husband just diagnosed with bipolar but just on the cusp, anyone familiar?

My husband was just diagnosed with borderline bipolar, meaning on the cusp of bipolar. I have been reading up on this and it does not seem to make sense. Either one has bipolar or one does not, you cant really be on the cusp.

Has anyone had a loved one or themselves diagnosed as such? My husband also has Complexed PTSD and was thought to have depression but he had major episodes of anger and rage.

Please advise or share what you know about this.

Thank you.

8 replies. Join the discussion

The only thing I can really suggest is getting him a second opinion. I have never heard of "the cusp of bipolar". I suppose he is showing some symptoms of bipolar, yet maybe they don't want to label him. I do know that anger and rage can also be visible in people with severe depression.

Yes, he has major depression. I guess I will have to wait and see what the psychiatrist says when I go to meet with him.

I have been diagnosed with sever depression about 5 years ago. My medications and my bi-weekly therapy have really kept me on track. However, my psychiatrist recently told me that she believes I am cyclothymic - a mild form of bi-polar, or as she describes it, on the "cusp". I have tendancies of ups and downs but they are pretty mild. Yet after 5 years together, my psychiatrist has shown me that there is a definite pattern. We decided together that with these symptoms I am bi-polar. We are not changing my medication because I don't think I need to and she agrees with me. Yes, sometimes I have more difficulty, but with support from my therapy and my family, I have been very stable. The term bi-polar is recorded so if there is a point that I feel I need a more medicated support, I will be able to get a quicker response in how to change my meds.

Look up cyclothymic disorder, it should shed a little light on your husband's diagnosis.

Sometimes they don't have quite enough information for a definite diagnoses of bipolar and there is a need to watch the patient over time and track the moods over time before making the diagnoses. The advice from garcia regarding cyclothymic disorder is a good lead. Also, check out bipolar II. I know that it is very frustrating. I once read something that helped me. "It is more important to treat the person than to treat the disease.". Every case is unique! Good luck to you both.

My wife was diagnosed with depression in '94, after some physical stomach & female problems were unresolved. She had good times and bad, a couple of suicide attempts and had several psychiatrist. In 2005 she was diagnosed as Bipolar and was told her symptoms weren't as evident before, so possibly she also was a "cycler". It takes a herculean effort to find the right combination of medications to resolve the bipolar condition, and my hat goes off to the psychiatrist who makes the effort, so trust in him/her. Sadly for my wife, in 2007 it became too much for her to handle. So stay with it, people care & it will get better,. God Bless.

Both of my sons were diagnosed bipolar. From what I understand there are different types. my older son is more mild has some lows where sadness appears but he gets through it ok and he deals with anxiety mostly social anxiety. where my younger one has rage and anger management issues. One is on medication and goes to a psychiatrist. The other was on meds and in the last year has gone off and had steady counseling every week which seems to work well for him. I do believe that each person can be different for how they respond to this illness. I would look for some support for yourself whether a face to face support group on the topic anything that will give you the strength and support to manage your own feelings coping with his ups and downs prayers and good thoughts sent your way.

Cusp of bipolar? Sounds like the doc is hesitant to make the diagnosis, but wants the freedom of the treatments that open up with the label.
I'm a husband, a father, a bipolar for over 2 decades. Those who wrote about treating the person are right on.
Here's a web md link that will clear up the bipolar spectrum for you.
http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/bipolar-spectrum-categories?page=2
Hope it helps.

The doctor, I believe, did NOT want to give meds for bipolar if he did not have to. In the end, the psychiatrist sat with me and my husband for a session and decided to first try new meds, anti depressants and to up the dosage and go from there.
When the doc said the cusp of bipolar, he meant that my husband gets the lows pretty badly, but the highs dont get so intense so there are two different kinds of bipolar and my husband does not have the first kind for sure but he was not 100% sure if he had the second kind. So, in my opinion, the doctor is going the correct route. He is trying other meds first before bipolar meds.
We will see what happens.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support Mental Health America

Help Mental Health America reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  Mental Health America

Discussion topics

Resources from Mental Health America

Mental Health America 2013 Annual Conference on Wellness

Receive e-mail news from MHA

Community leaders