Camping/Outdoor Pursuits with Self Cathing?

I work in extreme outdoor conditions and have recently begun self cathing multiple times a day. I'm having a difficult time imaging being out in below freezing temps for weeks at a time without running water, showers or facilities and figuring out how to successfully manage my bladder.

Is there anyone out there who is an avid winter camper/works in similar conditions that can give any tips.

Thanks for your help.

9 replies. Join the discussion

Hi mlt,

I do have an alternate suggestion; have you thought about wearing a Foley indwelling catheter for the duration of the trip with a plug installed in the tip? You could be out for extended periods that way and simply unplug the catheter when you needed to void. Self-cathing in an environment would be difficult at best, impossible and unhygenic at worst. You can wear indwelling foleys for up to a month (two weeks is what I call tops) and if you get a good silicone catheter (I recommend the StrataSI catheters since they are softer at http://www.allegromedical.com/catheters-c539/strata-si-foley-catheters-5cc- p561612.html) with a bard plug, you'd be good to go.

Hope this helps,
Colin

Hi MLT,

You could also get you some touchless catheter kits. You can cath anytime and not worry the cleanliness of your hands. I use them when I get in tight spots like when I am in my van.

Good luck.

What are touchless catheters????

Steve

They are sterile catheters in a sterile urinary bag. You can cath and never touch the catheter with your bare hands. It has the catheter and lubricant in a closed kit. You can view some here: http://www.allegromedical.com/catheters-c539/touchless-intermittent-cathete r-kit-male-p193064.html

Hi, i have not gone for weeks on in nature and i imagine that yes it would be a bit complicated ad risky. However i highly recommend coloplast products...they are by far the best products out there and i use a prelubed no touch catheter when i am on the run. I would recommend yiu have disposable gloves with you to improve sterility...

Here is the product
http://www.us.coloplast.com/products/continencecare/product.aspx?commcatego ry=EasiCath(Coloplast)&categoryId=220(Coloplast)&productid=25215(Coloplast)

I tried everything and the prelubed (liquid lube so not a gel that can block the urethra etc...) coloplast products are the best. My insurance cvers them...

Good luck!
M

Thanks all for your help- very much appreciated. Has anyone had issues with Foley bags freezing in sub 32 degree temps? I know it's a random question but these are the specifics I'm facing.

If the bag is left outside or away from your body, there's a problem since the freezing point of urine is in the range of 28F - 31F. So, unless you have a belly bag or something near your body (or somewhere else warm), freezing will be an issue, even with warm urine flowing into the bag (since the urine will be trickling down the tubing to the bag and losing heat as it travels). In a situation like that, depending on the temperature, the urine in the bag will freeze, or you will have an ice jam in the line. The latter is a worse problem since once that happens you will back up into your bladder and infection becomes an issue.

Hope this helps,
Colin

Have you tried condom catheters? They are completely non invasive and from what I've seen in my clinical experiences, seem to work alright. I just worry about keeping a sterile field in the outdoors and the occurrence of a UTI...however, I'm sure if you practiced the steps you would take to keep sterile field prior to and during catheterization.

If you do use a foley, Colin is right. A great way to prevent freezing is to secure your cath bag inside one of your upper thighs.

Really hope this helps you, I'm a huge outdoor/camping enthusiast too, but have trouble going on day hikes or overnights because of my own personal incontinence issues.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the suggestions. Ver
Much appreciated. I'm a woman do I don't believe a condom cath is an option. Thanks again everyone. Great
Suggestions!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support NAFC

Help the National Association For Continence reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the National Association For Continence

Discussion topics

Bladder Health Information

NAFC Resources

Community leaders