Friendships Vs. Romantic Partners . . .

Realize can't count on my family and roommates (have nothing in common) for friendship. Am "good acquaintance" with a married 25 year old as a guest in her restaurant. Realize that is not going beyond "good acquaintance." Have a best friend in Brooklyn which I keep in touch by telephone (I live 70 miles upstate). Lucky to have wonderful friends at Inspire and www.companiontree.com, but need to make face to face friends. Tomorrow going to call two monasteries to see if I like their Mass better and hope to find people to make friends with. After that, I am going to look at dating websites for relationship-oriented people (willing to relocate). Just would like to know . . . are friends enough or is a romantic relationship necessary for a quality life? Love to hear your life experiences and what your conclusions are. Thank you.
Monica

7 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Monica,
I think it's important to have other significant relationships besides romanatic ones. That is my experience. I do not need the stress of a romantic relationship being the only one I can count on! I'm still encouraging your reaching out for other kinds of relationships. I found this site related to the MHA one we are on now, and it seems to be about support groups in your county.

http://www.mhadc.com/events.html

Let me know is this sounds like something that would help you. Also if you have any particular mental health diagnosis or are just looking for general support here. There are alot of ways to search for these things and they are not always well advertised. Wrk

Dear Wrkradvct,
I don't have a mental health diagnosis, but use this website when I am dealing with psychosocial issues. Have several autoimmune related disorders. Can't drive, so I can't go to the golf tournament. Also, rotten golfer! (LOL!) Just was visiting dating websites and realize I need a romantic relationship along with all these acquaintances. Eventually, hope to have a small circle of friends and a romantic relationship. Thanks for reaching out.
Monica

Ok, Monica. Just so others on here don't find me foolish, I assume you saw that there was a support group for those with depression listed on the left side of that page I sent you. Good luck.
Wrk

Was evaluated for mental illness and they came up with mild PTSD due to my situation (lost housing with only three weeks notice). Looked into support groups MHA offers and this is for people with Bi Polar and severe depression, among other issues. Looked at PROS in Beacon but do not qualify. Falling through the cracks. Don't know if you're familiar with Dutchess County, but very few support groups of ANY KIND, except for a few sponsored by MHA in Beacon and Poughkeepsie, and AA and Al-Anon. Families are encouraged to support their loved ones. Thank God, my two brothers step up to the plate, but they only help with physical stuff, not emotional support.
Monica

I can't seem to resist challenges like this:

http://www.meetup.com/Hudson-Valley-Energy-Healing/events/106632232/

Dear Wrkradvct,
Have found my solution, and because it's private can't discuss it hear. Know you mean well, but am not interested in the Healing Energy. If I change my mind, will consider it in the future. Thank you for reaching out to me.
Monica

Ok thanks for the reply Monica. I don't tend to like groups like that healing energy one, either, but I find alot of people do. I was just trying to show there are things to be found even though they aren't always easy to find. I wish you well with your new solution.

wrk

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support Mental Health America

Help Mental Health America reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  Mental Health America

Discussion topics

Resources from Mental Health America

Mental Health America 2013 Annual Conference on Wellness

Receive e-mail news from MHA

Community leaders