mood disorder

Hi I'm new here, I have a 16 yr. old daughter who when was younger was diagnosed and treated for ADHD, although it did help her academically she still had lots of problems with keeping friends as she can't understand personal space, lying, stealing etc. Getting older symptoms got worse and upping meds didn't help. She then in high school was told she doesn't have ADHD she was suffering post traumatic stress taken straight off Ritalin and sent to see a physiatrist who is diagnosing her with mood dis regulation. At first she was put on a antidepressant which sent her off the rail doing stupid things (high mood) she then had to take quetiapine to level her out. To us she keeps getting worse at the moment about every two weeks she has an episode and will run away, I don't know where she is, she not taking the quetiapine (she was taken off the antidepressant as wasn't really depressed anymore) , very rude and disrespectful to me and stealing money from family members. I am at my wits end with coping with my health problems plus 3 other kids I'm exhausted. I really believe it is bipolar, her biological father has it, looking back she is reminding me of all the bad stuff that he did, it's exactly the same. Please does anybody have any ideas or agree that it is more than just mood disregulation disorder.

4 replies. Join the discussion

I just had to look mood dysregulation disorder up, to figure out what that diagnosis is all about. I'm not a clinical psychologist, so take this for what it's worth, but it sounds to me like you may be right and that she could be bipolar, or it could be something completely different. WIth the family history, I understand why you are concerned. If she isn't taking her meds (which isn't that uncommon for people with bipolar when they are in a manic phase from what i understand) it's going to be difficult to get her to do anything, including going back on her meds. Is it possible for you to take her to a different psychologist/psychiatrist for evaluation? She may not meet all the diagnostic criteria for bipolar, but that doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't something like that going on with her.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help to you, but I am very sorry you are going through this with her. You sound like you are trying to do your best for her, but just don't know what that is. I am wishing you and your family better times, i hope your daughter comes home and that she is able to be helped. Hang in there.

Thanks for replying, I may look into getting a second opinion. You are right about getting her to do anything, she mostly is in her own little world, when she is in an episode I can't get her to go to school, physc appointments and if I push hard she explodes with yelling, saying hurtful things and then plays the pitty card that I don't care about her blah blah. She is getting worse and just putting herself in danger more and more. Thanks anyway

Certainly sounds like bipolar to me. Can you ask the dr. To consider bipolar as a diagnosis?
Have you already asked? If you did not like the answer or want to get another opinion, I certainly would do so. Especially
Given that meds affect different mental disorders in some not so good ways

Don't give up!
Best wishes karen

I am Bipolar 2. What that means instead of a full blown outburst or mania, I have hypomania. That means my manic episodes are not as bad as Bipolar 1. Please try to check around. I was first diagnosed as clinical depression. It took me 6 years to get my correct diagnosis of Bipolar 2. What changed for me is I asked my Pdoc to try Cymbalta for my Diabetes. Well, it started well but put me into a 'full blown' manic episode, but it allowed me to be correctly diagnosed. I work hard to check this site daily and would be glad to correspond if you have any other questions or concerns. I'm 53 and have been in counseling/on medicaltion for 25 yrs.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support Mental Health America

Help Mental Health America reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  Mental Health America

Discussion topics

Resources from Mental Health America

Mental Health America 2013 Annual Conference on Wellness

Receive e-mail news from MHA

Community leaders