Treatment Options for Squamous NSCLC

My dad was diagnosed in February of this year with squamous NSCLC. He completed 5 rounds of carbo/taxol but had to stop because of the toll it took on his body. The doctor said radiation wasn't an option, but from what I've read on this site, it looks like it is. What else can he do? Any suggestions on chemos or radiation therapies would be greatly appreciated.

11 replies. Join the discussion

Sorry to hear about your father. Unfortunately, I don't know much about squamous. I'd like to suggest going to cancergrace.org and asking the onc there what they might suggest. You should state your father's age and any health issues.
Good luck and take care, JC

Thank you. Squamous seems to be a whole other beast in itself. I will definitely check out the website!

I had radiation, and have squamous cell, and adenocarcinoma. I had carbo/taxol in which I had a severe allergic reaction so was then put on gemzar, I am in remission for 4 1/2 years.
Ask about Gemzar for dad.
Also getr another opinion. If they are saying no treatment options, and no radiation. Get a life here!!! Of course radiation is an option.
Good luck, Sandy

Just to let you know that there can be surprises in this group -- my husband (squamous cell nsclc) has been tested for EGFR and is positive (not so typical).
I also read something recently on cancergrace.org about some success in treating squamous cell cancer with the breast cancer drug Abraxane:
here is the link:
http://cancergrace.org/lung/2010/06/15/abraxane-asco-follow-u/
Best of luck,
Jane

Chemo is not the only treatment. You don't need to take "no radiation" for an answer. There are many kinds of radiation treatments. You might want to explore the possibility of CyberKnife treatments in which radiation is focused directly on the tumors. This was pioneered at Stanford Medical Center in Palo Alto CA and is now available in numerous clinics throughout the US. My husband is going to have CyberKnife treatment for two small brain mets next month. He has had a total of 9 brain mets successfully treated with GammaKnife over the past year.

Second opinions can really help. good luck.

My dad has squamous cell lc and was treated with Alimta after his initial round of cisplatin/etoposide and radiation. He has been NED for 1 year. Alimta is not officially approved for squamous, but there are several people on this site who have squamous cell lc and have taken Alimta. I just wanted you to know that this could be an option for you.

Best wishes,
Brittiany

I was dx inf 2003 with 3B nsclc squamous & treated with 35 radiation and carbo/taxol txs. am in remission 7 yrs this July. get a 2nd opinion.

My husband also diagnosed 2007 with squamous nsclc in both lungs. He had radiation first - 35 treatments of targeted and then 4 chemo treatments carbo/taxol I believe. He has not mets and it shrunk both nodules. He has been in remission since. By the way, he had no side effects from radiation but perhaps a little fatigue.
ElaineNY

Awesome! Thank you all for the HOPE & information. It gets so discouraging at times, but we are all far from ready to give up. The doctor never has any encouraging words to say...
@ Cuddles53, how did your body handle Gemzar? How often do you have treatments? Are the side effects as rough as carbo/taxol?

Hi there!
My Mum has squamous cell NSCLC, adenocarcinoma... she had an inoperable tumour wrapped around a major arterty. She didn't go so well with carbo/taxol, didn't really do much, but then she had Gemzar/Cistplastin combined with radiation, which shrunk away the tumour to nothing - So perhaps do get a second opinion as I don't see why radiation isn't an option?
She is in early stages - she has been fighting fit and feeling good for a year now - her 1 year scan is this week - so fingers crossed it has kept it at bay!! But there are so many stories of people on here with the same situation, or even worse, than your Dad, and they are doing great - this place is great for hope! :-)

Hi, my mom was dx Sept 2009. She had 6 rounds carbo/gemzar. After first 3 rounds looked good. Next 3 round new growth. They switched her to Abraxine she has done 2 rounds. I always asking about rad. her dr would say she is not a canidate. Got second oppion they agreed. She then was starting with head ache. HEr
onc never gave her mri of the brain we thought pet scanned from head to toe. Started full brain rad today she has 3 small mets on the brain. Ask for brain mri. If you have to lie to get one. My mom is stage 4 nsclc squamous have to take one day at a time. Get results on Friday of her last pet, just hope the abraxine is working. This sight gives alot of support.
Good Luck
Lori

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders