Urgent question about MD Anderson and medicare

We want a second opinion at MD Anderson but we're aren't sure they will take medicare part B. If you have been there and used medicare would you please respond and tell me if you had to pay any upfront money to get in. I can find out on Monday but you know how it is...we're worrying and it's the weekend. Thanks in advance.

4 replies. Join the discussion

They cannot refuse medicare but can refuse to acccept "medicare assignment" If that is the case the most, they can charge you is 15% more than medicare would pay them. If they do not "accept medicare assignment" then if medicare would pay $100.00 to them for something, the most you would pay out of pocket would be $15.00. Do you not have "medigap" insurance.?

We don't have medigap because he only qualified for medicare recently and hadn't chosen a plan. If anyone who reads this is putting that off....please take care of it today because you never know what's around the corner.

I have AARP medigap insurance. I have yet to pay one PENNY for any of the tests, chemo, radiation etc etc that I have had over the past 15 months.....................M.C.

They are a state hospital, so I would assume that yes, they take that. I've not ever been asked for money up-front, even with health insurance and co-pays. My local hospital made me pay the $300 co-pay before they'd operate in an emergency situation. MDA has always billed me later.

Try not to worry about the financial side of it. I know it's hard not to, though.

Hugs!

Lorie

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders