Tumor attached to aorta

I am undergoing chemo Taxol/Carboplatin and Radiation (Tomotherapy) for a 5cm tumor attached to the back of the aorta, I'm getting mixed messages from Onc and Radiaologist on how serious this is.......there is no lymp node involvement and no spread
Anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks so ,uch for any help

20 replies. Join the discussion

I don't have any experience with a situation like yours. I would think this is serious because the aorta is a large artery that comes from your heart to supply blood through out your body. Hopes that helps.

Francine

Is it operable? xoxoxo, NDM

I have a similar situation, mine is touching a main artery.
The pulm Dr says its inoperable but is sending me to a surgeon on monday for a second opinion. I will have my 1st oncology visit on Next Thurs. Keep us posted.

Thanks

No experience with that, But sending you Prayers
and positive thoughts. Make sure that your oncologist
is supportive and that your getting information
that you are grasping and your comfortable with.
If not get a second opinion.

Blessings MARIA

Hey, Ben,
Just sending you all healing energies and prayers all goes well. I agree with Maria, if you are not comfortable with the information your team is giving, sometimes getting a second opinion is wise. All the best to you!
Stay warm...
Peg

How do you know there is no lymph involvement? My highest thoughts are with you

The surgeon attempted a pnuemonectomy before discovering the attachment and couldn't get a clear margin, she did biopsy all the nodes before closing, so that was good news
My concern is radiation and chemo getting the tumor
Thanks so much for your thoughts

My moms tumor was very close to pulmonary artery. She had chemo and radiation and is now in remission. Best wishes for a good outcome.

In the start of my mess, I had a masslike thing wrapped around my pulmonary artery and a massive pericardial effusion (which required an emergency pericardial window). Since then, between the chemo and the tarceva, I now have no evidence of malignancy. So I think that even in a bad place (let's face it - whether the aorta or pulmonary artery or heart - this is not where we want things to be and it is extremely serious) if you respond well to the arsenal of weapons that they throw at it, you can have a good outcome. I think it is very good news that it is locally contained.

The radiation should be able to treat this without harming the aorta. The aorta is large and apparently does well through radiation. I just had this question come up. Also, you might be happy to know that radiation tends to create an immune response whereas surgery does not. Furthermore, surgery often with provoke metatasis whereas radiation will not. I wish I remembered exactly what he immune response is called, but basically, when the radiation attacks the tumor, the protiens covering the cancer cells, that disguise them from your immune system, come off and your immune system can recognize the cancer cells. This happens in about 50% of cases.

You should be just fine. Good luck!

Ben,
I have had the same treatment but not to the aorta. I know this tumor of yours is in a very dangerous area. I just want to tell you that I have made it through the treatment, radiation near the esophagus due to lymph involvement. I also want to tell you that a family friend had one near the aorta like yours and his treatment shrank his tumor away from the arota. Have faith that it is possible for this tumor to go away. Pray everyday to the Lord Jesus to remove this cancer from you.

My son's name is Ben. I will pray a prayer for you when I test him which is lot. I know how frightening this is but I am just sure that you will be fine. Do not panic. Ok.
Julie JB

Hi Ben
A mass was found in my mediastinum and some of the tumour was firmly attached to the aorta. A bad prognosis was given. However I decided to give things a go. Chemo was prescribed and there was some response with shrinkage. At completion of chemo, the oncologist then went for radical radiotherapy and all four tumours disappeared!
No surgeon would operate near the aorta area - far too dangerous. One wrong move.......
That was nearly three years ago!!!
I am fit, well and healthy!

Thanks to all for your responses and encouragement

BL,

You likely need a "sit down" with the surgeon to clarify if the tumor has invaded the aortic tissue or if it's abutting the aorta. BIG, big difference.
As I've said before there are surgeons and then there are "magicians" with a scalpel.
Depending on your answer to my original question, it may be possible with shrinkage from chemo/radiation, to remove the tumor by a "magician".

Good Luck,

G

Hi Ben. I don't have any information for you, just want to share my similar problem. My right lung cancer is approx 4 cm and involves the pulmonary artery. My onc and thoracic surgeon advised against a pneumonectomy at this time and I am undergoing chemo to attempt to shrink the tumor then possibly a wedge resection or pneumonectomy. At first I was told they would do chemo and radiation, but that changed to just chemo (taxol and carbo) for 6 cycles unless tumor shrinks enough for surgery before the 6. Anyway, I agree with all that it is very serious, but I know my doctors are doing what they feel is best and I have to trust their judgement. I am following up at MD Anderson after my 3rd chemo cycle whether I'm doing better or not. I have spoken with them and was advised that they would see me but would more than likely recommend the same treatment I am getting right now, so decided to follow up after 3rd cycle as they advised. Good luck with all of this. I know exactly what you're going through and will keep you in my thoughts.

My husband has tumor wrapped around his aorta and pulmonary artery.... has a small pericardial effusion. Diagnosed March 2011, currently on Tarceva working full-time. Tumor is still there, but not growing (not shrinking either) but it doesn't bother him :)

Hi: My wife sue had the tumor wrapped around the main vein going into her hart. She also had two lymph nodes involved and a plural enfusion. She was diagnosed stage 3b adeno carcinoma nsclc. The surgary was not succesful. She had a port put in for the chemo. The surgeon located the port so the chemo dripped right on the tumor. She had 12 rounds of carbo/toxal and 36 concurrent rounds of radiation. At the conclusionshe 4 rounds of alimta. Sue has been tumor free for almost 3 years and is 100%. One thing to note a chemo sensitivity/ resistant test showed that sues cancer would respond to the two chemos that were used. sue and gene

Sue and Gene.thanks for the encouraging words!
The radiation and chemo seem to be going well for me
Thanks again

Mys sister had a tumor that was wrapped around her heart and it was inoperable. She was placed on chemo (unsure of which ones) and had radiation. The tumor is GONE. She has been NED for over a year. Hang in there. My prayers are with you.

Hi Ben,
My mother is in the SAME exact situation as you. She was slotted to have a pneumonectomy last Monday and after 4 hours of surgery, they were unable to remove the lung due to the tumor being attached to the aorta.

It is so inspiring to hear of many similar situations that had successful outcomes. Thank you everyone for sharing.

My mom's radiation and chemo begins in a few weeks. She is stage 3B. What stage are you?

And yes, prayer and positive thinking is so powerful!

My thoughts + prayers are with you and your family!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders