What is a reasonable time to get MRI results

My husband had a brain MRI on Friday, 24th. We are not scheduled to see the doctor until the 5th of May for the results. does it normally take over a week to get results? My husband is in no hurry to get them but i am very anxious.

12 replies. Join the discussion

My doctor calls the day following test if he can't see me that day. I think that is an unreasonable amount of time.
Judie

You should be able to get the results the next day. No more then 2 days if it was done later in the day.I had the nurse read my report to me the next day because the doctor was unavaliable.
Les

ok....I'm the voice of dissent here.....I had a long chat with the radiological onc and he said that it takes about 4 hours for them to be read, the report written and returned to the onc. FOUR HOURS!!! and in some cases, less.

my recommendation is that you call the oncologist's nurses and tell them you are stressed out of your mind and need something back quicker....they will probably help you tremendously...at least I hope they will!!!
hugs
Pat

Regardless of my appointment w/the Dr., I always obtain a copy of the report one or two days later from the facility that took the scan etc.

Mom had a brain MRI today. She is following up with the doc on Wednesday. They should be able to do it sooner than what they told you.

My husband always got his results the same day. I think a week is totally unacceptable.

I called the doctor and we now have an appointment for tomorrow. The PA said that he does not give results over the phone. He would have seen us today but I couldn't make it to his office before he was leaving.

Thanks for everyones input. It made me push to get the results sooner.

That is unreasonal amount of time. Call the doctor, and insist that they tell you the results, possibly they can do it over the phone or get an sooner appt. The stress is not needed on you two. Good luck, Call them now, I would, Karen

Yeah, Karen is right. In one particular instance (not the norm) we got an MRI upstairs, and about an hour later the images were available in the hospital's computer, and we had a consultation with the doc downstairs. The written report took another day (or two at the most).

Day after day of not knowing takes an emotional toll. Do what Karen says.

Glad you got tough with them and got an appt today, please update, I pray the results are good, if not, next step, be ready and fight!! Karen

the MRi results were not good. My husband has 2 spots, 6 mm on the left lobe and another one of 4 mm within the medial temporal lobe. The doctor says these are very small. He is recommending radiation and to continue with the second line of chemo, altima. He only had 1 cycle of this before but then it was stopped since he was so weak. He needed to get some strength back. He has been having treatments, first chemo and then radiation of neck, since November and has never recovered from it all.

He is now having thoughts of just not doing anything. He is nervous of getting even weaker with starting another regimen of chemo and radiation.

Next day latest! This isn't a drycleaning order it is our lives. NEXT DAY or go elsewhere.

Bill

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders