A Bell Jar

Has anyone read The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. I highly recommend this book. An insight to a troubled mind, riddled with depression. A mock-memoir of Sylvia's struggle to hold onto life. Also, look up the term Bell Jar.

2 replies. Join the discussion

I've read The Bell Jar. When I began reading it I had no idea that it was based on the experiences of the author, Sylvia Plath. I'm not knowledgable in the field of literature, so "Sylvia Plath" meant nothing to me.
As a former client for depression, I advise any person who is pathologically depressed not to read this book. If one does, the depression will only grow worse. As I approached the end of this book, I found myself sitting and staring into an unknown reality. I felt dead inside, hopeless, wanting to close down.
So be careful readers: if you're feeling depressed, don't read The Bell Jar.

I think interpretation of The Bell Jar should be left up to the reader. Sylvia Plath writes a poignant explanation on how depression feels. She tells a story of the downward spiral of a budding writer seemingly enjoying the spirit of being in New York for the first time. The star of the novel recovers at the end. In the end, Sylvia did not. If you read the novel and had no idea who the author was....would you still declare this an unsuitable read??
You can read all the books you want about depression. The Bell Jar will take your breath away. Every sentence is descriptive yet jaring every step of the way.
Side note:
A bell jar is a piece of laboratory equipment similar in shape to a bell. It can be manufactured out of a variety of materials, ranging from glass to different types of metals. A bell jar is placed on a base which is vented to a hose fitting, which can be connected via a hose to a vacuum pump. By pumping the air out of the bell jar, a vacuum is formed.

Bell jars are generally used for classroom demonstrations or by hobbyists, when only a relatively low-quality vacuum is required. Cutting-edge research that needs an ultra high vacuum requires a more sophisticated form of vacuum chamber. However, several tests may be completed in a chamber with an effective pump and low leak rate.

An example classroom science experiment involving a bell jar is to place a ringing alarm clock under the bell jar. As the air is pumped out of the sealed bell jar, the noise of the alarm clock fades, thus demonstrating that the propagation of sound is mediated by the air. Deprived of its medium, the sound cannot travel

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support Mental Health America

Help Mental Health America reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  Mental Health America

Discussion topics

Resources from Mental Health America

Mental Health America 2013 Annual Conference on Wellness

Receive e-mail news from MHA

Community leaders