What is the best charity/organization to donate to?

Many of our friends and family are wishing to donate in honor of Chad. I welcome suggestions for which charity/organization you think is the best in the fight against lung cancer.

15 replies. Join the discussion

To be honest wiht you, I am wonderign at present if some of these funds for rearch are better goign to private companies that actually fdo the rearch.
I just looked at an article a member just sent in for a miracle in Australia where they have discovered a gene for the squamous cel lung cancers, and in 3 years think a trial can get started.
I am thinking ti sounds fantastic, but 3 years???
I don't know how to donate to something like this if you buy the company stock, or how it would work, but when I see a cure as a possibility coming out, it sounds so promising to me I want to help with a small donation.
I always donate to the cancer center where I go, and also to the Children cancer hospital.
God bless,
Sandy

It's a great question but, PLEASE don't donate to the American Cancer $ociety!!!

G

Every year we donate to Hospice.

But a your local cancer center is a great idea.

We have folks donate to the hospice organization that took care of my mom (local hospital) and I also asked for donations for Lungevity because I wasn't happy with the American Cancer Society's lack of support for funding of LC. Lungevity is a great organization and they are headquartered here in Chicago.

Hospice gets paid good money, just so you are aware.
Medicare pays top dollar for patients on Hospice.
It is not a charity organization. But we are made to feel as if it is..
Just my opinion on Hospice.
Research and development of treatments is something we need to find a cure.
God bless
Sandy

Research is so desperately needed.

I give to Gundersen Lutheran Foundation, Lung Cancer Research. (a unique, very promising small lung cancer research project).

If you want to give to a major national organization, the Bonnie J. Addario Lung Cancer Research Foundation is outstanding.

Many experts feel that major new developments in the care and treatment of lung cancer are likely with appropriate funding.

HighlandGuy

Hello all and Merry Christmas,

I too donate to Bonnie J. Addario Lung Cancer Research Foundation when I can. Like HighlandGuy says--it's an outstanding organization.

Khari

In the past 3 years, Lung Cancer Alliance has raised more money for research (more than $35 million) than all the other lung cancer organizations combined over all history. Not a hard decision.

The only one that I donated to after the recent passing of my wife was Abigail-Alliance.org. This is a low overhead non-profit whose sole purpose is to lobby congress to give cancer and other patients access to the latest drugs that are in clinical trials. It was founded by Frank Burroughs who lost his daughter to cancer and who could have been helped by drugs that were in clinical trial. Frank was instrumental in getting my wife into the Lucanix compassionate use program. It didn't help my wife because unknown to us she was in a progressive state at the time. Frank's efforts empowered me to demonstrate to my wife how much I loved her by getting her into that program. I will always be grateful to him.

The Lung Cancer Alliance is the only group to lobby for us in Washington . They have a lot of support opportunities available to anyone who needs it. Check them out at Lca. Org. Also check all charities through Chasegiving.com . To see where the money really goes.

Didn't see GRACE at cancergrace.org mentioned. It's at the top of my list.
Hig

John, I checked Chasegiving.com and there is nothing there. Was it the correct link? Thanks, Khari

For the past few years I donate to the Lung Cancer Alliance. They do great work and advocate for patients. They also raise money for research.
joan

Go to freetobreathe.org

Another great place for donations that will be used for lung cancer research is the National Lung Cancer Partnership. I have been involved in the Free to Breathe race in Jacksonville FL for the last two years. Check it out.
Mary

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders