Volunteered Over Weekend With Poor Results

Last Saturday and Sunday, I manned a table for three hours selling raffle tickets. In the past, I excelled at fundraising. This is the first time I failed at it, and miserably! On Saturday, I sold ONE two dollar raffle ticket and signed up one volunteer. On Sunday, I sold ONE two dollar raffle ticket and signed up one student (the organization teaches reading and writing English to immigrants and Americans). Exploring getting out of volunteer work altogether and going into art. This summer, thinking about going on a trip out of town for my mind to clear, because since I moved here on August 1, 2012, seems like I can't do anything right! Has anyone moved into a town only to discover it is such a poor fit that they can't do anything right? Praying to God for something to open up for me. Would love to move back to NYC, but can't, due to living on very limited income.

6 replies. Join the discussion

Ma'am you didn't fail at anything you can't make people by anything!!! you excelled if you ask me you vulonteered to help that is a great thing. how may other people vulonteered ,that is always a great thing just giving your time to help other says alot about you ma'am don't give up. if you wasn't there,they might not have had anyone there. ma'am you just moved there give it time it may turn out to be the greats thing i think your on the right track getting involved with the cummunity don't be so hard on yourself ma'am good things will happen for you. slow down and enjoy the day ma'am walk outside and enjoy the fresh air people will come around it takes time

Dear Gregoryshane,
Today I spoke with the Director of the nonprofit and she told me EVERYONE failed, including herself, in this endeavor! I suggested to her and the man in charge of fundraising, another organization I am involved in, had a very good experience (but it is a lot of work!) in sponsoring a Scrabble Tournament (I also suggested a Monopoly Tournament could work, too). The other organization made a profit of thousands, and doubled their profits every year in the four years they have been sponsoring it. They were sold out every year! Thinking of exploring my artistic talents and giving through that as I do not have the stamina anymore to work traditional volunteer jobs. Thank you for your encouragement!
Monica

Monica,

You did your best, that's all one can do! THAT DIRECTOR TROUBLES ME.
Greg made a lot of excellent points.

Take care,

Sherry

Monica,

You did your best, that's all one can do! THAT DIRECTOR TROUBLES ME.
Greg made a lot of excellent points.

Take care,

Sherry

Dear Sherry,
Thank you for validating me. I get a bad vibe on the director of the organization. Actually, I have a bad vibe on the whole town, even the whole county! Trying to figure out where I go from here . . .

Sorry for all the troubles...sending warm thoughts and prayers your able to get out of the situation ...

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support Mental Health America

Help Mental Health America reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  Mental Health America

Discussion topics

Resources from Mental Health America

Mental Health America 2013 Annual Conference on Wellness

Receive e-mail news from MHA

Community leaders