Almost 1 year.

My mother-in-law passed away on 2/11/2012. The whole family made it through the holidays, but I believe the first anniversary of her passing has hit the hardest. I find sadness and solice in the pictures with sayings that other family members post. Still, still try to pick up the phone to call her. She would have been my biggest comforter while going through my husbands cancer. I remember it took me three years to be able to stop crying about things that remind me of my dad, passed 2002. So far I can say it's been harder to lose my mother-in-law than it was with my dad.

My biggest helper now is getting back to being closer with God. My daughter bought me for X-mas "Don't Sweat The Small Stuff. " I plan to read "The Stranger on the Road to Emmaus." by the end of this month. I've had the book since 2001, received as a gift. With all that has gone on last year, I know it's the book I need to read to start off this year on a better note.

My goal next month is to allow my hubby & his siblings to be out of sorts and I will be there for them & my two children as I lost a parent before them, my dad 2002. I know from past when I would fall apart & cry, cry for my dad, my hubby was there for me & the hugs meant sooooo much to me. I am delighted to be on the opposite side & see how it's helped him. Sometimes we end up crying together, but I prefer to let him do it the most as he is also dealing with cancer since 1/2012.

He is now CANCER FREE. His type rarely comes back. I've tried to keep his mind on his recovery & I am the rock for my children. I've been able to 'counsel' my family (3 & me) using my plethera of coping skills, I've learned over the past 20 years. Also as anyone with mental illness know, I am helping myself cope with all the changes that started in Jan 2012.

My medical issues & illnesses have been doing well through all this, including my biggest 3 - Bipolar 2, Asthma, Psoriasis.

Hope things are going well for all.

Things you can do

Support Mental Health America

Help Mental Health America reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  Mental Health America

Discussion topics

Resources from Mental Health America

Mental Health America 2013 Annual Conference on Wellness

Receive e-mail news from MHA

Community leaders