Zephyrhills water

Just wanted to say: Be aware and reconsider this brand.

I carry a little Mr. Coffee coffeemaker with a glass container with me everywhere so I can have my hot water for my white tea all day. (I never run it thru the filter, just let the water heat up naturally on the burner in the glass carafe.) And usually I carry jugs filled with my own reverse osmosis water. But a few times I have run out of water while away from home and twice now I bought Zephyrhills botted water. YUCK

The water turns a muddy brown while steeping the tea, not the golden yellow the tea should be...and it only happens with Zephyrhills. There must be contaminants in that water (metals, maybe?)

It does not happen with other common brands like Aquafina.

Most bottled water is not much different than drinking your own tap water and I try to steer clear of all of it all frankly, but this nasty looking reaction with steeping tea leaves and Zephyrhills is shocking and disgusting.

Just a heads up.

God bless us all,
Ellen

35 replies. Join the discussion

Lovely to see your smiling face, Ellen.

You raise an excellent issue - water quality.

At one end of the spectrum, you have the head-in-the-sand sceptics and Quackwatchers of the world who would have us drinking stinking, chlorinated, heavy metal-laden tap waters, to those who go to extreme lengths to obtain energised waters and those with various pH levels and mineral contents.

I worked closely with a health researcher in Sydney who spent years working out how best to hydrate chronically dehydrated people.

I cannot tell you the number of miraculous healings I witnessed during my time with Glynn Brady - yet the basis of Glynn's health treatments was simply to rehydrate his patients.

We all carry our water supplies with us, within our bodies. Indeed, some researchers have speculated that ageing is nothing more than dehydration.

Personally, I am not a fan of reverse osmosis water because the natural mineral balance and energy of the water can be disturbed. We often see people running to the toilet often when they drink these "purified" waters.

True healthy waters are energised waters, with a strong natural mineral content.

My own research into water qualities and their health benefits hit a dramatic point one day in the Australian outback.

A group of us city dwellers were doing it tough, carrying our precious plastic waster bottles purchased at the local shop because we feared parasitic disease.

A Queensland local took one look at us and said: "Stop drinking that town water and get that bore water into you - he was right. The difference was extraordinary. It was colder, "wetter" or softer, and clearly better utilised by our bodies in the extreme climate.

It was one of those "uh oh" moments, when the penny drops.

That is not to say we should be drinking waters from the taps in our cities. There are excellent water filters on the market and fine bottled waters.

Just be careful you are not changing the nature of this beautiful natural resource with heavy-handed purification devices.

Oh, by the way, Glynn used to say being in a state of dehydration was like living in a house when the wiring is not connected to the main.

We as humans are housed in a bio-electrical system - the human biological system - and water is crucial to the function of this system.

Yes, water is indeed a hot issue...

It is also a matter of logistics.

When we shower, we consume 75% of our water in this way, versus drinking it.

Therefore, to use water that has been "purified", (i.e., stripped of chlorination, bacteria, etc) is best since showering and bathing does the most damage (or good). It would not be possible to consume "healthy" mineral water any other way unless you have a natural spring in your back yard to dip into. A whole house filter is ideal; a shower head attachment second. A reverse osmosis sink filter in my opinion is an absolute must.

As for natural mineral water, yes I agree, that would be ideal for drinking also. But water systems can be costly, (thus prohibitive for some)...even the "better" bottled water is expensive.

Here is the 2011 water report from EWG.com (environmental working group) for a really good report on bottled waters, grades and brands.

http://www.ewg.org/bottled-water-2011-search

In a nutshell, Nestle Pure Life, Gerber Pure and my favorite, Penta, are the leaders.

As for the post, I just wanted to spread the word on actually spotting the discoloration as "proof" of contaminants in the Zephyrhills issue...

God bless,
Ellen

Hi there Ellen and Art,

Good to see both your smiling faces!
Thanks for the reminders, links and new info.

Stay well,
Love,
Cyn

Hmmm ... personally use Zephyrhills Spring water (they make 3 or 4 different types) and have not had this problem. I also use Glass cookware made in USA or Japan (but never from China). So I'm curious if the problem is found in the drinking or distilled version made by this company?

Tap water in my city tastes terrible and when my daughter from out of town visited recently she drank from the tap - resulted in a terrible 3 day stomach problem. So that is why i budget for purchase of water.

Anyway water is important to hydration, but if it is dead water (like distilled) it is missing many of the things that allow proper hydration to happen, and if it is contaminated, well - a real problem then. To help solve the hydration challenge to those creeping up there in years - I also use chia seed (jell) and sole (or brine water) made from crystal salt.

If i were forced to use tap water, i think i would refrigerate it for 24 hours (to eliminate the chlorine) and possibly use gem stones to replace minerals. If wealthy enough - Fuji would be my choice. Can't help but question the whole bottling in plastic thing.

It was a real eye opener to discover that many bottled waters still contain things like chlorine or floride. I worry that over the next few generations that healthy drinking water will become more scarce.

Hi Ellen,

I was raised drinking Volvic water since birth, I'm from France. I still drink Volvic. I usually can find it at Whole Foods, my alternative is Evian water. Yes, it's bottled in plastic, but, it's better than Yuck water, right?

Thank you for your info on Zephyrhills water, I never bought that brand and I'm not going to start now. I'll let my family and friends know.

May God keep you in His Blessings.
Alta

We'll agree to disagree on reverse osmosis water, Ellen.

It is a subject that was close to my heart. As part of my second book Bursting The Allergy Bubble (Brolga) I spent years researching hydration (what works and doesn't). The experts I interviewed in relation to water were adamant that purified waters were "dead waters", with the bioelectrical potential stripped away.

Many chronic allergy patients are those who have also been on very restricted diets and who have usually been told only to drink purified waters. These people are often chronically dehydrated individuals. You can even see it in their drawn faces.

Glynn Brady used to have a combination of waters which he would muscle test on each individual, and he would also measure hydration in each person. The hard, dry RO waters always tested poorly.

Those who prefer to drink RO water - of any heavily purified waters - would do well to investigate the concept of "energized" waters, which are popular in Europe, especially in Austria.

None of this is too left-field. You can talk to physicists working with water about hard and soft waters.

I'll try to dig up some links. It's been a while now.

Egad!

http://www.scubatampa.com/water.html

What the heck is safe anymore?

There are also some excellent new-age filters available that largely leave the minerals intact.

A combination of these and some device to re-energise the water is an excellent household strategy.

Bathing in the ocean or spring water pools like they do in Europe (or Colorado) is a time-honoured healing strategy for good reason.

These waters are alive and highly energising.

Hi Art,

i have no argument as to which is better... my concern is more, "what is available".

It makes no sense to me, when 99% of people are victims of public water supplies - that in most cases contain more chlorine than a swimming pool during periods of "shocking" that is regularly done, how you can make that water "good" and the equivalent to natures best, with any device.

It would be wonderful to bathe in the ocean, swim in natural springs but is this an option in reality?

I would love to have a device to solve this problem while bathing which is when we consume most of our water... if there is such a device, please share the link - I would buy it! :)

God bless,
Ellen

Hi AltaJ, SisterMax, Dolcinia... I would write more right now but am out of town and having to type on my tiny laptop keyboard which KILLS my eyes!

I like to think it's the laptop but it's probably just another sign of "non-youth" :)

God bless us all as we weave thru the maize of health!

Ellen

Some of Zephyrhills water is bottle not far from me at Crystal Springs along the Hillsborough river not far from Tampa. The Hillsborough and the Springs have a lot of minerals, the river is full of tannins. This may account for what was seen after heating it. The river and the spring are very beautiful and they have done a good job preserving the surrounding watershed. I enjoy kayaking the river, but to be honest, I have never liked the taste of water.

Hi Lia,

Unfortunately that's the real crux of the problem... truth in labeling.

Zephyrhills water does not necessarily come from the source it is named after. Here's a link specific to Zephyrhills:

http://www.theledger.com/article/20080322/NEWS/803220380

There are just too many loopholes that marketers can weasel through IMHO.

God bless,
Ellen

If anyone has them, I'd like to see a well-researched review of water filters (& energizers?).

Since my husband has a lot of skin drying/cracking from Tarceva, we opted for a whole-house AquaSana system, with extra flouride & chlorine filters. The water definitely feels "lighter" and we can taste the difference when the filter needs to be changed.

It seemed to do well in the reports I saw, but I have no way of judging the validity & reliability of the testing that was done for those reports.

Dear Ellen, do you drink alkaline water? Just wondering...Patches

Hi Patches,

No I don't but it is only because of the cost in the machine...

I have spent so much money on my "stuff" (my organic diet, the biomat, a whole house filter, etc) that out of guilt, I just said to myself I would draw the line on this one.

The closest I have come to this is in Penta water.

I would love to hear from people who personally own, and use, water alkalizers like the Kangan.

A good friend of mine works in a Chiropractics office and she has seen first hand how people respond to it...

xoxox
Ellen

Hi Tyler2,

I too bought a whole house filter and then added a reverse osmosis filter at the sink.

For folks who are on public water supplies, I would suggest getting a water test kit (very inexpensive, less than $20 maybe?) and test the chlorine and flouride levels of their water. It can be quite shocking.

The aquasana brand is good... it actually removes the chlorine and other chemicals, not just covers up the smell and taste.

The small filters that go at the kitchen sink only, for drinking and cooking, are often on sale and can be found quite inexpensively.

SisterMax,

Thank you for your link on the water report... it is indeed shocking and repulsive.

From SisterMax's water report, is also this link to the NRDC from a 1999 bottled water report (Natural Resources Defense Council)

QUOTE: "NRDC's study included testing of more than 1,000 bottles of 103 brands of bottled water. While most of the tested waters were found to be of high quality, some brands were contaminated: about one-third of the waters tested contained levels of contamination -- including synthetic organic chemicals, bacteria, and arsenic -- in at least one sample that exceeded allowable limits under either state or bottled water industry standards or guidelines." UNQUOTE

It may have changed a little since 1999, but I would venture to guess not much, according to the Environmental Working Group.

ACS, Art, is correct again of course... It would be wonderful to have a natural, mineralized solution for our water. A healthy water source.

Basics like this should be our right as creatures of the planet...along with fresh air and healthy foods not filled with toxic chemicals and experimental genetics.

I read another post from the forum last night when I got back in town about how the waiting rooms and infusion centers have begun "filling up" lately...

No wonder.

God bless us ALL,
Ellen

Thank you Ellen for this eye opening post! What strikes me the most is the grade the water that my restuarant sells received! At almost $3 a bottle at that!

I used to buy the distilled water thinking that it was pure and better for you, but after reading this post I have decided to do a lot more research on water!
Bets

Betsy,

Your comments remind me of the very same quandry I found myself in again this past week while away from home...

At a restaurant, it is always mind-boggling just how unhealthy the fare is. Trying to find anything that isn't frozen conventional, seasoned with questionable (at best) additives, microwaved, plastic derivatives, packed with preservatives, non-fried, non-charbroiled...on and on... the question of "what to drink" always comes up.

Lately, I had taken to bringing my own tea to the restaurant, but am still helpless as to what water to use with it (I actually had "suds" appear in one cup of my own tea using restaurant water) but on this occasion, I was asked if I wanted Dannon bottled water or tap water. I thought to myself, what's the lesser of the two evils, if there is any difference at all...

It's sad.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders