Help with anxiety

I think that I have some sort of anxiety problem. I go to see my doctor on Thursday and want to ensure that I get something done. The reason I say this usually I don't seem to get any relief going to the doctor. This a new physician and I want to ensure that my issues are even anxiety based. Here are my issues I am having. I feel very nervous and I do not work outside the home. So, when I am home I have become so nervous that I generally stay in one area in the house all day because I am in fear. I have a phobia that someone is going to burst into our home and kill me. And I have the same fear when I go to bed and can't sleep fearing I won't hear something which is causing me serious exhaustion. I check my doors, the spare bedrooms and then , my sons room all through the night to ensure everything is okay.

I have been trying on making a habit of not getting out of bed for the last week in order to try and get more sleep. It has worked some, but I still am listening for any sounds. I feel anxious, nauseous, dizzy, almost as if I have motion sickness. I know that I can't continue this as I am getting so tired and the motion sickness is really bad right now. I don't even know if the nausea and dizziness is connected. I just know that I am always anxious feeling as if something horrible is going to happen at any minute.

Any thoughts or similar experiences and how you got help or what helped would be greatly appreciated.

13 replies. Join the discussion

I also wanted to add that I have a lot of fear when hearing loud noises which make me jump and have a racing heart beat. And I did have an episode where I did fall asleep and the phone rang and scared me so bad that when I jumped out of the bed I fainted. Which scared my husband half to death as well. He thought I was having a seizure.

There is so much going on with you emotionally it's hard to tell if it's psychological or if maybe there is something else going on that is physical. For instance I know hyperthyroid can make you very nervous. Definitely don't take my word for it, I'm just a person with alot of psychological knowledge with no degree in the medical field, personal experience. You have too many things going on at once. One thing I think is going on is obsessive-compulsive disorder. As far as checking things over and over again. Sounds like paranoia with your inability to sleep because of fears of things happening at night. I would suggest you see a good reputable psychiatrist. And if your getting your referral from your general physician I would get a second opinion. How you have been able to wait this long is amazing. Also, to let you know when you make an appointment with a psychiatrist it could be months before you get in to see them because they are usually booked up ( at least in Indiana). So you might want to see if your general physician can give you some medicine to help you sleep at night and something for your anxiety. I would also Google your symptoms. You can learn a lot of things on the internet (as I'm sure you know) as long as you use the right sources. Some cannot be relied on. Make sure you look at the fine print under the websight's hyperlink to see where the article is coming from. If you don't understand this maybe ask a friend who knows a little more about computers than you do. Good Luck and Take Care!

Thanks. I am seeing my gp first. I have been apprehensive about seeing a psychiatrist as I did visit one and he was horrible. He arrived late, over an hour and then he sat and talked about his problems for a full hour. I wasn't sure if this was even normal. But, I know for a fact it didn't help and I never went back. It just made me more anxious. Also, I have had my thyroid checked and had that ruled out twice now, even though I do have thyroid nodules and have taken meds in the past. But, yep tons of issues that need to be addressed.

I agree, there's a lot going on there. I would also say OCD and paranoia and anxiety but perhaps more.... I know you had a bad experience with a psych but I highly suggest finding another one. That's good you're starting with your gp.

Lots of love

Wenz

Thanks. I am hoping for the best.

I agree with Wenz. Try not to let your bad experience cloud your thinking. Keep trying different psychiatrists until u find one u feel comfortable with. Hopefully your GP will have some good referrals. Don't think just because your GP is recommending them u need to stay with them. Unless u have an HMO. I pray u don't have an HMO. Remember even though they know more about your illnesses doesn't mean u have to stick with them. U r the consumer. If u r unhappy with them u have every right to fire them. Don't let their position of authority intimidate u. Good Luck

Thanks. We don't have an hmo so I should be good. You are right I have to continue. That guy was about two years ago and it made me so stressed out that I worried about that for a while as he talked about all the troubles he was having. But, I just can't take this anymore. Been this way for a very long time.

I can't even imagine being in that situation. I had a friend who had the same experience. I personally had an experience where my therapist was telling me I was fine when I was on the verge of homelessness. I was in a state of crisis and she told me I would be fine even though I had no money and nowhere to move to that I could afford. I became so depressed that all I did was sleep and eat and gained 50lbs. I shortly thereafter developed an ulcer and quit therapy. You see I saw her as an authority figure and thought she knew what she was talking about when she didn't. I give authority figures too much power over me and I think they know what is best for me when they don't. I continue with this problem because I don't always become aware of itis what is happening until it's too late. I am slowly getting better at it but I still feel guilty if I don't think they know what their talking about. I'm learning that nobody knows me better than me. And screw what others may think. And with that I'll pass!

Chleo I agree with that. I just give up when I feel stressed out. I say well they can't help so it must be that this isn't such a big issue. But, I feel that it is and family does as well. I just get overwhelmed talking with doctors who shake their head and just tell me to that it's nothing either. I am going to try and do the doctor shopping thing. I usually just go home and look for ways to help myself after bad encounters with doctors. Then it ends up being another few years before deciding to try again. But I have to change this now.

Venedd,

I understand what you're going through. I have some of the same problems. I’m a survivor of long-term childhood sexual abuse by my father and grandmother. I have depression, anxiety, panic disorder, PTSD, and Insomnia. I also had repressed memories and would disassociate.

I apologize if this question is too personal, I am curious if you’ve ever been sexually or physically abused. I'm not trying to diagnose you. It's just my opinion. As I was reading your post, it sounded like to me that you had something traumatic happen to you that has caused you to have PTSD.

Because I have PTSD, events/situations affect me more than the typical person. Unprocessed or repressed memories of a traumatic event can occur without warning. I used to have re-occurring thoughts or memories of the abuse in the form of nightmares, flashbacks, and abreactions. I have a reaction to certain smells. For example, if I smell a cigar, I will dissociate because one of my abusers smoked cigars. When I dissociate, in my mind I am back in the event. It’s like I am looking down and watching myself go thru the event like watching a movie. Dissociation was a way for me to escape what was going on. I’ve had abreactions to certain memories/flashbacks in which not only do I see myself in the event, but I will physically relive that particular incident. Even though it’s years later, it’s like being molested all over again. Every hurt that the little girl felt, was a physical pain that I felt years later as an adult.

During my childhood, a lot of the abuse happened at night so I have a lot of anxiety. To me night/bedtime time equals pain. So there were times that I would stay up all night sitting propped up behind my closed bedroom door so that nobody could come in and I would stay safe.

Now, at 36yrs old, I am hyper aware of my surroundings. I feel the most comfortable and the safest if I am in a room with 1 door and only a few windows that way I can keep an eye on every window/door. If I go to a restaurant, I will sit with my back against the wall so I can see what’s going on around me. I won’t sit with my back to the door. I don’t like it when ppl come up behind me.

I am hypersensitive to noise and am easily startled and jump at the slightest noise. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and my heart is thumping out of my chest. I swear I could get startled by hearing a mouse fart:) LOL. I lie awake in my bed at night, listening for the ‘bump in the night.’ I have a fan that I keep on all night to try to mask any noise. If I hear something, I can’t sleep unless I find out what it was. Thankfully, my boyfriend is ok with being woken up to go check things out.

This is going to sound totally crazy....but when I wake up and I start thinking those bad thoughts and I can feel the anxiety coming on, I sing to myself Christmas songs to keep my mind occupied and calm myself. If I run out of Christmas songs and I’m still awake, I move onto all the church hymns I can remember. As insane as that sounds, it works.

I am on meds for anxiety and depression. I've been in therapy on and off since I was in my early teens. I've done alot of work to get my head in order.

If you would like to talk, I'd love to listen. If you have any questions about anything I've said don't hesitate to ask.

Charlie

Charlie, not too personal. I am really trying to get a feel for what things will be asked or that I should be looking at. I have never been abused as a child but was in an abusive marriage. I was married at 19 and my husband was very abusive. I did have a couple situations at the end of our relationship where he kicked in our house door and assaulted me by trying to strangle me with the phone cord. Broke my hand and threatened to stab me. He actually only left without doing so because the neighbors called the police. I moved out and with my parents. He called constantly basically stalking me.

When I finally got a place for myself, he kicked in that door as well and both incidents were evening and night time. He did not get to assault me the last time as I had called the police when he first showed up yelling at me in my front yard. So I have had my door kicked in twice by him. And one attempt by a stranger after moving again. The last incident in my mind was the very worst for me as I had no idea who this man was but he was kicking at the back door. I guess I knew my ex and his issues, but i had absolutely no idea about the stranger kicking at my door except that he must be some rapist killer or hired by my ex in my mind. The police came and arrested him and he turned out to be the drunk ex renter of the house who forgot he had been evicted.

All my fears are of someone kicking my doors in and killing me. I like you sit in my bed with my husband (2) waiting for the sounds and yes they need to have a source before I can semi relax again. We have only been in this house for a little under a year and I wonder if this isn't what is causing this stress. We lived in a condo with security just prior to moving into the house. I felt it would be extremely hard to kick in the condo door AND getting past the security to do it.

So it could very well be that being in a house where there isn't anyone or thing between the person kicking in my door (in my mind) and me is extremely frightening.

Hi, I would definately look for a new Psychiatrist. No, a Psychaitrist should never tell you about his issues, he should spend all his/her time focused on you. It sounds like you may have PTSD, I have complex PTSD from an abusive childhood where I was sexually molested from the age of 6-19w by my father & emotionally abused by my mother and brother, they were both very critical of me and made me feel that I was worthless and would amount to nothing. My brother also threatened me, telling me he would take a machete and chop my breasts off. I also have ptsd from several life-threatening illnesses. One thing that may help you sleep is melatonin. My psychiatrist told me to take 3mg at 6pm, it helps relaxes you and helps you sleep. It is all natural. Taking a bath with Epsom Salts (check this out with your PCP if you are diabetic) will also help relax you. It contains Magnesium and Magesium is a natural stress reliever. My Psychistrist prescibed Mag-G (magnesium glutamate). It is a high potency dose of magnesium (costs about $20.00-over the counter if your insurance does not cover it), My doctor prescribed 500 mg tablets, I take 2 tablets 3 times per day. Also stay away from caffeine and drink chamomile tea. I also went to GNC and found that taking Calms Forte'-all natural helps to relax you and helps you sleep. During the day, I take Rescue Remedy-(also found at GNC) or on the net, do a google search- take 4 drops under your tongue. Use aromatherapy. Lavender and Vanilla candles will help you to relax, as will Lavender essential oil. Take a cotton ball and put some lavender essential oil on it and bring it to your nose and inahale. Also my psychiatirst taught me biofeedback, diaphragmatic breathing, by Dr. Andrew Weil. First exhale with pursed lips for the count of 8, inhale for the count of 4, hold your breath and exhale with pursed lips for the count of 8. Repeat. Do this 4 times, 4 times is considered 1 session. Repeat until you are calm. But no more than 8 sessions per day. It does work well. Also do a google search and look up colors and mood. I found that purchasing new curtains (blue) helps to relax me. It has a calming effect on the brain. Eat healthy and stay away from caffeine, white bread, sugar and pasta, eat whole wheat pasta, couscous, brown rice and complex carbs. Sweet potatoes help you to calm down. Do a google search and look up food and mood, this will help you. Instead of using sugar, use stevia, also known as True-Vita at your local supermarket. I hope this information helps you. Make sure you see a psychiatrist, there are meds that can help you that your primary care phsycian is not abreast of. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Kay

Thank you. I do have melatonin at home because my son has to take it at night. I have thought about trying it, but have been scared that it will make me sleep so that I am out and won't hear anything. Yes, it is surely a part of my anxiety, fear of not having any consciousness. Really makes me stressed out thinking someone could sneak in or up on me while I sleep. But, I am so tired I am just going to try half a pill and see if it just relaxes me.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support Mental Health America

Help Mental Health America reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  Mental Health America

Discussion topics

Resources from Mental Health America

Mental Health America 2013 Annual Conference on Wellness

Receive e-mail news from MHA

Community leaders