the same thing. I had my LEEP done six days ago and the bleeding had become periodic throughout the day until now. Bright, red blood that never seems to end! I am seeing some clotting which I know is the body's way of healing the wound but I am still somewhat apprehensive. I have been resting and doing my best to eat foods that are conducive towards happy recoveries so why is this happening? Could this be a good sign of the scab falling off sooner than anticipated? Gross, I know, but we've all been there. Any insight is appreciated.

Well the heavy bleeding stopped after two weeks for me. There's just some brownish spotting now, although I have noticed that when I become very active that day, for example I'll left a heavy of groceries or sprint up the stair, I'll have a more pinkish spotting. So I recommend for those who are still bleeding, just hang in there and take it easy. And no matter how frisky you feel, take it easy.
As for using a tampon, I wouldn't especially within four weeks of the procedure and it increases the risk of infection.
As for when do you know its a peroid or just bleeding ... well I guess you don't really. My doctor said my peroid would be more heavy than normal, but it appeared normal and lasted for the same amount of time. Then I had another few days of bleeding a couple of days afterward, so it was like having my peroid twice.

I've posted before on this site about the very heavy bleeding after my Cone Leep. I even went in to get cauterized 3 weeks after the procedure which didn't help and I don't recommend it. I think the affected area on my cervix was so large that there was just a larger area to heal. Now I'm 5 weeks post-Cone Leep and know I need a hysterectomy, and the GYN says I don't have much cervix left. We do what we have to do to avoid cancer.

Marsha,

Sorry to hear that you have to have a hysterectomy. Does that mean that your margins were not clear? Has your bleeding stopped. Just to say that I am thinking of you. As you say, we do what we have to do to make this horrible hpv go away. Let us now how you are. Best.

I don't know what it means to "have your margins be clear". My bleeding has stopped. I'll blog after I'm home from the hospital to say how the surgery went. Thanks for writing...M

I had LEEP December 16th and ended up in the ER on Christmas Day with my poor Mom and Dad so worried, and my family at home worried! The ER doc had to call in the on-call GYN because his initial cauterization method didn't stop the bleeding. The GYN re-applied the Monsul's (that honey-stuff they use during LEEP). That finally worked. He explained that they commonly see this with people who have their tonsils out, 7-10 days after surgery. What happens is the scab comes off and the bleeding starts. Since then, I've had some very light spotting and one follow-up with my doctor who confirmed that everything looks good.

If you have excessive bleeding and most importantly clots (you'll know it if you have them, it's gross), time to see a doctor, asap.

Hi kkiki. I had my LEEP done on Jan 4. It was painless (I was knocked out) and generally easier than I expected. Unfortunately, this bliss did not last. I had no cramping after the procedure and mild bleeding. Within a week the bleeding turned into heavy drainage. I would leak water like someone had emptied a water bottle in my pants! It was completely unexpected especially since my GYN (she is awful and I refuse to see her now) told me recovery would be similar to my colposcopy (that was 3 days of discharge and I was done). I feel lied to of course which is aggravating as hell. The bleeding returned about a week and a half after the procedure and has not stopped since. It has now been 17 days of bleeding and more bleeding. I had to go to the ER on the 15th due to a morning bout of some seriously heavy bleeding, but that has since tapered. Now I go through points where I bleed (like the 4th day of a period) and it seems to be getting better only for it to start getting slightly heavier a day or two later. Tomorrow is my birthday and I will NOT being doing anything since I am so miserable and angry. If I had known that this would be like this I would NEVER have done this. The cramping and lower back pain started about 10 days after the procedure which only made my misery worse. O and I know it is NOT my period since I am on th Depo Provera shot and have not had a period in many many years. The ER doctor (who isnt a GYN) said things looked "fried" but ok. I see a new GYN on Feb 2, but don't want anyone to touch me at this point. It is affecting my entire life. I am so happy I found this site. Seeing that others have been through similar experiences helps especially since most doctors seem to think my complaints are a joke. Can you guys all tell me how long it took for your bleeding to stop??? And did everyone on here pass the scab and see it?? My blood is thatreally bright red that you all are talking about but it just wont stop!!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

O and I am also bloated...very weird since this is not a period.

Thank you for you information. I may have a leep procedure coming up, and your experiences and words helped me. Just one question, when you were continuously bleeding, did you also have pelvic pain along side it?

Not sure if I replied, but I was bleeding for a little over a month. It was heavy bleeding, then not, then brown and then bright red again. The Dr said it was Ok and healing well actually. The stiches are still in at that time and she said I may bleed a little more when the stiches disintegrate. Luckily I stopped bleeding now and am taking it easy, as can be expected. I plan on jogging soon and incorporating exersize little by little to see what I can handle... dont' want to start it all over again. But it gets better. I was so worried too..... and felt horrible... bleeding for so so long. Hope it stops for you too soon.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NCCC

Help the National Cervical Cancer Coalition reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Discussion topics

Community leaders