Whey protein powder for chemotherapy?

My mother is going to have her first round of chemotherapy next Monday. I was recommended by a friend whose mother is going through chemotherapy. Can anyone suggest a brand for whey protein powder? I found Bipro Instant Whey Protein Isolate Supplement from the internet and was going to buy it. But would like to hear from someone who has taken whey protein powder before. Thank you.

Lihong

20 replies. Join the discussion

I REALLY like the taste of the Gold Standard brand; Whey (not Soy) protein powder. You can find it at almost all nutrition and vitamin stores; Vitamin Shop, GNC, etc. They have all different flavors, but I like the chocolate "double rich", not the chocolate "extreme". The chocolate extreme (or extreme chocolate maybe) was too sweet for my tastes. The double rich is actually pretty mild but reminds me of the old fashioned malted milk shakes. I mix it with unsweetened soy milk. My son likes vanilla, and a friend loves the strawberry . The "flavors" don't add but a tiny bit of sugar -
Since I do not eat or drink ANYTHING with sugar or sweeteners, my soy / whey protein shakes are the highlight off my day :)
God bless!
Ellen

I take Biochem Whey Protein every morning with my drink recommended by my naturopath. I get the natural flavour as the rest have alot of sugar in them, i also mix it with a green powder (nanogreens) and it tastes not bad. I dont take it the day before, of and after my chemo.
X

Why whey protein powder? I eat liver but am always interested in doing whatever I can.

Claires;

I love liver and it is super high in many nutrients, but if you eat it alot, you may want to get your copper level checked the next you do a CBC/differentials, as calfs liver is extremely high in copper. Just a well meaning thought...

My limited understanding is based solely on what I have read, and what I have read says that whey protein seems to increase the level of glutathione in normal cells, but to decrease it in cancer cells; this makes the cancer cells more vulnerable to "sudden death" by both chemotherapy as well as alternative treatments (i.e., apoptosis - or suicide - from eating blueberries, for example); also whey protein is proported to help protect against multi-drug resistance.

Again, who really knows? Certainly not I...but it seems doctors, although well meaning, do not "know" either, or there would be a cure for LC... all we can do is do the best for ourselves as possible...

There is much information regarding cancer and copper though (the brief theory behind not ingesting copper or "treating" high levels in our bodies by counter-action with supplements like Zinc is that copper is needed to form new blood vessels... forming new blood vessels is how a tumor gets started, so the "theory" is to basically starve the cancer...)

Blessings!
Ellen

Thanks everyone for your reply. I am going to buy some for my mother, in case she loses too much weight.

Start the whey now. Protein is necessary to heal. The nutritionist at City of Hope told me this. Besides being a very good protein source, whey will help her keep on the weight uncluding muscle. That is a lot healthier for her body than trying to replace lost muscle weight. In addition, whey has anti-cancer properties. Moreover, the whey will help the chemo to work better than otherwise. Whey is food, a byproduct of cheese making. Whey is used by body builders to help build muscle. It is a very good food, excellent for those dx with cancer.

Thank you, Ramona. I have already order some.

Take care,

Lihong

Thanks Ellen! I heard that some protein drinks are harmful during chemo and can have long term negative effects. Will continue to research and post findings here.

My neighbor has a blood cancer and her doctor told her to go to sam's club and you would pay a lot less. I think it is $29.87 for a 5 lb bag of eas brand chocolate or vanilla that last forever. He told her at a health food store it would cost her a whole lot more and the EAS is one of the best... I bought the vanilla and really had a belly ache so hope it does not have too much lactose as I am lactose intolerant. I will try it again, I would love to build up some muscle as I have really had a loss of it. I know you can get the lactose free but never thought of that before buying this. It does have a good taste to it.

By the way the aneurysm that they found on an mri is NOT there so I am very happy about that as it was another thing to worry about. They say someone must have over read the MRI, sure had me worried in case I had to had more chemo at some time as they stopped and old neighbors chemo because of it. Good luck on the whey protein and hope it helps, I did not take it during chemo and I had a lot of muscle wasting. God Bless all

Best wishes to you. Please explore the Metagenics product called ultrameal. It is supposed to be the cleanest and best whey protein. The company has very high quality control standards. You need to be ingesting the very best cleanest anything. It is best to stay as clean as possible and help your body not to have more chemicals to deal with. Also to the person eating liver, that is really no good for anyone. The liver is the part of the body (man and animals) where toxins get filtered. You are ingesting the toxins of whatever animal you are eating. If you have access to the internet you can find out all of this stuff. Please don't rely on your MD to tell you anything but what they are entrenched in believing. They know so little about nutrition and don't give it credibility but there is so much to eating clean food that can help your body. I send heartfelt good wishes and thoughts to anyone who is suffering, patient and family/friends. Empower yourself though, please. And to everyone who is not stricken with this awful disease, think of ways to help yourself to avoid getting it. Please learn about this stuff on your own, because your PCP has no interest in prevention of any disease (not because they are bad people) the medical community just doesn't think that prevention is important. The main thing is to read and be informed and decide the best thing that makes sense and is something that you can do. I wanted to share a site called crazy sexy cancer, it's got alot of info about nutrition and also is pretty upbeat with some good groups. Life is such that we have to play the hand we are dealt and we all do what we have to, to get through it. Bless everyone.

Please don't eat soy. Do some research on anything you are putting on your body. Soybeans that we get in soymilk are genetically modified (not good) and Monsanto (one of the largest chemical companies in the world) is one of the largest producers. Please check it out. You cannot take for granted everything you can purchase is good for you. The food industry does not have your best interest at heart. If you have internet access you can find this stuff out. I am not talking about any radical websites, I mean this stuff is true and you can find out about it and be empowered.

Hello Mary,

After a year of back and forth, back and forth on soy, I reluctantly agree.

I stopped drinking soymilk, commercial as well as homemade, mainly because of the GMO issue... not because of any other "controversial" reason - of which there seems to be many.

However, I will still use Braggs amino spray and miso very occasionally as I believe there may be benefit with fermented soy and cancer. (Very occasionally - too much sodium in my opinion)

God bless,
Ellen

Hi Ellen, Yes there are good and bad soy. I like Braggs products, and miso too. I was drinking soy protein shakes and my husband was drinking soy milk and I thought those were really a healthy things and then I read about soy and I was so amazed because I just didn't know> Bless you and have a wonderful Thanksgiving

Mary,

I tried almond milk (homemade only b/c the commercial has too much "stuff" in it) but the homemade was WAY too pricey and way too high in Omega6 and the risk of aflatoxins so I went on a deeper search and came away with Hemp.

I buy hulled organic hemp seed and make my own "milk" with hemp seed and water. Less expensive than even regular milk, very nutritious wit hte perfect blend of Omega6 and Omega 3 (2:1) lots of clean protein, all the amino acids., etc., etc.

Here's a couple of links:
http://www.innvista.com/health/foods/hemp/seedprot.htm

and

http://www.ratical.org/renewables/hempseed1.html

God bless,
Ellen

Hi Ellen, thanks so much for sending me those links. A doctor told me about the hemp protein as a substitute for whey and I was really interested in trying it, and wanted to get more info on the hemp. Were you reading my mind??? thanks again!!!!!

Hi Ellen, I hope you had a good holiday. Thanks again for the links about the hemp protein. I am getting out of this inspire.com. I keep getting nasty e-mails from people who think I'm a hysterical nut for my views on soy milk. I just got 2 new books I wanted to tell you about "Spent" and "Clean" both written by M.D.'s about being healthy and taking care of your body. Thought you may be interested. Check them out on Amazon to see if you would be interested. I wish you the absolute best, God Bless You.

Been drinking this for 10 yrs. I use 2% milk with 1/2 banana and it is great, like a milk shake. I like the chocolate also. Walmart is the cheapest place I have found it to be. Like 14.00 for 2 lb container. health food stores want 50.00 for 5 lbs. works out better to get the wal mart.

As per the my suggestions whey protein and whey protein isolate from energyfirst also get the best quality as concerned to protein items.....!

I purchase a brand called Unury at unjury.com.They have several flavors.
I add a scoop of the unflavored protien powder to my boyfriend's Ensure to give him more protien and calories, since he lost over 50 pounds since June. I wasnt aware that whey protien has anti cancer properties. This gives me added hope.

WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE wALLMART PRODUCT/

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders