Valerie Harper Has Lepto : (

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2013/03/06/valerie-harper-has-ter minal-brain-cancer/1966543/

15 replies. Join the discussion

It is very sad that her lc recurred in such a way.
My heart goes out to her.
Thank you for sharing.
Annika

Sounds like she is at peace...God Bless her and I hope there is a miracle for her.

On her FB PAGE, that she is still responding to, I was wondering if I should mention Tarceva pulse?
She said in one of the stories that she never smoked, so I'm assuming she's on Tarceva.

on the news they said it was Brain cancer....either way - tragic news...

No... It's lepto : (
I saw it on at least five stories.
She had Lung cancer in 2009

This breaks my heart. I met her through my job about ten years ago. I used to deal with celebrities all the time and I can honestly say she is the nicest, most down to Earth person I have ever met. We talked about her kids, cooking, and all sorts of things. What a sweetheart. I just don't understand why good people have to suffer when there are so many evil people who live long and healthy lives...

Sadder still...the lc stigma prevails...

Banner Headlines...BRAIN cancer...NOT metastatic lc

I ask myself, when put to the test, will I do the right thing or the popular one?

I grieve her situation BUT, not the lefthanded bullshit!

G

I agree re: "brain cancer". I read the article in our local paper a half-dozen times this morning and it just wasn't sitting right. "Wait... lepto?? that's her LC progressing not a new (brain) cancer". I can only hope that her PR people put it out and spun without her full knowledge and consent because instead of being an opportunity to help us, it just adds to the shame / stigma. I've had a couple situations recently where people revealed to me they had relatives with LC but publicly attributed the death to the metastasis site (i.e. liver or "bone cancer"). Argh. So frustrated.

Yes, very frustrating. I heard a tv reporter last night say that she has beaten lung cancer !!? - as if this brain mets is a new primary. Ugh -so annoying.

My mother passed away fom this complication. We were all shocked and saddened by this diagnosis as the prognosis was grim. I wish a miracle for her. It is also very courageous of her to speak out and to try to raise awareness for this dreadful disease. Hope there are more cures soon.

Such a devastating diagnosis for certain. When the cancer cells get into the spinal fluid w/lepto they can go anywhere in that path. Seems like the symptoms from lepto and the same as you get from CNS cancer or brain cancer - they must diagnose based on where they see the cells so if all through the spinal fluid, it's lepto. My husband also passed away from SCLC w/Lepto Metastases that affected the spinal roots initially resulting in his inability to walk but then he had problems in the last week of his life with his ability to write (kind of scribbly looking) and with talking in the last 4 days of his life so I wonder if the cells went into his brain as well. He went quickly downhill but peacefully so I am forever greatful for that.

My mom's memory and motor functions just started going down hill. My mom was pretty functional before she went into the hospital. After she was hospitalized, we lost the walking, talking, and writing. Lepto mets is very difficult to witness as the person you love starts deteriorating so quickly and there's nothing you can do. You really feel helpless. I hope there is something else they can try on Valerie if she wants. It seems as though she is going to do intrathecal chemo based on what I read online. The options now are just so limited and terrible.

I hate it for her. She really could bring more awareness to lung cancer if she would put it out there more. it's a shame celebs seem to run from lc.

http://watch.accesshollywood.com/video/valerie-harper-thankful-for-all-the- support-from-fans-friends-over-cancer-diagnosis/2221819735001

Even though the Access Hollywood web page descriptions still call it "brain cancer", Ms Harper makes the connection to LC at about 8:30 in the clip. She states that it was difficult to diagnose and I am going to take her at her word that they initially did not know / were surprised that it was linked to her 2009 LC. I'm hoping she becomes an advocate for all of us.

I've watched several interviews with her. She's a class act, and I hope I can check out of here with that much grace and be remembered as smiling, as she will be.

Toes

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders