Vicks Vapor Liquid in hot water breath in question

The doctor recomended that my Dad put some hot water in a steel bowl with some vicks vapor liquid and breadth in 4 to 5 time per day to get the lungs working better again. Does anybody have any experience with that? Does it work? My Dad says he feels better when he does that.

18 replies. Join the discussion

I had ashma as a child and my mother used to do that for me when I couldn't breath. She would get the water really hot on the stove then drop some vicks in. She would then set the pan on the table and put a towel around my head(like a tent) and tell me to breath in deeply. It always worked. Good luck and blessings to you and your dad. Sophia

You ask "Does it work?". Well, I guess it does. Didn't Dad say he feels better??

Yes...He does feel better after he does that...But I wanted to see if anybody else had other lung clensing ideas. Thanks.

Years ago, I used to use that method. I have had allergies all my life, but once in a while, I would wake up in the middle of the night and start coughing. It felt like a lot of thick mucus was trying to clear. I had tried cough meds but it did not work, so I remember years ago that my grandmother used to do this for my grandfather.

She used a porcelain dishpan, a towel, steaming hot water and some kind of wintergreen stuff in a bottle. He used to put the towel over his head to keep the steam in and it obviously broke up congestion.

Well, when I had these attacks, I did the same thing with Vicks Vapo Rub, and it did help settle down the cough. I have not had an attack like that in decades and am grateful I don't anymore.
Hope this helps,
Marylou

Hi Mary Lou,

That does help and sounds like that is a good course to take...

Rocco

I, too, had a grandmother who used that vicks in hot water method on any of us when we were congested. To this day I continue to recommend it to my grandchildren. Worked great then and still does.

Donna

My mother use to rub the vicks on our chest and cover it with a towel, we also used to put a little on our tongue and swallow it but that is a no no now... Also a little in our nose. It is good stuff. I still use it and put a little under my nostrils and rub on my chest. Some of those old fashioned remedies should have never been set aside for all the antibiotics we put in our bodies.....I still believe this fibromyalgia is caused by some type of medicine as all at once, too many people have it or else it is the fast paced life we now live...Take care God Bless all. Love and prayers mitziger

I just got over a really bad head cold and I believe the Vicks is what kept it from going to pneumonia. It worked like a charm and let me sleep too.

I'd keep using it.

God Bless

It was old school. But hey! Some of these old remedies really works! I had not thought of this in years.
We put it on our chests also after a hot bath, and it would help open the nasal passages if you had a cold.
I like this doctor he goes too!!
Sandy

I think your doctor is smart enough to use his grandmother's treatment. My grandmother used it, and it does work.
Carol

Hey Chessie,
Was wondering where you have been. Glad you are shaking that bad cold.
God Bless,
Marylou

not sure thats what i always remember as a child and i have done it with my children until the dr said not to that it wasnt good for them so who knows, sorry not much help!

After a full day if thoughts, we will continue to do this 4 to 5 times per day...I pray to get those lung working again as they should.

Hi Rocco, here in New Zealand I remember my Mum doing this for us as kids to clear colds & congestion. Worked a treat.

As a sideline to other posts telling about rubbing Vicks on chests, pillows etc - we rub it on our feet before going to bed. The heat from our feet in bed causes the vapour to come up under the bedcovers and give relief for colds etc.

Good luck to your Dad - glad to hear it does give him some relief.

Cheers Vicki

Rocco, it is wonderful how much you care about your father. Sometimes you have to do what works for him even if nobody else has ever done it. If it works it is great. His lungs may never get back to their original shape but if he still has some quality of life and can get around and do things that is the main concern. I have had part of a lung removed and chemo and radiation on another part of the bronchial tube. My breathing isn't as good as it was but with help of some inhalers occassionally, I get along fine. I do all the same things I have always done and nobody knows I sometimes am short of breath because by keeping active and doing what works for me i keep the shortness of breath to a minimum and it is now only an occasional thing. Good luck to your father and to you also. You are a good son and he is lucky to have you.

I remember using a VAPORIZER when our children were sick. I'd put Vicks into the cup where the hot steam passed through. Worked wonders and kept it on all day, replacing water & vicks as needed. perhaps someone still has the electric vaporizer.

I think a good many of us did this as a child and it worked. I'm beginning to think that some of these old home remedies should be used more often.

Leslie

Hi Marylou1,

Still kicking. Been down with this blasted cold but it's on the run now. Just getting back into the swing of things.

Glad all is going well.

God Bless.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders