The next step - dealing with Hubby's Hoarding (Collector)

Now that my parents have moved out East (my sister is now caring for them) I finally have time to deal more effectively with my life. To that end, I obtained a part time job in my field of interest (Mental Health) that starts mid-month. I also am keeping my current part-time job as well.

However, home is another matter. To be honest, I spent months away by helping my parents in another City. You see, my husband is, in my opinion, a "way out of control -- hoarder" -- collector -- not trash.

The stuff has invaded virtually all of our living space after completely filling a large storage building. It is difficult if not almost impossible to cook, as only the cutting board is occasionally available to set anything on, including cooking space for a fry pan, etc. and the whole thing is really getting to me.

He keeps busy with low-paying jobs and doesn't have the time to clean it up - and certainly is reluctant to part with the stuff - loves thrift stores - and suffers intense physical back pain, which is only getting worse because of the heavy nature of many of the things he collects.

I THINK I have finally found a possible counselor who understands hoarding - I have to go at it carefully because my husband thinks I have the problems (not hoarding, but others -- I'm in recovery from Bipolar) -- not him.

I'd be interested in your thoughts -- have others gone through situations with husbands or other family members who are hoarders? What works, what doesn't. How does one help them come to the conclusion that there IS a problem that needs to be addressed?

I am not a great one for cleaning this up myself, as I am not the most organized, plus not much time with 2 jobs, but do want to either be supportive and help where I can while he cleans it up, or if he doesn't choose to, for this and many other reasons, I may need to make some major changes in my living situation.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

TerryAnn

Things you can do

Support Mental Health America

Help Mental Health America reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  Mental Health America

Discussion topics

Resources from Mental Health America

Mental Health America 2013 Annual Conference on Wellness

Receive e-mail news from MHA

Community leaders