When do chemo start working

Hello everyone. I know I might sound stupid and i even feel arkward asking this. But will the chemo start killing the bad cells right after the first treatment ? Or do I have to have a couple of rounds?

13 replies. Join the discussion

Hi BMK, don't feel bad in any way about asking questions. Chemo starts working immediately but may not start showing results for awhile. Different kinds of chemo work in different ways. For example, some affect the DNA to stop the cells from dividing and others stop the supply of blood from getting to the cells. In any case, it may take some time before the cells actually start to die. Good luck, God bless and keep the faith...
David

it starts right away - but you won't feel the effects for a few rounds - around the third time you will feel it....don't worry - it's working!!!

Thanks David for the info. Will I start feeling sick after the first round or after a few rounds? Or do it depends? I know we are all different. I think me worrying about the side effects and being sick is what's going to make sick because i constantly think about it and I'm finding myself asking the same questions. please guys forgive me for repeating myself over and over. I don't know if that makes sense but please bare with me. Thanks so muck, Kim

Peyz33 thanks so much. I'm trying not to worry but i am so scared. Again, thanks for your help. Kim

I could feel a slight improvement of symptoms within a couple of weeks (less sore shoulder). More so after the second treatment. I never got sick at all. I ate alot, drank alot, and did so frequently. I also visualized it working as often as I could. I even drew pictures. I really believe that your mindset can help the chemo work. It helped me to be around positive people and to make changes in diet. I got rid of sugar and decreased carbs. Best wishes to you.

Like you said, we are all different. Your Oncologist should give you medications that will help greatly with the nausea and anxiety. I was given Emend for nausea and it worked great. I was also given Xanax for anxiety and it helped also. It's only human to be worried but the treatments have come a long way. It's not as brutal as in the past.
Good luck, God bless and keep the faith...
David

Dear BMK,
I never felt really sick from the chemo like I was going to vomit, I had after every round a few days later a bout of light nausea, and it lasted for only about 1/2 hour and went away.
They have medications to give you to stop it from making you feel as if you have to throw up..
All people experience different things, but some are more common.
The fatigue is a common symptom, and with certain chemo drugs muscle aches and joint pains occur quite often too.
Good luck,
Sandy

My husband had no sickness at all. His biggest complaint is pain in his knee joints.He is on the strongest dose of Carbo/taxol. He just had his 5th treatment Tues. Some fatigue but he still goes to the garage and putters all day.
He was terrified the first time he went for treatment. It wasn't half as bad as he thought it would be. After the 2nd he started noticing he could breath better and felt better other than the side effects.
You will do fine. Let us know how you make out.
Joan

What kind of chemo are you on?
Chemo works even if you are not having any side effects.
Annika

Kim - which chemo are you getting? they all have different effects and we are all different - but one thing is a constant - drink alot of fluids - you will get dehydrated - and fatigue - sometimes not too bad - sometimes you just sleep thru it....they will give you meds for nausau (emend works great) don't worry - it's really not as bad as you think it is...promise...
karen

Thanks everyone, But the nurse from my oncologist office called me because they had ordered meds for me to pick up from the pharmacy. i have to start one pill sunday night before my first treatment monday and then one the morning of the treatment and one the day after the treatment. i had already started the b12 injection and folic acid. among the meds that i picked up today was something for nausea and vomiting. you guys have given me so much support and i love you for that. i feel much better already. God bless you all, Kim

A lot of people have no nausea or very little because the drugs they give you for nausea today are so powerful. If you do have any nausea it probably won't last long. As talked about in other posts drinks lots of fluids as you don't want chemo sitting in your bladder, you want it circulating and passing through your system. Most persons do have fatigue, sleep a fair bit more than usual but that is different for everyone also. I think you will be just fine. Good luck and take care.

Thanks luvhubby for the advice. Kim

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders