13 year old recently diagnosed with bipolar

I have a 13 year old daughter who has recently been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. She also has a diagnosis of ADHD. She's been dealing with ADHD diagnoses since elementary school. I am about to meet with some of her middle school teachers and school staff regarding her IEP and am contemplating whether or not I should discuss with all of them or just one of them her recent bipolar diagnosis. We've been through quite a few behavior issues in the past two years and this is the first time I took the initiative to set up a meeting at the beginning of the school year as a proactive step to working with the school staff in helping my child to succeed this year. As I am trying to come to terms with what this diagnosis means and also dealing with my child's behaviors, can anyone share or give advice on how to approach the school? I am concerned about triggers that cause her to act out (such as other people picking on her or calling her names) and just the kind of help that ADHD/bipolar teens need. Can anyone share their experiences in approaching teachers/schools on their teen's behalf?

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support Mental Health America

Help Mental Health America reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  Mental Health America

Discussion topics

Resources from Mental Health America

Mental Health America 2013 Annual Conference on Wellness

Receive e-mail news from MHA

Community leaders