Well not strong enough to even start chemo

Well, seems like the pneumonia is getting worse. He's very short of breath. They didn't start chemo on him because his sats were down to 86 after resting for 10 minutes and on oxygen. His heart rate is in the 130's. He has a low grade fever. The pulmologist said to keep him on the same antibiotics and come back if he gets worse......he's been on those antibiotics for 7 days now. So we called the oncologist.....he's calling in another antibiotic and a nebulizer that doesn't affect the heart rate(forgot name). Going there tomorrow. Not sure how long the body can handle sats in the 80's and a heartrate of 130's. And I'm a nurse. I'll try to post tomorrow. Pray that it's just a pneumonia that we can treat. someone told me that it's very difficult to treat an obstructive pneumonia(the cancer is obstructing it). Prayers for our family.
Lisa O

16 replies. Join the discussion

Dear Lisa,

This is so hard for everyone, I offer positive vibes and healing thoughts.

Melody

Lighting a candle for you tonight. You are in my prayers

Blessings
Barb

Prayers for you, Mel and your family Lisa.
God bless,
Darlene.

I am hoping that he is on continuous oxygen?? If not he needs to be. It will help the heartrate too. Hang in there. Glad that you got another antibiotic and nebs....seven days is a pretty clear cut failure of a drug I he is still that sick! Keep advocating for him!

Prayers for him and your family. Is he not in the hospital with that pneumonia?
Sandi

Still praying for a turnaround!
God bless,
liz

Dont worry, God has his hand on him....he shall over come this....God bless us all.

Thanks everyone. Yes he is on continuous oxygen at home. But even on the oxygen this morning his sats were very low. As far as hospitalization, we really want to try to avoid it if possible. He's comfortable at home. We want home health care and IV antibiotics. Not sure why we can't get them. I know he was on triple antibiotics the first time he had pneumonia when he was diagnosed. My sister is there now and if we don't get the answers we want, I'm going to call as well. I'm going tomorrow. I mean, he needs IV antibiotics, if we have to go to the hospital then we have to go in. Thanks again everyone for all your prayers and positive thoughts.
Lisa O

Lisa
Please get Mel on hospice. I have never said that to anyone, but this guy needs supportive care now. Tell him he can quit when he gets stronger if he wants, but his condition is bad, he is stubborn, he lives alone, and toying with an idea with 5th line chemo any time soon does not sound reasonable.

Tell me to buzz off, it's none of my business, or ignore me. You know I am yor positivity coach, but this the time I have to tell you something in order to live with myself.
With love,
Pam

I agree...get him on hospice now. He does sound bad and very glad you are there. This is a very very hard situation to be in for anyone. Prayers going your way for oeace and comfort and of course and BIG turn around for the positive.

Stanifa

Hi Lisa, May God Bless Mel, clear up his pneumonia, help him to breathe and Heal him.....You're doing a wonderful job caring for your Brother; don't forget to rest and take care of yourself....God Bless You! ♥ Viktory

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family tonight, hopefully he will be better soon.

Thank you all. Pam yes you're my positivity coach and I do appreciate all you or anyone has to say. I know he needs hospice that's why I'm going today. I love my sister who is with him but she needs to step up to be his patient advocate. She's just out of her element. But her heart is made of Gold. I am going to ask about hospice and IV antibiotics. I love you all for all your support. Will post later.
Lisa O

Prayers for your brother and family. My brother also has sclc and next week we will find out if he can do another treatment. He's had 5 chemo lines. It's all so difficult...
Barb

Lisa,
I'm keeping you, your brother, and your family in my thoughts today....
Karen

Lisa,

My prayers and positive energy go out to you...Cindy

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders