What does mastoid opacities mean

As we know I have vertigo that began in August, got better and hit me again after last chemo 9/4. A brain Mri was done in late August and no mets...however am told today onc says it shows mastoid opacities bilaterally. I know I am going to a neuro ent in a week, just thought yall might know about this relevant to dizzy/vertigo sudden and then chronic.

As always so appreciate everyone

Donna

4 replies. Join the discussion

Mastoids are some of many sinuses. Go from there. I'm tired. Good luck

Here's a link that explains it:

http://voices.yahoo.com/causes-treatment-opacification-sinuses-or-5414085.h tml

God Bless

Dear Donna,

Mastoid cells, sometimes called mastoid air cells, refer to the air pockets formed by the honeycomb-shaped bone structure of the mastoid process which is also part of the sinus process. The mastoid process is located behind each ear.

That mastoid opacifications have been discovered is a good things in so much as it will bring you closer to a cause and treatment for your balance and visual disturbances. Mastoid opacification's, as seen on a scan, suggest that the air-fluid 'balance', which is normally present, has been replaced.

In a 'normal' scan result, the air cells of the mastoid process appear as small dark spaces. When there is inflammation and/or infection present, these air cells will appear as gray or white areas on a scan. When this is the scan finding, then they are referred to as mastoid opacities. The addition of the word 'Bilaterally' suggests that you have mastoid opacities in the area behind both of your ears. Bilateral simply means 'both sides'.

This finding is very relevant to your symptoms and it can help to determine that, at one time in the recent past, you did have an inner ear infection, which may very well have cleared. But, there exists the possibility that some of the infection did escape into the mastoid process and remained there.

Additionally, there can be bleeding (either old or recent) in the mastoid area can cause opacities to be present. Sometimes this bleeding can be from a trauma or injury; sometimes it is a negative reaction to medication(s) and, finally, it can be from an injury to the inner ears which has since repaired itself but, nonetheless, some blood did make its way into the mastoid area.

Again, may your 'spinning days' be a thing of the past ... except, of course, when you chose to 'twirl and spin' with joy!

Louise in Montreal

Wow Louise and cheesie too thanks a million!!! Will print and take with me to appt.

Thanks again
Donna

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders