tumor close to spinal cord

My friend has been living with stage IV for over a year, had chemo, etc. He now has a tumor very close to spinal cord, which they say could paralyze him before death. He is now having 10 radiation treatments to try to stop the growth. Anyone out there had this situation?

15 replies. Join the discussion

My husband 62 years old had been diagnosed with small cell lung cancer in 8/26/08. The cancer has matastasized to the liver, bones and some in his brain. Its starts with constantly coughing then chest & back pains and in the next couple days he felt numness in his legs and could not walk. I took him to the hospital. Found out he has tumor behind the spinal cord wich is damaged nerve. He only can walk with walker because he lost sansations and ballance.It was too late for him to prevent this terrible damage.
I hope it is not too late for your friend.
Good luck

Thank you, hopefully the radiation will keep it at least where it is. He has had a rough year but survived his prognosis now by 9mos. survival rate. I don't exactly understand the difference in NSC & SC I always thought NSC was the worse. My friend is 69yrs old & has battled for his life, but I am afraid now is close to the end. I will keep you & your family in prayers.
Dodies

Hi Dodies.

I have Stage 4 adenocarcinoma and had a met to the back of the L3 vertebra, poking into the spinal cord (actually the 'horse's tail' part of it). It was causing sciatica, which I could live with, but worse was the threat of incontinence and/or paralysis, so I had 14 sessions of radiation to the area and it apparently worked as the sciatica disappeared. Good luck!

Ellen

Thank you, maybe it will help him. I have a paraplegic 17yr old nephew and I know way to well how he lives.
Dodies

I am praying the radiation works, Karen

Thank you

I am praying this radiation works for your friend, , and to you Ellen in Pa, I am so sorry I didn't know you had this horrible cancer in the vertebra. so sorry to hear that, but so happy you are not having that pain in the sciatica either. god bless you.
From Sandy

when i was Dx in
March 2008 with adenocarcinoma stage 4 nsclc, i was at a routine doctor visit. My alk phos made in the liver was high...anyway, after w eek of tests i got the Dx.

I had a spine met that was very close to paralyzing me from the neck down, so the very next day I began radiation for 17 days and it is stable now, so yes, all will be well.

How scary that all of this was in my body and I had NO idea.

ncslc is slower growing than small cell.

I have avoided regular radiation for fear of radiation damage, especially around the spine. I had an L4 spinal met successfully treated last year with Tomotherapy. That's the only radiation treatment I'm willing to use, but maybe I'm being overly cautious. I just believe that anybody who develops a spinal met needs to be super careful in their choice of treatment. Explore your options.

Thanks for all your response

Dodies

Hi Sandy.

Thanks for the kind words. I've had bone mets in the pelvis since dx (12/07) -- the vertebra met came a few months later. Bone mets sound terrible but they actually seem to be quite manageable -- it's pretty hard to die from them and radiation seems to be very effective if they get out of hand.

Ellen

I always was so afraid of that happening to me, I am glad you told me that because I would have been devastated. I always thought the pain was so bad it was unbearable? My friend died of bone cancer and she had so much pain almost her lifetime with the cancer.
We are all suffering in our own little hell one way or the other with this horrible disease, I will say some prayers for you and hope you get healed. I think you must be very brave to have gone through what you have berern through with this. i have been what i would call kind of lucky up to this point. My tumors are in the right lung, and lymph nodes, I do not have any more mets that I am aware of, i am suspicious of my brain at some points because my vision has really gone down hill.. Also some faint pains in my head at times. yesterday, I was dizzy all day, and had alot of fluid edema in my right leg, so I always thin something new is starting up, only to have it go away and then something else. Good Luck to you Ellen, I see many of your informative posts and appreciate the insight you have. From Sandy

My wife April age 39 has NSCLC with a met on her spine. We opted to surgically remove the tumor and fuse the verts above and below it together followed by 10 radiation treatments. she is recovering well but has some numbness and intermittent pain in her leg we are hopping goes away. It has only been 5 weeks and she is walking, shopping and driving like a champ. She will start chemo on may 7th.

Thanks for those who posted to give their experience. My wife has a met at C4 and I'm chasing getting it treated. The oncologist's first opinion was not to treat, but I've learned on this site how nasty the situation can get if a vertebra fails after being weakened by a tumor.

Hi Sandy.

Bone mets are painful depending on what they're in contact with. If they're poking a nerve or are in contact with moving parts, they can hurt a lot. Otherwise, they don't seem to hurt at all. At least that's been my experience. And, when they hurt, oncs seem to love to prescribe oxycodone, Oxycontin, Percocet, etc -- which did squat for me. What helped me enormously was prescription-size doses of Ibuprofen, i.e. 800 mg, 4 or 5 times a day (taken with Pepcid or something like that to protect the stomach) -- that's 4 of the 200 mg pills you can buy OTC. Others have told me that Ibuprofen helped them too -- I guess doctors don't get the kickbacks from Ibuprofen that they do with Oxycontin... ;)

Thanks for the prayer offer but please save your energy -- I really don't appreciate them. Sorry.

Ellen

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders