what NOT to eat while on LOVENOX

Can anybody answer this question please? My mom was told not to eat spinach or bananas (why bananas?) after she got injection of LOVENOX /generic?
What are you NOT supposed to EAT while taking this blood thinner? The company said there are no dietary restrictions and the Dr's office just managed to confuse me by adding that she is to stay away from Vit. K and potassium?

13 replies. Join the discussion

Look on line...ask that same question at ask.com My Doc office gave me 3 pages of stuff not to eat or eat in moderation. Vit k, dark greens, will thicken the blood and defeats purpose of blood thinner. Is she on it temporarly? Someone on here will have the info you are looking for..Be patient. In the mean time, look on line. Best Wishes, Patches

Hi Patches,
Thank you. Yes she just developed this small clot in her leg so they gave her the injection for the next 2 weeks and then she will have to follow up. Hopefully she doens't have to stay on it for much longer.
her doctor's office referred me to a dietician which is what I am doing.
Best wishes to you

My Mom was told the same. It has to do with the fact that anything with Vita K naturally thins the blood.

She was on Arixtra which is similar to Lovenox as well as Plavix.

Hi Olivia, I developed a clot in my Jugular vein during Tx. and was on Lovenox for about 6 wks. Now I am just on Warfarin 10mg. and a couple of baby aspirin per day but regardless of the type of bloodthinner, you want to stay away from foods that have a High Vitamin K content - alot of them are green leafy veggies, but some are surprising (cheddar cheese has more Vit. K than ANY veggie) so you want to look it up online and jot them down. You also want to stay away from cranberries. God Bless You! ♥ Viktory

I am sorry it sounds to me like someone, or a bunch of someones is very confused, and have made you and your mom both confused.,.
The drug Coumadin is the one in which you must watch the intake of all vitamin K, which is found in many green leafy veggies.
Bananas are not even on this list, I think someone got confused as to Vitmain K and the chemical ion potassium.
Bananas have potassium in them and this symbol for it is K+ not Vitamin K, they are two different things all together.
The oral drug anticoagulants called Coumadin or Warfarin Sodium, this drug is one in which the antidote for too much is vitamin K, so they tell you to limit your intake of such green leafy veggies or anything with Vitamin K in it.
Their are no dietary restrictions for the drug Lovenox that I am aware of.
My suggestion is to call back that doctors office, and ask them to speak directly to your physician.
Apparently the nurse in this office is misinformed. and needs re-education on the difference between Vitamin K and potassium.
Also on Coumadin vs. Lovenox!
God bless us all when dealing with mistaken advice from our own doctors offices, it is a scary thought.
Good luck,
Sandy..

I agree with Cuddles (she is a nurse you know). I have taken Lovinox and am currently on Coumadin. Only very small servings of dark leafy greens allowed, no cranberries. Go to internet site for Vitamon K and it will give you a list or the nutritionist at your hospital.

I have been on Coumadin since February, and am apparently declared a life time member of the club! In working with the Kaiser anticoagulation folks, and my naturopath, we have come to an agreement that I will eat healthfully, including leafy greens, and they will adjust the Coumadin to accommodate that. Naturopath feels that the body needs the K to function properly, and to adjust the Coumadin, rather than the other way around. So far, it is working! The main thing is to try to stay pretty consistent with your intake of those leafy veggies, as it does impact the coagulation. I've heard nothing about refraining from bananas, but cranberries were mentioned to avoid. I googled "Coumadin, what foods to avoid" and found some additional info. Hope this helps : )

I'm on Arixtra, and was given no warning about foods/vit K. I appreciate your posting and will ask. The cranberry thing especially, since I like it once in a while.
I agree w sharongm, that you should still eat healthy, keep your level of greens the same, and the dr will be chking the blood level ea month for adjustments. They usually start a a higher dose at first and them back it down. Good Luck.

Sandy (cuddles53) is absolutely correct!

I've been taking Coumadin and Lovenox for 4 DVTs and 2 pulmonary embolisms in the past decade.

I have never read or been advised about any dietary restrictions for Lovenox; it is much gentler on the system and also more quick-acting (sometimes important to prevent movement or growth of a clot).

Coumadin has a lot of dietary restrictions that can interfere with healthy nutrition during chemo.

Having taken both, I have now refused to take Coumadin and always rely on Lovenox injections which work fine for me. I have developed inflamed veins and take Lovenox all the time--no problem. Had a rash, headaches and digestive upsets with Coumadin.

My husband was also on Lovenox when he had a blood clot in his groin two years ago (from NSCLC IV).
No problem.

Great advice here has all ready been given. Definitely google a list of high Vitamin k foods. Consistency is key. (If you eat leafy greens, then always eat leafy greens.) Your coumadin will be adjusted accordingly. My doctor had me decide how many servings of lettuce, spinach, broccoli, greens and parsley I would eat each week and then stick with that routine. He also said no kale ever!! If you google it, you will find that kale has almost 8 times the vitamin k as the next highest food on the list. That hasn't been a problem for me since the only food I ever ate that had kale in it was Olive Garden's Zapata soup. I eat all of the foods with moderate levels of vitamin k, such as peas, asparagus, etc. Cranberry juice thins the blood further which is why people avoid it. Alcohol does the same thing. I did not know about the cheddar cheese connection--I guess I was looking primarily at veggies. Good luck!
Cathy

Thank you all for such great advice, I didn't know about the cheddar but it's good to know.
Did someone say that Vit. K is a blood thinner? I thought it helps clotting or am I confused?
I will be talking to her integrative dr. and her dietician as well just to be on the safe side.

More important - is there anything that one can do "naturally" to prevent the clots? Or does someone have to be on these blood thinners indefinitely?
Love & prayers to all

You are not confused~Vitamin k promotes clotting. Good question about preventing the clots naturally. Sorry I don't have an answer for you. If you find one, please let me know!

Sandy is correct. Unfortunately the person advising you was confused and really ought to get her facts straight before she "teaches" any more patients. Coumadin and lovenox are both anticoagulants but work in different ways. Vitamin K (found in leafy greens, but NOT found in bananas) does not make the blood "thicker" as someone suggested. But it is the antidote for coumadin, so it can counteract Coumadin's effects. However your mom is not on coumadin. You stated that she is on lovenox which is not effected by vitamin K.

A good person to ask about medications is your pharmacist. Checking on line can be ok too but only go to reputable (professional) sites. A lot of "lay" people mean well but don't know what they are talking about.

Good luck.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders