ADHD not hungry

My 7 yo grandson has ADHD and is on Concerta and Ritalin. He isn't eating much at all and we are concerned. Any ideas on how to get him to eat?

5 replies. Join the discussion

It is very hard for them to eat on the medicine. Offer what he likes to eat & drink and if there are times when the medicine is out of his system, hopefully the appetite will come back. I don't give my kids the medicine on the weekend, because they don't eat much through the week. It's a hard problem. Hang in there!

Whn does the child take the meds. When mine were on these meds. we would give right at the first part of the meal if it was a morning on and then lunch might be sluggish but some meds. can be switched to bedtime of course not ritalin.

Ma'am this child is 7 months old an has adhd and is on meds for this is this correct?

He is 7 years old. Sometimes he is not given ritalin short-acting in the afternoon so he will eat. This does make homework time not so good and bedtime routine difficult. But at least he eats something.

meds will make you were you want eat or can't think, i take a nevre pill but i split it in half an only take half but it works on my nerves and is just the right amount this is due to the after effect of bi-polar ,it affected my nerves an i'm left with anxietys what i'm saying ma'am is try lessoning his doses

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support Mental Health America

Help Mental Health America reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  Mental Health America

Discussion topics

Resources from Mental Health America

Mental Health America 2013 Annual Conference on Wellness

Receive e-mail news from MHA

Community leaders