Depression...what I'm feeling

I want to "feel good", I want to "be happy". My depression is not a reflection of my spirituality, it's a reflection of my being. Who really understands this? Only others that truly suffer from this condition, which is why I love this site. I take the meds, I go to therapy, but does it ever end??? Unfortunately, not in this lifetime. I have faith for all things new and I'm sooooo longing for them, but in the mean time, is there something that works besides Zoloft, Remeron, Celexa, Trazadone, Xanax, etc...

4 replies. Join the discussion

I do understand what you mean. And others often suggest going to therapy and taking medication as though that's the simple solution. I'm not opposed to therapy and if I had the funds to do so I would consider it. I used to see a therapist I quite liked. The reality is, taking medication and undergoing therapy isn't going to zap a persyn out of depression. In my opinion I think mind-altering medications should be avoided. I've taken nearly every type of anti-depressant along with some anti-anxiety medications and I feel that they really don't get to the core of the problem. Like I said, I think therapy can be beneficial, but I don't like how people spout off about it as though if I went my problems would be over.
Clearly depression stems from the way we interpret and react to our circumstances. It's not the circumstances in themselves that cause anguish. I know hearing that doesn't make your pain vanish, but it can at least help if you regularly remember that.
I know how frustrating it is to feel like you're doing all that you can to feel okay and that it just doesn't seem to be enough.
I presently feel the same way. So I can relate.
Sorry, none of this is really helpful. I'm just rambling, but basically I get it, and there are other people on here who get it too.
Have you ever tried to meditate? It helps me feel more stable and balanced.

Actually it is helpful, just talking with people that get it and don't expect me to snap out of it. It's hard when you are surrounded by people that look at the outiside as opposed to the inside. My husband sat me down the other day to have "the talk". What can you do differently? Well that's the million dollar question! If I knew that, I wouldn't be here would I. Now I'm venting but that's what this space is for. Thanks for listening...

My son is Schizophrenic and since taking meds and going to therapy the delusions and hallucinations seemed to have stopped. But the meds make him very tired, no energy and now he is depressed. He is trying to find work, which will help fill those long days. He is a drummer, but since he is back living home we are not going to give in to that, because the noise was too much. He thinks his life is at a dead end. Don't know what to do.
He severed all of his longtime friends with his paranoia and has only one who he still keeps in touch with occasionally. Any suggestions?

Pisc...
the drugs for schizophrenia do make people less energetic and even lethargic at times. the best you can do is talk to the drs and try to find the right combo of drugs for him so that he can ultimately have at least some semblance of a "normal" life. My brother is schizophrenic . i know what your dealing with. i hope tbey can find a good balance for your son. God bless.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support Mental Health America

Help Mental Health America reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  Mental Health America

Discussion topics

Resources from Mental Health America

Mental Health America 2013 Annual Conference on Wellness

Receive e-mail news from MHA

Community leaders