Timeline for Chemo

It's been almost 6 weeks since my surgery and I had an oncologist appt yesterday. He wants to start chemo like next week. Here is my question. I want to move to another state and I'd like to do it as soon as I can. That would put off starting the chemo for at least another month. I'm wondering how long after surgery others have waited or had to wait to start chemo and whether or not you felt it was more harmful to wait. Thanks :)

17 replies. Join the discussion

No, No, No,....put your health first.

After my husband's lobectomy, they told us that chemo MUST start within 6 to 8 weeks after surgery.

If the purpose is to get stray cells, you don't want to give these potential cells a chance to survive. The only reason they even wait the 6 to 8 weeks is to give your body a chance to recover from surgery.

You can move after you recover from chemo.

I agree... don't wait. You can go ahead and start it and then transfer it to a local place once you are moved. It's recommend that you start it six weeks after surgery, from what I've read, for it to be most effective.

Hugs. :)

Lorie

My Onc told me no longer then 6 weeks for me to start chemo after surgery. Sooner is better! I did my treatments 13 years ago and they are still saying the same thing, so there must be a good reason as to why! I would start it as soon as possible if it were me.

Good luck!

No more than eight weeks seems to be the gold standard. My surgeon told me to build my strength first and that a few weeks wouldn't make a difference. He also said not to wait too long.

I agree with the 6-8 weeks. And it might be nice to be in a familar place with your doctors near by during chemo. Just a thought.

Erin

I agree with Erin and everyone else - stay in a place that is familiar and "home" and safe - to do your chemo - because you will feel restless and disinterested in everything and better to be in a "comfort" zone at that time. Do not delay on your chemo - 6 - 8 weeks max.
Karen

hi - I don't have any experience in this area - but would like to offer up a hug or two - hope you are feeling good!
hugs
Pat

Hi,

I had Stage 2 NSCLC and started chemo at 10 weeks because i wanted to get more opinions. I'm still here after 4 yr. 4 mo. However, looking back, if I had had my opinion info sooner, I would ahve done at 6 mo, after sugery.

Best wishes,
Joyce

Mine chemo was started 6 weeks to the day of my surgery - the sooner the better is best.

Bette

Joyce, did you intend to say '6 weeks' instead of 6 months? I understand about typing different words than what we are thinking :).

Bette

Yes

Thank you all for your suggestions. The thing is, I'm not comfortable here, and my real home is where I want to move to. I came here to visit and had to stay for awhile to take care of family, then just ended up getting a job and staying, but I am far from a place where I feel I have support and help. This is the most difficult for me because it's kind of hard doing this stuff alone. (This is a whole other issue, psychological crap I have to deal with) Lorie, I could start it here, but the transfer would take longer than the 3 week interval between treatments, because of my insurance. Anyway, I do appreciate everyone's input from your experiences. Thank you.
Barb

Hi Barb,

My mom will start chemo on Weds, which will be 8 1/2 weeks post surgery. We met with three different oncologists. Two suggested 8 weeks to give a little more time to recover from surgery. One said he prefered to have people as recovered as possible, as long as it was within 12 weeks. If you feel like you can hold out for 3-4 months, then start treatment soon and get it over with. If you absolutely can't stand being there anymore, then make getting an oncologist your first priority and make sure you will be able to start chemo as soon as possible, because your comfort level and attitude matter alot too!!

I hate to think of you going through this stuff alone! Just remember that we are all here for you for the support you need. Wish I could give you a big, big hug!

Linda

..i was chemo'd as soon as the onco was happy i was clear of a secondary infection, say 3 weeks..

..she'd have wacked me the day after if she could've..

..get started like yesterday, it helps to mop up the strays..

I agree.
My mom starts today,5 weeks after surgery.Perfect time is between 5-8 weeks.
Good luck.

My husband's surgery was 12/6/06...chemo started 1/11/07....And, he was back in the hosp. for a pulmonary embolism after surgery, but they still did NOT delay the chemo. They feel the sooner they start it the better your chance to not have a recurrence.
I understand your anxiety, but why don't you get treatment here; then, go home.

According to Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in NYC it is recommend to have chemo at least 2 months after surgery. The two month time limit is to heal from the surgery then to move on to the chemo.

God Bless,
Linda

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders