Vitamin C and Chemo

FYI

http://www.webmd.com/cancer/news/20081001/vitamin-c-chemotherapy-bad-combo

25 replies. Join the discussion

In a multi-vitamin you'd be ok. Taking extra vit. C is what is sounds like they're talking about.
Take care, Judy

I was on Vitamin C and I know that my Dr. requested me to go off of Vitamin C. I was also on a mulitple vitamin and he requested I not take it also until after my chemo.

You'll get some that say it's ok to take a multi-vitamin and those that say not to. I've always read it's ok to take the MV. Because while you're on chemo you're probably not eating as much and your body does still need those vitamins and minerals. Some chemo they prescribe folic acid and B12 shots for. It's always best to check with your doctor. Take care, Judy

Agree--the MV is normally a smaller dose and I'm on folic acid AND a monthly B-12.....

This article is almost 2 years old and thinking seems to change by the week regarding what to have or not with chemo...any newer follow up out there? I'm not nay0saying but forever wondering and questioning (as are the dr's!)

I wouldn't put too much stock in that report, I've been taking multivitamins and capsules of C plus several other suppliments as long as I have been in Chemo and I'm one of the healthiest patients my oncologist has. I rarely get colds, did not lose my hair with Taxol, and have put on weight all while getting 1 to 2 treatments a week for the last two years. It was my oncologist,in fact, who recomended the Vit C capsules.

Agree Suzie!! This is ALL a moving target--too bad WE have to be the one to keep track of so much of this.......

It is hard to keep track of it all isn't it???

How much Vit C are you taking Pstarr?? I have some Emergen C but that is like 1000 MG and I know that is a lot......

What are you doing for your diet? I am so early in the treatment that the cancer is still REALLY hungry--I'm trying to keep at 2500-3000 calories with protein shakes, grits/eggs and several BOOST per day..

I am doing the Alimta/cisplatin/avastin deal so who knows.......

Kentsjoland,I am on same chemo as you.I take 1000 mgs bid of vitamin C for atrial fibrillation I developed with my Rt lobectomy.I am less sick with copd,atrial fib is better,I do take other meds too.I just read the article but I even have shrinkage now.I couldn't have chemo last year due to complications.So I appreciate the info but my onc is aware.So as they say,"That's my story and I am sticking to it."But all of us need information to make good decisions with cancer and In thank you and sent for the e-mail update to.Prayers you do well on this chemo too.AndiB

Kentsjolund, I take 1000 mg. 500 in the morning and 500 at night. I say capsules because my oncologist said they are better that the pill form. I have to concur with him because my husband was getting colds like every 3 months, and of course if we were not super careful I would get them too. But since we started the Capsules zero colds for both of us! My diet is just healthy foods nothing special, I do eat a lot of yogurt and berries (frozen not fresh, I live in Puerto Rico and they rarely have any fresh berries here except strawberries) When I can get it I buy Acai berry puree and frozen cherries which I make smoothies from. My regamin of vitamins is: a multivitamin, Vit C, Vit B complex, 1000 mg Fish oil, and Calcium,then my "anti cancer" suppliments, include Resveratrol, Tart Cherry Extract, Ginseng, for energy, Modified Citrus Pectin, and a local remedy called Anamu, which comes from a "weed" that smells exactly like garlic. I take it in pill form though cause could not stand the taste of it. I have no Proof any of this works but I had a tumor in my left lung and pleural wall that grew to 9 cm and it can no longer be seen even by PET scan, so something I'm doing is working. Oh my Chemo drugs are Taxol, Avastine, and Decadrone, which I get weekly, no break unless the Doc is out of town. The Taxol and Decadrone is weekly, the avastine is every other week.

Pstarrdr---Have you tried any of the mushroom supliments on my profile?? Corlious versicolor and maitake?? LOTS of validated clinical studies in Japan....

Thanks for the info on the Vit C!!

My Husband takes high doses of Vitamin C along with numerous other supplements. When he was initially daignosed as grade 3b NSCLC, we strictly followed our oncologist and did not use any supplements, but relied only on chemo-radiation. After 6 chemo and 30 radiations, we were told the primary sites were clear and no evidence of cancer, However 3 months later,the next scan showed metastases. PET revealed one in liver and one in iliac crest. So we were encouraged to take palliative chemotherpay- 4 cycles of Carboplatin 660mg/Pemetrexed(Alimta) 975mg) and advised to take Folic acid daily and Injection B12 was given on 1st cycle and after 3 cycles. After 4 cycles, he continues to take Alimta every 3 weeks. We were told that chemo is not effective in 40 % and that if effective it will prolong life. The oncologist told us without chemo, life expectancy was average 9 months, with chemo if it is effective then it is average of 2 years. We decided to do chemo. However after first session, he developed very severe pain and on scans found that in the 2 months he had developed 2 metastases in the spine, 2 in ribs and 3 in the brain. We then decided to start complementary medications. We saw a new doctor who practices allopathy along with nutritional medicine. He gave me articles to read regards all treatments. From January we started on supplements - Vitamin C, Reservetrol. Green tea supplements, Mushroom extracts, Cell-Forte, Lactoferrin, Biopectin, Curcumin, Pomegranate extract, Vitamin D mega doses, Vitamin E and K, Pancreatic enzmyes, Cimetidine, green juices, carrot and beet root juices, no sugar in food, exercise, meditation, homeopathy and chinese meds and lots of prayers and faith that God is healing him.
He received palliative whole brain radiation - 5 sessions in Feb. From March we found that he started to respond. No more pain and all pain killers ceased. latest brain scan CT_PET and MRI shows no lesions in the brain. Lesions in the liver are decresing in size., and bone lesions are healing. He has no new lesions and he is said to be stable. Our GP who oversees all his supplements, checks his CEA tumor markers. They have gradually been decreasing from 581.6 in Nov 09, to 130.4 in Jan 2010, 24.13 in Mar and 7.28 on 5th May 2010 and the last one in July was 6.7. He is doing remarkably well. We think it is due to the supplements he is on, but we took a risk as we had no other options. During radiation, we ceased antioxidants and re-started them later on advice of our health practioner who is a qualified doctor. In July we went overseas for cyberknife treatment for lesions in the spine, liver and lung. We have not done a scan or a CEA level after that. My husband is now able to go for long walks and is now looking to do a driving assessment to drive again. He was looking very sick in Jan-Feb, but now he looks well and does not appear to be sick. We keep claiming God's healing in his life.

To All--do not discount the power of GOD and FAITH. The comfort I get from prayer and the word is a LARGE part of what comforts me AND gives me the warrior spirt to use the tools which He has given me......

Yes I firmly believe it is prayer and faith that makes a bit diference. My husband listens to Healing CDs on the Word every single day and we all claim this healing. It is our strength. Before starting on any treatment we pray and if we are at peace, we make a decision. Do not know what's working but at this stage, his disease is stable and he is well.

Some links -

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/39528.php
http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2008/08/05/2324591.htm
http://www.sciencealert.com.au/news/20101907-21151.html
http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/174/7/937
http://www.jaoa.org/cgi/content/full/107/6/212

However there are lots of links which are against Vitamin C, I think the effect of Vitamin C is dose related and also the method of administration. It also depends on the type of chemotherapy one is on, and the mechanism of its action. My husband is on Alimta, which acts by disrupting folate-dependent metabolic processes essential for cell replication, hence it does not depend on oxidation.

We need more research in this area. I am only sharing our experience.
All the very best.

There are several things to consider when evaluating this study.

First it was investigating non-solid tumors (leukemia) not solid tumors like NSCLC. Next it was done in mice. Mice produce their own vitamin C, humans do not.

So it is really unclear if supplementing mice with extra vitamin C is comparable to supplementing humans with vitamin C.

In humans taking vitamin C orally will not result in high doses of vitamin C absorbed into the system. IV vitamin C will result in increased levels of the vitamin in the blood stream.

There are a number of studies that suggest that vitamin C protects the kidneys and other organs from the damaging effects of some chemotherapies.

Probably the most important study suggests that vitamin C and improves quality of life in stage IV cancer patients. (1)

(1) Changes of terminal cancer patients' health-related quality of life after high dose vitamin C administration. Yeom CH, Jung GC, Song KJ.
J Korean Med Sci. 2007 Feb;22(1):7-11.

"In terminal cancer patients, the quality of life is as important as cure. Although there is still controversy regarding anticancer effects of vitamin C, the use of vitamin C is considered a safe and effective therapy to improve the quality of life of terminal cancer patients."

I have a 75,000 mg. vit C IV push (rapid drip) twice per week. Strongly believe that it is killing cancer cells in my body. I didn't take any antioxidants while on chemo, but am currently taking only Tarceva.

Be very very careful with folic acid. Here's the best article I have seen on the topic.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/nutrition-tips-folic-acid_b_601 126.html

I am blessed that SO FAR minimal side effects BUT I have only had two of six chemo (alimta/cicplatin/avastin).
Some eye watering, some joint ache/muscle at night and VERY dry throat (middle of the night) and some fatigue.

I have some cough and can feel the cancer i n my lungs but....have only had two treatments so.......

I am going to start the 1000 mg Emergen C powder along with my Maitake, Corleous and IP-6

Relatively newly published article on the safety of IV vitamin C... for anyone interested.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20628650

As always GK-Your input it VALUED--Good information.....

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders