Abnormal Pap Smear

In 2009 during a very stressful year, ( 2 months before my daughter's wedding), I had a pap smear come back as LGSIL, the HPV was NEGATIVE. They did a colposcopy and it came back as C1N1 so they did nothing. They found yeast and a bacterial infection which they treated with two very strong antibiotics. Four months later I went back for another pap smear and it came back ASC-US. They told me to come back in a year.

2010 brought another stressful year. My yearly pap smear had gone back to LGSIL again. HPV was NEGATIVE. The doctor noticed yeast again. This time I did not take the strong antibiotics but instead treated it with natural means. A colposcopy was prescribed.

I decided to try and build up my immune system try to rid my body of yeast and re-pap in 3 months.

I started an anti-fungal diet with natural anti-fungal supplements plus immune building supplements.

I returned in 3 months for my pap. The yeast is now gone but the pap remains LGSIL, HPV is NEGATIVE. The stress has not lessened AT all. I am convinced that the change in my pap from LGSIL to ASC-US back to LGSIL is due to the enormous amount of stress that my body has to combat with.

The doctor is prescribing a colposcopy again. I've been reading up here and other places and I don't understand the necessity of a colposcopy for LGSIL with a HPV NEGATIVE. Everything I read says that most of the time these lesions clear up by themselves in 18-24 months.

The costly procedure will be out of pocket as I have a high deductible. I would love to know what options I have but cannot get any information from my doctor without setting up another $75 appointment.

I apologize for the length of this post but I wanted to give you some history.

Would love to know other stories...or help. I prefer to treat my body's symptoms naturally to support it as much as possible.

Jewelz57

7 replies. Join the discussion

That's really odd how you test negative for HPV yet you have LGSIL. My guess is that you have some HPV type that is not captured by the Digene HPV test. Perhaps it is a low risk strain causing it. If it is a low risk strain it would very unlikely progress past CIN I.

Antiviral,
Thank you for your response. In the 3 pap tests that I have had with LGSIL the HPV has always tested negative.
Nothing showed up in the colposcopy I had last year either. I did test positive for a bacterial infection and yeast last year, though.

Everytime they call me they say "HPV is negative which is good.

The doctor has given me 2 alternatives. 1) the doctor recommends colposcopy or 2) if I do not want to do that she strongly recommends that I have another pap in Feb.

It is left in my hands to decide what is best for me.

Thank you for your imput. I appreciate it very much.
Jewelz

Sometimes despite a negative HPV test but a persistent LGSIL result then a colposcopy should be performed to see if there is an area of that is being missed during the pap that may have a higher degree of possibly dysplasia. (possibly higher in the endocervical canal which is often missed during a pap)
Since the pap is only a screening tool, a LGSIL result could be due to any number of factors, not necessarily dysplasia. While CIN dysplasia is always caused by HPV, CIN1 will often regress on it's own. If you do have dysplasia, then it would have been caused by HPV and the reason for the negative result could be due to a viral load that is too low to be detected, the strain(s) causing the abnormality may not be one that is detected through the Digiene (as mentioned above) or it's possible that the virus was active and has since cleared/dormant.
best wishes

Thank you "simplynat" for your response. I've read alot about it all and I keep seeing that 50-90% of LGSIL clears up on it's own in 18-24 months. I'm trying to discern whether to "watch" it and be re-papped or get the colposcopy.

To tell you the truth I've not gotten much explanation about all this.. Everything I've learned has been online reading.

If the hpv is negative what is the danger of LGSIL?

LGSIL, itself isn't dangerous. The issue is if there is a level of dysplasia that is progressed beyond your previous CIN1 that isn't being detected through your pap. It may be possible more severe dysplasia higher in your endocervical canal that isn't being detected - of course, I have no idea if this is your situation but it may be a possibility. I don't know what sort of costs you would incur for a colposcopy (I am in Canada) but if all other tests are clear (no infection, inflammation, etc.) and this result persists, you may want to consider having one performed anyway. It may turn out to be nothing but it might be good to play it safe.
Have you had any 'normal' paps since the LGSIL you first received in 2009?

Someone else already mentioned this above but did you have an ECC (endocervical curettage) done? If that also came back negative for any abnormalities then that's great. Personally, I'd get the colposcopy done one more time before I do the wait and watch method.

Thank you all for your help.

The cost of the procedure would be around $800-$1,000 out of pocket. That's with my insurance giving discounts.
I have a very high deductible so all of the costs would be paid out of pocket.

I had a colposcopy last year in August. They took several biopsy samples. I don't know what an ECC is. All of the biopsies came back at a level that they were not concerned about. Nothing further was done. I was guessing that it was C1N1 since nothing was done.

After that procedure I had another pap 3 1/2 months afterwards that had gone down to ASC-US level. Then in July it was back up to LGSIL.

I find it hard to believe that this is not stress related as it has not stayed LGSIL the whole time AND this year has been over the top with stress.

My doctor has given me the option to wait another 3 months and re-pap when I asked what options I had.

I appreciate your information!
Julie

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NCCC

Help the National Cervical Cancer Coalition reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Discussion topics

Community leaders