bleeding after cone biopsy

It is 4 weeks since my cone biopsy (results normal)
and I am still bleeding. I got my period two days after
the procedure, and then again 18 days later. The
bleeding decreased to some spotting for several days
and now I am bleeding again. At two weeks my doctor said I was healing nicely and cauterized the area; I am getting extremely stressed as I did not
anticipate this lengthy bleeding. Anyone else experience this?

38 replies. Join the discussion

I also had bleeding for 4 weeks following my cold knife cone.

peggyrose, please keep on top of this with your doctor, I had the cone proceduce in March /07, I had my follow up where I was told that I was healing nicely but because I had cin3 I had a large portion removed and I was one of the unfurtunate ones (I think) that never did heal al the way. I would bleed whenever that area was touched, like an open sore, after intercourse- etc. The doctor said rarely does this happen and it will take years to correct itself- if my husband and I are careful to not go so deep or hit that area- sorry if that's tmi- but it can happen so make sure you tell him if you start bleeding after sex or at random times- not around your period . Angela

Thanks, Angela. Just returned from my gyno who
after examining me discovered that I had ruptured a stitch and he believed that was the cause of the
reoccurrence of bleeding. He cauterized it, again,
and hopefully this will do the trick. I appreciate your
comments, however, as the gyno did tell me that this
area does tend to take a long time to heal and to expect spotting or light bleeding for a while. Am still
waiting to get the green light for sex!

I just wanted to join in here and let you know your story sounds amazingly JUST like mine. Got my period right after the cone, bled non-stop for weeks, got cauterized, started to spot and then got my period again. I went back to spotting after my period and I seem to spot one day on and one day off - MAYBE it is finally almost over?!!? You mentioned sex...what's that? Been so long and now with everything I read about possibly bleeding after sex not sure if I even want to try - my poor boyfriend - we've been together 10 yrs but still it really has been a looooooong time for anyone to have to wait!

Thanks so much for replying to my post.
It is reassuring to hear about your experience being
so similar to mine. It's now five weeks, and I have
had my period twice already, and am still spotting.
Just when I think I am done, it returns. It is frustrating,
but I was truly beginning to worry that my experience
was unusual and it is comforting to hear that I am
not alone. I'll try to be patient; how long has it been
since you had your cone? What were your results?

I had my cone done in March, right after he took me off the deop shot and started me on Seasonale. I have spotted off and on since, sometimes it looks like new blood and sometimes old looking. The doc said everything looks fine and I am also healing the way I should. Not sure if it just takes a while and with the horemone changed fromt eh shot to pill?

amw327 -

It's funny, because my doctor also said the lack of healing and bleeding was rare, although I too had/have this problem and it has been 9 years. It seems that what the doctors deem rare, isn't so rare, as other women have told me the same thing. Maybe it has to do with having so much removed during the LEEP. My cervix is essentially gone (I also had a top hat with my LEEP).

Although I have healed, my cervix is very sensitive from having the LEEP and bleeds with sex and when I have Pap tests or any other gyno tests. It is not fun, but does ease up. Now I just spot.

Peggyrose -

Because the area is essentially a giant sore, it is prone to routine bleeding and can take a long time to heal. If you start experience a large amount of blood flow, clots or a steady trickle, contact your doctor and have the recheck the area. You don't want to break the sore open or cause hemoraging.

Also, bleeding can be an indicator that you still need more time to heal and are doing too much. You might also want to avoid sex, heavy lifting and exercise until the bleeding subsides. Take it easy, relax and put your feet up until it stops (like that is always possible, right).

PJ

i just had a cone biopsy done yesterday. i arrived home at about noon, and bled like CRAZY for the rest of the night. once it reached 11pm I went to the ER. a doctor tried to cauterized after giving a pelvic (worst exam EVER when you are bleeding) but that did not work. an on call ob-gyn took me into surgery and re-cauterized everything more thoroughly or whatever. they were going to give me a transfusion, so i think its important if you are bleeding a lot or often to go to the doctor. this morning, i was STILL bleeding, so the doctor packed the area with gauze. holy crap. the idea that these problems could continue is super terrifying.

I had a cold knife cone biopsy on Dec 5...which I bled for 3 weeks after. I just had another one on Wed (Jan 21) and the oncologist put some gauze up there which will be dissolved into the system and I have had no bleeding. It stops the bleeding somehow. She took a really big section to and it is amazing. Hardly any pain this time either.

Hi

I had bleeding after mine...I hate blood...and it looks so much more red than regular monthlies so it freaked me out too.

I saw my doc and I was completely fine....she just said that Id know if something was wrong as it would bleed non-stop and to relax.
I think I was trying to do too much as I would just lift the washing basket or a shopping bag then I would feel sick and would be bleeding the next time I visited the toilet.
I really hope your taking it easy xxx

Hi,
I had a cone biopsy done in 1993 in Australia, as this is where i was diagnosed while visiting relatives and I started bleeding alot and i mean alot, my partner drove like a madman across town back to the hospital and i was operated on as an emergency to stop the bleeding and then given a blood transfusion during the night. It was very scary but i have come through a radical hystorectomy and radiotherapy and 15 years later am here to tell the tale!!

I just had a cone biopsy on thursday 2/19 and was wondering how long before I can lift? And what are the seriuos risks of lifting? I have an eight month old daughter who weighs approx. 25 lbs. And as all mothers know, it's hard not to do anything when it comes to the kiddos.

I too had bleeding for much longer than they told me to expect, around 3-4 weeks.

steph00, I was told no lifting for four weeks. On a few occasions I overdid it with bending and lifting, which is most likely the reason I bled for so long. It also slows down healing and poses risks with harming the stitches, etc., so definitely take it easy for a while!

My wife had a cold cone done two weeks ago today. She was sore for several days after but recovered quickly and felt great as of yesterday. Yesterday morning she began to hemorrhage and had extensive bleeding. She was transported to the ER by ambulance where they stopped the bleeding with vaginal packing. She was brought in to the operating room later in the afternoon where they were to do an emergency hysterectomy if they could not stop the bleeding. The doctor stated that on inspection the bleeding had stopped and they did not feel a need for the hysterectomy. They kept her overnight to monitor her but sent her home this AM. As you can imagine this was a very scary and upsetting incident. She had lost a great deal of blood and was extremely close to a transfusion according to hospital staff. Has anyone experienced this? The doctor stated that she can return to work Monday and it makes me very nervous.

PLEASE if anyone has any heavy bleeding call 911 right away without delay and notify your doctor of any bleeding you have after this procedure. I am not trying to give medical advice as I am not a doctor or medical professional but I do not want anyone to delay as a delay could have had serious consequences for my wife. I do not mean to upset anyone but I wanted to share our story so that others might look out for this and take any bleeding very serious. I wish you all the best.

Hi all - I had a cone biopsy 1 week ago, 3/9. I wasn't bleeding much at first, but as of Saturday it has gotten heavier. It has also turned from a brownish spotting to bright red. It is not extremely heavy, but i did have to switch from panty liners to a regular pad as of last night. I noticed many of you said that you got your periods early and more frequent. I was thinking it might be my period, but I shouldn't get it for another 2 weeks and I am on the pill so I am always like clock work. Were any of you on the pill when you got your period early? I go in this Thursday for my follow up and was going to call the doctor tomorrow because I was concerned, but found this discussion and thought I would ask you all that have actually been through the procedure. I had a LEEP 12 years ago and don't remember how long I bled for.

Also, it was helpful to hear some of you say that you can't lift anything for 3-4 weeks. My doctor told me not to lift anything heavy, but didn't say for how long. I just assumed it was about a week. Thank you in advance for any information you may have!

I had a cone biopsy on 3/6 and am still bleeding. Its bright red (as many of you have said) and is not a period. I have an 8 month old daughter and my husband is away from home a lot, so I have no choice but to pick her up. I wonder if this is prolonging the bleeding. The doctor said it might take up to six weeks to heal, but nothing about bleeding this long. I feel awful for my husband. Sex --- what's that?

It's been 4weeks+2 days since I had a cone biopsy and dnc, I've pretty much been bleeding since the surgery (03/11), not too heavy though it still freaks me out. Well last week I started bleeding a lot more, went to the dr and he said that the site looked good and it was probably my period, well I've been spotting still since then! When will this stop?? I read online too that if you have a dnc it can also screw up your period. The dr's dont' give you enough information when you get it done. He said I was clear to work out, but it's still pretty scary knowing that you're bleeding..augh

How long will the bleeding go on and when will I be "Normal" again? My doctor doesn't tell me how long this will last. When can I start exercising heavy again, lift things over 25 pounds, have sex, and stop on/off bleeding fresh blood? Does anyone know? I hear from the posts it is 3-4 months...so does that mean this or longer? My doctor also said she will see me in 3-4 months after my leep. Is that normal...a month is a large span to me! When should I go back in? I want to find a new gyno that cares and has more definite answers! I had CIN 3 high abnormal displasia. Help me find answers....this has also raised my blood pressure level from the stress!

I had a cone biospy on 5/1. I rested two days after the procedure and went back to work the following day. Being a dog groomer, my job is extremely active and I bled pretty heavily the first week but by the weekend it had almost completely stopped. On Monday 5/11 I went to work feeling great.......hardly any bleeding. At about 9:00 A.M I started feeling kind of strange and all of a sudden the blood was gushing. I phoned my doctor and he had me go into to the office where he packed me with gauze and told me to go home and rest. The next morning out came the gauze and another gusher right behind it. I called off work and went back to bed. I have been resting now for three solid days and the bleeding has really slacked off, but I'm a little nervous about going back to work tomorrow.

My whole point is that rest is essential after this procedere. Do not push yourself to resume your regular activties too soon.

Also I am post menopausal so I know that the bleeding has nothing to so with my period!

I am so relieved to hear that I am not alone in feeling that you never seem to get any straight answers from the med team!

I am still bleeding and am experiencing light headiness. I know i am worrying about my cone results as I have cin lll but my blood pressure is fine so can't even out it down to that! I have tired spells too. Has anyone else experienced any of these symtoms.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NCCC

Help the National Cervical Cancer Coalition reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Discussion topics

Community leaders