Suicidal Ideation

When someone wants to die, and they plan on dying by their own hands, what can someone do to bring them down? Is there anything someone can do to help decrease the severity and intensity of the feelings they feel?
How do you help a child that lives in the home with a parent that wants to kill themselves? How do you comfort the childs fears? What happens when the child is an adolescent, how do you help them?

People that are suicidal need things, but what is it that they need? Each person is different. Hypothetically speaking, this suicidal person has lost their mother or father to a savage murder. Do you expect the person to just overcome their situation, or do we have compassion for the way they have learned to handle it or cope with it?

What if they don't believe in GOD? How do you try to reach a lost soul? How do you bring an non-believer to the fold without running them away? Having a relationship with GOD is not a religion, but many view it as such.

I have so many questions and Im searching for the answers, the sad part is that while they have these programs in place for some mental health issues, there is no emergency/non-emergency number someone can call that would help them through there difficult situations. I hope that someone has some interesting information to share.

8 replies. Join the discussion

well if you think that they are gonna try something you should speak up and get them help, even if it makes them mad. and about their soul, you have to pray for them. not just once but everyday as much as your heart sets you on it. god will give them a chance and a lesson in life to choose. its up to them to accept it or not and pray that they do.

good luck

kelly

How about this: Suicide Hotline phone number not listed. Put on hold several times. Thought this was THE place to go. Finally asked him if I was supposed to take some action first and then try to call them followed by a hangup. Please do not mention any suggestions as I have plenty of my own. In fact, no messages at all.

DesertDweller,

What kind of mess is that? So they have a suicide hotline with an unpublished number? Where are you? I hope you have found an outlet to help with your torment. It sounds very dark in your life and it also sounds like you need someone. Not just someone to talk to, but someone to show you that they love you and that you ARE worthy. Please continue to reach out for help. If you would like to start a discussion with me, feel free to do so. Im in the process of trying to help a friend of mine which is why I joined the site. I was looking for people like you to help me understand what your going through. More specifically ... what kinds of things do you think about and what triggers you to want to hurt yourself? Your still alive, thank God, so what coping mechanisms do you use? Sorry for 21 questions, I'm a nurse, its a hard habit to break.
God Bless, Please write back.

Kellysmind,
Thank you for the nice words you said. I do pray, not everyday, but when she is facing some difficult decisions she wigs out and there is no talking her down. It took a complete stranger this time to help her snap out of it. All they did was distract her from her thoughts, but it worked. I always thought that when someone calls distressed I should try to talk them through, but it sounds like avoiding the dreaded talk would help her more. Are you suicidal? Do you know anyone who is like this? How do you handle it when it is a here and now? She has scared up her arms from repeated attempts, and Im never sure when she will or wont. It angers me when people say, if she wanted to kill herself she would've done it by now. The scars say she is going to complete this one day and I just pray she doesn't have to do that!

well apparently there is nothing you can do about it and anyway why wait wait for one to commit suicide before you can think of doing somethin to help them .i have been there sereval times and one thing i know there is nothing you can do or say to change ones mind coz just then its seems the best thing to do and since u wont always get the chance of knowing what they will do and when there are high chances u will never stop them.never if they are luccky unlike me u will never find out coz no one is gona hung themselves inthe city square.

people can change their minds about killing or harming theirself. I did. you can reach out to somebody. until they hit rock bottom tho, they probably wont listen, but when they are ready to listen you will know they know they can come to you to help them help themselfs. I would come around here and there, just to let that person know that you are there to help, keep praying and not torture yourself by watching them torture theirselfs and live your life.

kelly

it is sad sometimes to just watch people torture themselves. it brings us down and things in life are sad. you reach out to help them and they wont take it or at a place in their mind they can't. you cant force someone to think right. you cant force someone to be better. sometimes you have to cut people off in your life so you can help others or yourself. sometimes you can do a intervention which is simply get help .. I am not bringing down my life anymore because of you and you have to move on. You do what you can, but when you have done all you can do .. move on.

kelly

You bring up some interesting questions. 5 years ago I lost my wife of 30+ years. She had suffered from depression for 15 of those years. I think that if one can get some one on one intensive professional therapy maybe even at a in-patient facility, it might help. The person has to overcome their hopeless feelings, and sometimes even a spouse, children, or good friends have a hard time getting the person to realize that, even if they realize just how devastating their actions will be to their survivors. Kellysmind is right do all you can and what you can but in the end you have to "move on". Personally even after 5 years, new wife and life, it is an on going thing to completely move on, to think that there is a life that you tried to save but couldn't. Perhaps one never completely moves on and has no regrets. Much luck & God speed.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support Mental Health America

Help Mental Health America reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  Mental Health America

Discussion topics

Resources from Mental Health America

Mental Health America 2013 Annual Conference on Wellness

Receive e-mail news from MHA

Community leaders